Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life support machine
When you work in medbay, Cardiac arrest is basically a death sentence. From what I can glean, if the way the damage works, if you get lucky and shock them out of arrest, theres a very high chance that they'll slip right back into it again from the damage they're taking from being in crit. And you can't stop defibbing them because they keep arresting again and you can''t fix the damage that is making them arrest because you are constantly defibbing.

So I suggest a life support machine, it could be tacked onto the same mechanics that power the iv bags. An entity that has to be attached to the patient, and remain adjacent to them to work. but while attached that person cannot arrest. It won't stop cardiac failure, and it wont work if a patient is already in arrest. But it offers a more reasonable approach to how you save peoples lives. As opposed to Fix everything now or he'll die you can focus on getting the patient stable then bringing him back up to full health.

Also when shit really hits the fan and patients start to turn up in waves from the latest explosion, it allows you to practise a little triage allowing you to juggle emergencies and make some pretty cool snap decisions about priority patients and shit. It shouldn't be an easy hook up "no dying machine" but just an additional tool to hold onto a patient while you run around the medbay screaming.
Or, you could get a second person to help you instead of trying to be SSJ Dr. House.
Berrik Wrote:Or, you could get a second person to help you instead of trying to be SSJ Dr. House.

lol

Good luck with that.
I disagree. It's entirely possible to shock someone, run over and get Salbutamol to deal with any Oxy damage, vend an Atropine bottle, head over to shock them again then give them the Salbutamol, run back over to get a syringe and fill it with Atropine, run back and then inject it, which should bring it down to more reasonable crit levels which can then be sorted out by dealing with the relevant damage, then you can finish them up with Epi, Charcoal and whatever else you need.

Of course, you can just let them die then clone them. Or chuck them in a Cryo Cell.
Honestly, this isn't a big issue. I've never had any trouble with cardiac arrest, just carry around the proper supplies with you. Atropine, salbutamol, and medical belts exist for a reason.
Epineprhine first, then shock. The epi will keep them going.
I never really have a problem with cardiac arrest patients. Either work fast or have a team work with you.

Also we already have sleepers and I'm pretty sure they act as sort-of life support machines (???).
If you REALLY wanna get fancy, get the spaced rum from the RD's office and extract the Yobihodazine from it. Any amount of it in your system removes all oxygen damage, while causing a bit of brain damage.
A trick I always use it that I carry around a full hypospray of a half-salbutamol/half-epinephrine mix. simply put 5 salbutamol pills into a large beaker. take the epinephrine reserve tank, and a third 50 unit beaker, then put half the the epi into the smaller beaker and put half the salbutamol in the Epi reserve tank. you can get 2 beakers full of mix. set your hypo to inject the entire contents when used. this way the person you are helping gets 15 units of epinephrine and 15 units of salbutamol into its system. this gives you a large amount of leeway to treat other problems the patient has.
use cryo.
Cardiac arrest would be less of a death sentence if the general medical staff had access to more than a single defibrillator.
Mofleaker Wrote:Cardiac arrest would be less of a death sentence if the general medical staff had access to more than a single defibrillator.

There are 2 more, but they're locked in the RDs office for some weird reason and he never shares them.
Sex_Robot Wrote:
Mofleaker Wrote:Cardiac arrest would be less of a death sentence if the general medical staff had access to more than a single defibrillator.

There are 2 more, but they're locked in the RDs office for some weird reason and he never shares them.

MDs office, and usually asking him or asking the AI to let you in works.
I do wish sleepers autoinjected saline-glucose and salbutamol when needed, but that's about it. Having something that autoinjected epi or autoshocked someone inside would be overkill in my eyes.

I'd say about 95% of being a supermedic is being prepared. That is, taking the first 10-15 minutes of (usual) calm to get everything ready for the inevitable shit storm. Doing more advanced stuff like putting together pentetic acid or grabbing strange is common amongst the supermedics. Though I feel strange makes em a tad lazy and or cocky for some reason. It's a bit like the defib bit above. You have to grab that before shit happens, and since you're probably the only responsible MD on staff, never drop it.

This is coming from a guy who only goes as far as making synthflesh.
I'm the kind of doc who works with perfluro and atropine and some other exotic chems like yobihodazine when I get the chance..

And I still think heart attacks are too damn unpredictable. Sure, prevent oxy damage and all that, but if someone is really badly damaged or is poisoned, having a heart attack will be the end.
Now you'd get people saying "well duh, heart attacks are fatal, let will be will be" and I agree in a sense. But not when you have a defib. With a defib you should have a fighting chance, but you often don't.

I feel like the relationships between heart attacks and defibs should have a small retweak.
Give a defib a 25-30% chance to fail. "Mr X doesn't respond"
The success of a defib will cause the person to inhale deeply, which is already a prompt "Mr X inhales deeply". A successful defib instantly cures some variable of oxy damage, I'm not sure code-wise what's reasonable, like 25-40 oxy damage or something. This will give some leg room to work with. Note they'll still need to deal with brain damage.

Now the second part is more along the line of expanding the "cardiac abscondment" or missing heart. Currently this only occurs with chems such as heart worms and is very rare to come across. To make this a little more in game, replace cardiac abscondment with "critical heart failure" which will require a heart replacement. This comes across if you have been in crit more than 2 times and have a heart attack, you have a 50% odds of going into critical heart failure. This will require a heart transplant. The only difference between cardiac abscondment which is nigh impossible to keep a player alive with critical heart failure is that the latter has stages 1/3. Stage 1 is constant cardiac arrests. Stage 2 is constant heart attacks. Stage 3 is instant death. It progresses through the stages quickly, but if you have another person working with you, you can get a robotic/monkey heart quickly enough.