Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PDA message mechanics: sender code irrelevant?
So I set out to learn how to use the packet sniffer and packet sender on the Network Diagnostics Cart (for PDA) and I am having some issues.

I got myself 3 PDA's, PDA1 with the NDC, turned on the sniffer, sent a message from PDA2 to PDA3 and got the message from the sniffer:
Code:
command text_message
message doop
sender_name PDA2
address_1 [i]0200ba1b[/i]
sender [b]0201cce3[/b]
Fair enough, works fine.

Then I go to the Packet Sender on PDA1 and input:
Code:
command text_message
message zaz
address_1 [b]0201cce3[/b]
sender [i]0200ba1b[/i]
sender_name Gomba
and send the code. Sure enough, PDA2 gets a message from somebody named Gomba.

But then I try to send a reply from PDA2 to this person Gomba. Now if I understand correctly, this message should then end up on PDA3, because PDA2 thinks the sender ID of the message from Gomba is 0200ba1b. But that doesn't happen! Instead the message goes to PDA1! Worse, when I check the Detected PDA's list on PDA2, it says Gomba is now the new name of the owner of PDA1! That won't help me hide my identity, or forge a conversation, or other 'fun' things.

I am still so new at this stuff that I don't know what to make of this. Did I do it wrong? Is it intentional? Is it a bug? Is this something that players are no longer expected to try?

I have noticed that errors or omissions in packet construction have odd results. Example: if you don't enter an address, the message will be sent to all PDA's on a station, and that somehow results in a lot of angry responses. I think I need more help then the Wiki provides at this stage. Any tips?
Btw, that code isn't supposed to have HTML tags in there. More screw-ups from the rookie. :/
You cannot forge the sender on wireless packets.
The Grim Sleeper Wrote:That won't help me hide my identity, or forge a conversation.
You can still change sender_name. This allows you to spoof 'who you are' essentially. You just need to send out messages on your packet sender rather than just replying normally.
Yes, it does 'fix' itself if you re-scan the names but not many people do that. It's easier to reply to a PDA message in the chat window rather than the PDA itself.

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:Example: if you don't enter an address, the message will be sent to all PDA's on a station, and that somehow results in a lot of angry responses. I think I need more help then the Wiki provides at this stage. Any tips?
The way I explain this is as follows: You send the message out on the frequency, but not to a specific PDA. That causes all the other PDAs to receive it because it might be intended for them. You can use this mechanic to build PDA chatrooms with the help of mechanic components.
Somepotato Wrote:You cannot forge the sender on wireless packets.

I've tried using to use a stationary console/terminal to run SigCatcher, but I don't know how to make a normal non-wireless message, so I got stumped.
Do you know of any wired transmissions that could be easily created for testing purposes?

If a wireless network card is available in a terminal, can that terminal be used to send PDA messages? And will the sender then default to the used terminal, even tough it is not a PDA-compatible device?
zewaka Wrote:
The Grim Sleeper Wrote:That won't help me hide my identity, or forge a conversation.
You can still change sender_name. This allows you to spoof 'who you are' essentially. You just need to send out messages on your packet sender rather than just replying normally.
Yes, it does 'fix' itself if you re-scan the names but not many people do that. It's easier to reply to a PDA message in the chat window rather than the PDA itself.

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:Example: if you don't enter an address, the message will be sent to all PDA's on a station, and that somehow results in a lot of angry responses. I think I need more help then the Wiki provides at this stage. Any tips?
The way I explain this is as follows: You send the message out on the frequency, but not to a specific PDA. That causes all the other PDAs to receive it because it might be intended for them. You can use this mechanic to build PDA chatrooms with the help of mechanic components.

This isn't what he wants.
The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
Somepotato Wrote:You cannot forge the sender on wireless packets.

I've tried using to use a stationary console/terminal to run SigCatcher, but I don't know how to make a normal non-wireless message, so I got stumped.
Do you know of any wired transmissions that could be easily created for testing purposes?

If a wireless network card is available in a terminal, can that terminal be used to send PDA messages? And will the sender then default to the used terminal, even tough it is not a PDA-compatible device?

Yes. In order to send messages over wired network, the console has to be built over a data terminal.
Somepotato Wrote:
The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
Somepotato Wrote:""
""
Yes. In order to send messages over wired network, the console has to be built over a data terminal.
Could you clarify on the Yes bit? I still don't really understand how the programs SigCatcher and SigSender work on stationary computers.

How can data terminals be constructed? The wiki points to the mechanic, but that lead me nowhere: the Device Analyzer doesn't work on the ones already in place, and I don't know where to find a recipe list or construction manual to build them from scratch.
The device analyser does work on data terminals. You're probably trying to scan a power terminal, they're just called 'terminal'. Now that we've got cogmap 2 try playing Mechanic, the new lab starts with 4 data terminals inside and like six in maintenance next to it.
The Grim Sleeper Wrote:Yes. In order to send messages over wired network, the console has to be built over a data terminal.
Could you clarify on the Yes bit? I still don't really understand how the programs SigCatcher and SigSender work on stationary computers.

How can data terminals be constructed? The wiki points to the mechanic, but that lead me nowhere: the Device Analyzer doesn't work on the ones already in place, and I don't know where to find a recipe list or construction manual to build them from scratch.[/quote]

From top to bottom:

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:...SigCatcher...
SigCatcher has two modes, on and auto. In on mode catches all packets (sent or received, I haven't figured out), the caveat is that only can store one packet, so it always wil show the last captured one. Auto mode catches the first packet and then turns off, discarding the rest. I've never used SigCatcher seiously I usually use a sniffer if it's wired or a wireless mechanic component wired to a speaker and setting to catch all packets.

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:...SigSender...
Also called SigPal. It lets you create packages adding and removing key-value pairs, effectively making your own package. The basic keys are address_1 for the destination and sender. It's really useful, you can even call and recall the shuttle using this program.

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:...stationary computers...
I'd say the wiki it's sometimes a little vague but it always pays to read it well and test the stuff yourself.
Computers can have 3 different kinds of network cards. A wired one, that automatically connects to the powernet if the computer is built over a data terminal, a wireless card on which is set up to a frequency (using the periph command, read thinkdos on the wiki), and a mode; net being normal wireless networking, no limits other than the sender ID is always sent; free mode that lets you forge the sender but has very limited range, and wire (I'm not sure, portable computers has it) that lets you connect to the data terminal as well. There is also the limited wireless card that doesn't let you change frequencies.

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:..data terminals..
As dabir said, scan a proper data terminal not a power terminal, those are not scannable by the device analyzer. Also read up the wiki on placing wires, because you'll need them well connected.