Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pay Gannets to draw you a SS13 thing!
Hello!
I was gonna' hold off posting this until we had a big self-promotion thread for everyone, but I had some jobs fall through and it felt like I may as well do it now.

I draw things for a living!
You may have seen me in the art thread, or in the sprites subforum drawing things!
If you like the things I draw, specifically space station 13 related things or those tiling wallpapers I've posted.
Please consider commissioning me to draw you something similar!

↓This is the thing you'll need to click on if you want to do that. ↓
http://gannets.bigcartel.com

If there's something you'd like that doesn't fit in to those categories, feel free to give me a buzz on IRC or on here. Thanks!

I'm not in dire-straits like other folk who've posted about donations and stuff, but if you've got some spare cash and wanna' see me draw your spaceman or other SS13 themed image, I will totally do that.

Feel free to gimme' a shout if any of the prices seem way unfair and I'll change 'em.
Thanks for your time, everyone!
Screw that, gimme money and I'll put you into VOX.
I already got you to say Strawberry!

Also, thanks to folks who've spoken to me about paying me for drawings so far. I drew this chemicompiler avatar for Styxic.

[Image: ZP9UFqC.gif]
Haine wanted a parrot wallpaper!

[Image: 4uL8fpR.png]
I drew this for Jasmine87!

[Image: YQ7nf8x.png]

I drew this for Spy and Haine!

[Image: gboMyUy.png]

I drew this for Spy!

[Image: hRtr82p.png]
These are all amazing.
Gannets drew me a thing. Throw him money to draw you a thing too!

[Image: p1FOcD4.png]
You know i still think these are extremely overpriced.
Alrighty, thanks for the input!
(03-10-2016, 01:07 AM)thehman03 Wrote: You know i still think these are extremely overpriced.

Different tastes I guess. It was worth every penny to me.
(03-10-2016, 01:07 AM)thehman03 Wrote: You know i still think these are extremely overpriced.

Perhaps you should attempt creating art that's as unique and cohesive as Gannet's. When you see how much time and effort goes into this, you'll start to understand that price tag. 

While we're on the subject... Gannets how would you feel about making me a tiling wallpaper of propuffs and bojack? If you're for it, I'll forward the funds.
I'd be down! Shout at me over in irc and we'll get it figured out!
(03-10-2016, 10:49 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Perhaps you should attempt creating art that's as unique and cohesive as Gannet's. When you see how much time and effort goes into this, you'll start to understand that price tag.
That's a thinly veiled insult if i've ever seen one. that aside, twenty dollars is just too much for anyone with a currency below the US dollar, and one hundred and fifty dollars is outrageous, i can understand there's time there but pricing them lower easily opens up people buying more than one painting is the point i'm trying to make, you rude ass.
Have you ever dealt with artists and commissions before? I've had a lot of exposure to how artist commission shenanigans via my sister and selling her own commissions, and have also seen a lot of pricing models from people.

There's actually a huge thing where artists deal with undervaluing problems, like a deflation of sorts for art pieces, artists are actually most of the time actually undercharging for their stuff. That does though bring an odd point, Gannet's stuff is expensive for the norm, but the norm is under-priced.
(03-11-2016, 06:28 PM)thehman03 Wrote:
(03-10-2016, 10:49 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Perhaps you should attempt creating art that's as unique and cohesive as Gannet's. When you see how much time and effort goes into this, you'll start to understand that price tag.
That's a thinly veiled insult if i've ever seen one. that aside, twenty dollars is just too much for anyone with a currency below the US dollar, and one hundred and fifty dollars is outrageous, i can understand there's time there but pricing them lower easily opens up people buying more than one painting is the point i'm trying to make, you rude ass.

There was no veil or intended insult. It's simply obvious from your sentiments that you're not accustomed to this sort of thing. I was being serious. Sit down and try to create something like this work from scratch and you'll understand rather quickly where it's coming from.

It's a matter of realizing that someone has the right to charge money for work that takes time. Think about it this way: an artist gets the commission, has to come up with an original idea for how to present it, sketch it out multiple times more than likely, then the actual piece is started once he/she has a satisfactory starting point, that then gets reworked and revised depending on the artist's process and what the client wants. (Not to mention that it could all be scrapped and started over again)

How long does all of that take? Being generous, let's say it's done in one session of five hours. Even getting paid just $15/hour, that's already $75 just for an hourly rate not to mention receiving a one of a kind piece of art from an artist whose work you've sought out and want to support. All of this and the time and energy they have put into their craft and getting to the place they are now, where they're comfortable sharing their work with others and putting a price tag on their talents. (Talent that has to be worked toward and achieved)

Only to have someone who doesn't have a clue come in and tell them it's overpriced. You're insensitive and are, in fact, the one who is rude. (Okay, now this last bit was intended as an insult)

Please PM me with any further vitriolic commentary you may have in response to my statement so we're not clogging up this thread with this nonsense any further. Some banjo thing somebody bought for some great re