Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allow Borgs to Pick Up Items Based on Their Module
So, one issue with borging around is that when you want to repair something, you can't pick up after yourself, or reclaim items from the ground. For example, if I want to fix a line of grates, I end up leaving behind steel rods that I could be picking up and using.

This is also an issue when it comes to reinforced windows, since borgs have no way of actually using them. You can make them, but this is an exercise only suited to littering floors.

Lights are right out as well, since you can't repair or replace them, or put up new light fixtures.

I understand that one of the downsides of being a Cyborg is that you can't pick up items, but it seems like in these particular instances, it is only a hindrance keeping borgs from performing their jobs.
Part of me would want this, but when you think about it, a Borg that could pick up building materials would be IMMENSELY op. The way the current construct module works allows you do sort of do a repair job as a cyborg, but to truest work at your best you need to be working in tandem with a human.

If you're building things in round you're probably fixing a hole that a traitor blew in the station. If the Borg could pick these things up, you have a character that can access the area that needs fixing regardless of security level, is immune to the atmosphere and temperature of the vacuum of space could patch the hole, rebuild everything neatly, reprocess the shards on the floor onsite and sweep up after itself without breaking a sweat. Whereas a Borg who is there to facilitate a human engineer can choose to be either a walking construct o bot or if they have the engineering module, a sentient toolbox. A Borg with RCD can go in and make the area structurally sound but human hands are needed for the details. Seems like a fair trade off imo.
I'd be inclined to agree if repairs weren't absurdly stupid in the first place. It's a hundred times easier to break stuff than it is to fix it (by design, I'd imagine), so it only being ninety times easier wouldn't be the worst thing ever.
This would only be abused, borgs can drag and crate items that are a mess, lights are a nonissue since no one replaces them ever anyway, and even if they do a human can. Borgs have limited pickup functionality for a reason.
I would assume that limit is there to limit how much a cyborg running one module can do. But a Cyborg built for construction should be able to build the things the entire ship is made out of, and a Cyborg built for Engineering should be able to repair infrastructure like wires, pipes, and lighting (the third of which they currently don't."

Taking ten minutes to repair a room on the ship is not "game-breaking" or "abusable." It takes, like, one minute tops to make the pipe bomb that makes all the work meaningless anyway. I don't see the issue.
I'd like to see the engineer borg get a light tube dispenser thing, but there'd be no need to actually be able to pick up light tubes.
i just want mediborgs to be able to drag & lift corpses into the cloner/reclaimer like how they can put people on operating tables
babayetu83 Wrote:i just want mediborgs to be able to drag & lift corpses into the cloner/reclaimer like how they can put people on operating tables
Borgs being able to work the cloning machines is always something I've wanted to see happen, personally, and it makes sense that the medborgs would be the ones to do it.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:
babayetu83 Wrote:i just want mediborgs to be able to drag & lift corpses into the cloner/reclaimer like how they can put people on operating tables
Borgs being able to work the cloning machines is always something I've wanted to see happen, personally, and it makes sense that the medborgs would be the ones to do it.

Mediborgs can extract brains. crossarms
Maybe a new module can be added that can pick up stuff. They can't actually use it, just carry it around. And they can carry multiple crates like the forklift. They can help out delivering things for QM
Frank_Stein Wrote:Maybe a new module can be added that can pick up stuff. They can't actually use it, just carry it around. And they can carry multiple crates like the forklift. They can help out delivering things for QM

dont engi borgs already have a similar functionality to this, but regarding transporting gas canisters
how about for the light issue we just give the standard, engi, construction, and janitor borgs the light replacer other servers have
misto Wrote:
Frank_Stein Wrote:Maybe a new module can be added that can pick up stuff. They can't actually use it, just carry it around. And they can carry multiple crates like the forklift. They can help out delivering things for QM

dont engi borgs already have a similar functionality to this, but regarding transporting gas canisters
They can, although I haven't used it. Just extend that to crates, and maybe several slots for picking up an item and holding it securely. It can be a Courier Borg. Open their chest compartment to steal all the items they are carrying.
Construction borgs can repair what absolutely NEEDS to be repaired - that is, they can patch a hole in the wall or the floor. If the repair job needs to look pretty, with windows and lights and stuff, that's what a human is for. Same with engyborgs; if you need to reoxygenate a room and reconnect the wires, you can do that, but if you want to really go all out and fix the pipes and stuff too, that's a human's job.

The point of borg limitations is that they can do some aspect of the job better than humans do, but to really fully accomplish the entire job to full perfection, human intervention is needed. Construction and engineering borgs can do the essential jobs, closing hull breaches and restoring power, but anything beyond those bare essentials is the job of a human with too much free time.
If the main distinguishing thing about borgs is 'can only do one thing but does it Really Well', I don't think you should skimp out on the 'Really Well' part. You know who often ends up with way too much free time on their hands? Borgs, because when you can only do one thing and that thing doesn't need doing at the moment you have nothing useful to do. If constructor borgs got more options to make general aesthetic improvements to the station like replacing lights or making fancy floors or whatnot you would probably have less of them making a maze of doors in the hallway or a fortress in escape and ignoring actual station damage.