Mentor Application: Schnugaf - Colonel Chestbridge
Usual Character Name: Colonel Chestbridge
BYOND Username:Schnugaf
Recommended by (if applicable):
Times Available: Weekends - 6pm - 02am CEST Weekdays - 7pm - 11pm CEST

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum):

I applied for mentor about one year ago and thought I'd give it a shot again, this is my last application http://forum.ss13.co/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3266. So this is probably gonna be a bit of a rehash as I found that the last application portrayed me well.
I've changed my usual name as I got bored of the old ones, that were Dr.Nigel Burk and Daniel Faraday. For the past two or three months I've been going by the name of Colonel Chestbridge, almost exclusively playing Captain with the occasional Sec whenever Captain is taken. I almost always end up as Captain, whether this is because people don't like it anymore or because it's such a huge target for any antagonists, I don't know. But I thoroughly enjoy it.

My playtime recently has been irregular, although I've played heaps, this has mainly been because I've been really busy with college and normal work the past year, but I've always crammed in some Space Station during the weekends as a break from the coding and 3D-Modelling I've had to do. I'm done with all my exams now, and for the summer I'll be playing a lot more than I used to.

I've been playing on and off since I first discovered the game around 2007/2008, and well, I've had a lot of people help me understand the mechanics. From making my first bomb back in 2007/2008, getting banned from a server after experimenting with atmospherics and killing everyone back in 2009, to making a hellfoam-grenade that prolonged the server restart for several minutes for some odd reason.
I've had long pauses from the game, and always found helpful people to update me on all the changes when I came back again.

Since I started playing more actively in 2013 I've had a lot of mentor people answer my rather dumb questions about little things I hadn't picked up on, and I always get a polite and helpful answer back.
I guess I want to give something back, I've had to learn a lot of the mechanics over and over again as new updates and bad memory made me rather confused at times.
I know how hard this game is to get into, and if I can help someone love this game as much as I do, that'd be a great.

Now a days I am pretty competent within medical, science and engineering. I'm also pretty clear on the rules and ethics of security.
I used to be obsessed with Chemistry, food, booze and space exploration, and I'm fairly confident in my chemistry ability to blow up the whole station.
And on the off chance I run around as a paramedic healing people or do silly gimmicks as Staff Assistant.

But as stated above, I've fallen in love with being a Captain, perhaps mostly because of the new outfits(I always ditch the armor in favor of just wearing the new outfits). Generally I feel I handle the Captain role pretty well, and I patrol around the station helping people out and trying to prevent the whole station being as borked as it often is. The thing about being a Captain, at least in my play style, is that I'm more often than not a reserve for any of the vital crew that should suddenly go missing or would rather play the slot machine for a full hour. So I tend to be a paramedic running around saving neglected crew members left to die, a makeshift engineer that manages to set up a stable engine or the helping hand that enforces the law upon antagonists. I can't say for sure, but I think there are people that would agree I'm a pretty decent Captain, although I will completely retract that statement if anyone were to disagree with that, I also tend to survive the whole round, despite not wearing any armor and just walking around the halls the entire game.

When I play Security I usually lean more towards punishing Vigilantes. If a traitor attacks someone or is about to blow the place up, I'll go ahead and arrest him, but the game can be rather off-putting if you are immediately arrested/killed for being a bit careless, so I usually ignore traitors that makes minor mistakes. I despise Vigilantes however, and I will do anything in my power to make sure they don't get away with their free kill, so that's my security play style.

I lurk on the SS13 SA-Threads everyday and I'm usually online on the IRC, occasionally joining in on the conversations.

I have a lot of knowledge of the basics in SS13, there are of course a lot of stuff I don't know, like figuring out the damn solarium and a lot of the mechanics stuff, but when it comes to the important bits of running the station, I am fairly confident in my ability to help others. So I hope that more people reply this time around, be it good or bad, I'd even love for people to tell me all the negative things about me if it would make me a better player.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):
- I've been banned from at least one server (Not sure if goonstation) for experimenting with atmos.
- I've been banned from the Goonstation IRC for a good amount of time (October 2013 and up until sometime this spring) after I, regretfully, made several bad and inappropriate jokes about the rules concerning - Sex and Rape - on bay station 12
- And I may have some really old bans on me from back in the day that I don't remember, but they are at least over 4 years old.
I...do not know you. Neither your username nor your player name ring any bells, and while I haven't been playing quite as frequently this past month or so, I completely fail to recall you in any capacity. Your app looks solid, but...I just don't have any in-game experience to base it off of, I'm afraid. confused
I'm not really familiar with you at all. I also sort of wonder how much you know about the station if you don't know if you got banned for atmos here or not. Atmos has been gone a long long time on this server - well before I began playing as I understand it. Your application also seems very focused on just a couple roles which, again, isn't a red flag on its own.

On the whole I won't voice 'no' but I would like to see you about more often and in different roles.
Scratch what I said about roles. I missed a paragraph and a half twice in a row. The wanting to see you about bit still applies though.
Erev Wrote:I'm not really familiar with you at all. I also sort of wonder how much you know about the station if you don't know if you got banned for atmos here or not. Atmos has been gone a long long time on this server - well before I began playing as I understand it. Your application also seems very focused on just a couple roles which, again, isn't a red flag on its own.

Just wanted to quickly reply on this that it happened waaaaay back when donut station was pretty new, so four or five years ago now? Other than that, I see your point.
Who?
I certainly remember your name, and have seen you play but I can't say much more than that. You mainly seem to play captain so I can't really judge your aptitude in other departments, and you've never really demonstrated as captain that you know a lot about other jobs. Now that isn't to say you don't join in as other roles, but I've never personally seen you in them or to the point where I can say, yes he really knows this. The amount of time you have played certainly speaks to the amount of knowledge you could possess, but as most people don't really know who you are no one knows how much you have actually played.

Although it isn't a prerequisite being active on the forums (or IRC, but I can't speak for that) really helps with people getting to know you. You joined in 2013, and yet you have 3 posts all of which are application posts. Try to get more involved with the community, and get noticed (in a good way) in-game by talking with people more. You certainly have an easy to remember name, so I don't doubt with more time in-game people would remember you a lot better.
If he's been playing since 2013 and hasn't raised any red flags or pissed off any admins then he probably would be a decent mentor.

Then again, I don't think I've ever seen him at any point.
Selmy Wrote:If he's been playing since 2013 and hasn't raised any red flags or pissed off any admins then he probably would be a decent mentor.
I have to agree.
Congrats!