Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riot Shields
Station riots are a bit uncommon nowdays, but I still think it'd be nice to have a good old Space Shield.

- hold it in one hand
- strongly protects you being disarmed while you use that hand
- restricts others from pushing you, fat-style

It'd just be a simple and fun addition to Riot lockers
I'd like to see it with passive bonuses while being held, and then active ones if it's the the hand in use.

So maybe the disarm bonus as well as some reduced melee damage could be passive, and the non-movement and maybe projectile resistance while active?
Maybe make it so that if you have it in your active hand while on the disarm intent it can shove people down.
Weavel Wrote:Station riots are a bit uncommon nowdays, but I still think it'd be nice to have a good old Space Shield.

- hold it in one hand
- strongly protects you being disarmed while you use that hand
- restricts others from pushing you, fat-style

It'd just be a simple and fun addition to Riot lockers

If staff assistants could get a more terrible version made of staples and wire and a metal sheet that might make it more fun.

Imagine a firefight running around in like mining base with zip guns and makeshift shields playing spaceman paintball. last man standing wins.

Also the crew rarely if ever has a good reason to riot, like there's no greytide and rev/gang style rounds are pretty rare.

I still like the idea of sec riot shields though. Security should have a few unused combat items laying around.

Perhaps the riot shields should offer "some" protection against wizard's fireball. Like a spaceman version of captain america's shield you need HOS's permission to use.
atomic1fire Wrote:Like a spaceman version of captain america's shield you need HOS's permission to use.

y e s
atomic1fire Wrote:If staff assistants could get a more terrible version made of staples and wire and a metal sheet that might make it more fun.
I feel like chairs could serve this purpose.
Honestly replace these with the 40mm riot smokers and they'd serve more a purpose for area denial than anything.

Everyone has their own idea about riot shields it seems but I feel like Weavels main post is the best idea. Having the disarm resistance, fat persons push would be cool. Having a damage reduction against projectiles and thrown objects would also be good, but it needs to have zero melee resistance for balancing purposes.

And another balancing aspect.. it should be battery powered and requires to be recharged. I'm thinking more along the lines of an energy shield than a riot shield, in that when powered down it can fit in your bag, powered on it only lasts for so long before cutting out and requiring to recharge.
If this doesn't get added, I think that the bomb disposal suits should at least be given the no-pushing "fat-style" ability. The gear is meant for riot control after all. Also considering its purpose as a highly protective bomb suit, you wouldn't want to be nudged out of the way by a passer-by while doing some critical task (maybe like defusing a bomb??)
Sundance Wrote:Honestly replace these with the 40mm riot smokers and they'd serve more a purpose for area denial than anything.

Everyone has their own idea about riot shields it seems but I feel like Weavels main post is the best idea. Having the disarm resistance, fat persons push would be cool. Having a damage reduction against projectiles and thrown objects would also be good, but it needs to have zero melee resistance for balancing purposes.

And another balancing aspect.. it should be battery powered and requires to be recharged. I'm thinking more along the lines of an energy shield than a riot shield, in that when powered down it can fit in your bag, powered on it only lasts for so long before cutting out and requiring to recharge.
Hrm. If they are energy shields, what if it was like, a piece of wearable gear? Like a special glove? Give it a little activation icon in the upper left corner of the hub
I mean, considering balancing. I think having it take up a hand slot would be fine but if energy consumption is the balance, might as well free up that other hand?
I do kinda miss the old riot shields, and the idea of using a folding chair as a shitty shield is hilarious.
Cogwerks Wrote:I do kinda miss the old riot shields, and the idea of using a folding chair as a shitty shield is hilarious.

Yea overall it sounds like good fun. shitty version shouldnt block any damage though. one of my least favorite parts of melee combat in goonstation is getting pushed around while trying to stop someone. so far only getting fat or wearing one of three pairs of magboots can stop it. making the ability to not be pushed easier to get would be interesting, and it isnt like you cant disarm the shield and then push them around.
I posted a thread about riot shields awhile a go. It didn't really get shot down, the thread just died somewhere, lost within the vast sea of ideas that will never get heard from again.

Pretty much the idea is that a riot sheild is a metal shield with a glass view hole. (In model) It's a large item and locked in the armory (So you NEED to hold it in your hand. Also armory only so it can't be abused, need a HoS to get one)
When walking around, the shield is held at your side and will protect that side. (For example if you have it in your right hand, it protects the right side by 1 tile of your body)
Either switch to your active hand holding the shield (Or using a toggle button like a welder mask) you hold the shield in front of you, forcing you to walking speed. The shield will not only protect the front of you 100% but has a chance to block attacks from the front left and front right tile of you (by about 75% or if you want to do full protection maybe make the shield slowly drain stam when its being held up?) Being forced to walk will make it harder for a lone sec officer to protect himself against multiple people, but if they have guns it will help keep himself at ranged engagements.

The riot shield in this capacity would be useless to be used by a lone sec officer without backup and would promote teamwork. One guy becomes the shield and helps block damage while another officer works on taking down the perp.