Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Power Transmission Laser Feedback
[Image: eLaAk6P.gif]
My apologies for reading not through the rest of this thread (5 pages thus far), and I'm guessing this has been posed many many times before, but could this at least be east of the railway that people walk across? It's annoying being gibbed by a non-traitor because "huehue sorry hellfire today" when you're taking a shortcut in space.

Since engineers have access to spacesuits and air tanks, it could easily be accessed by them if it was connected via catwalk east of the catwalk between disposals and the smelter.
Holy cow. First, this is pretty sweet. Second, can there be a 1% chance that walking in front of the high powered beam gives you crazy powers instead of gibbing/immolating you?

I'm just imagining some traitor grabbing an assistant and throwing them into the laser while laughing only to see the assistant start shaking violently and glowing blue as he becomes godlike and smotes the antag.
John Badman throws Kevin Spessy.
John Badman laughs.
Oh, no! Keven Spessy begins convulsing uncontrollably.
Kevin Spessy has become one with the universe!
Kevin Spessy obliterates John Badman with a quick glance.
(10-29-2015, 04:37 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Holy cow. First, this is pretty sweet. Second, can there be a 1% chance that walking in front of the high powered beam gives you crazy powers instead of gibbing/immolating you?

I'm just imagining some traitor grabbing an assistant and throwing them into the laser while laughing only to see the assistant start shaking violently and glowing blue as he becomes godlike and smotes the antag.

It should give you a twice as powerful version of the gamma ray exposure mutation that runs out and the PTL should be the only thing that can heal you/recharge your powers once you've become mega-hulk.
(09-27-2016, 06:46 AM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote:
(10-29-2015, 04:37 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Holy cow. First, this is pretty sweet. Second, can there be a 1% chance that walking in front of the high powered beam gives you crazy powers instead of gibbing/immolating  you?

I'm  just imagining some traitor grabbing an assistant and throwing them into the laser while laughing only to see the assistant start shaking violently and glowing blue as he becomes godlike and smotes the antag.

It should give you a twice as powerful version of the gamma ray exposure mutation that runs out and the PTL should be the only thing that can heal you/recharge your powers once you've become mega-hulk.

Alternatively, how about it turns you into a macho man for a while
So, having played engineer a fair bit, I feel I should give some commentary here.

There is too wide a gap between an engine that is good and an engine that works on *magic*. Specifically, the PTL's reaction to that. A good but relatively normal burn is 3 Mw, a fantastic but relatively normal burn - that cannot last - is 1-10 GW. Beyond that, the engine stops functioning like an engine and starts working on atmos magic.

Anything above 10 GW has had the pipes burst, and all semblance of reason vanish. The engine starts working on a mystical momentum.

I do not really feel like the PTL should be calibrated for higher than 10 GW for this reason, not in any normal way. Maybe a gateway to hell opens, or something else special. The PTL, however, would be more engaging if it worked on more reasonable scales. As it stands, low-end use of it just isn't rewarding enough.
Im inclined to agree, RoboTek. I find myself playing CE often since I learned how to do a (in my opinion) solid hellburn, and it doesn't take too much effort. Considering the in game mentions of the generator hungering I like to set up some pentagrams on the ground in engineering along with notes scattered around that hint towards something like that.

Your mention of a portal to hell is especially interesting. The new Doom game in 2016 had something called Argent Energy (https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Argent_energy) that was gathered from hell and used to power Mars and Earth. Might be a fun connection to throw in?
The engine is limited more by time than difficulty. 999TW is something only a few hit consistently in normal, 60 minute rounds. Even then they only hit it by 45-55 in. Having it set that high is a good bar for everyone to shoot for.

I'm inclined to define a hellburn as an engine setup which, so long as it has fuel, will exponentially accrue heat. Anything below that is a failed hellburn, and just results in engine destruction.

On the creepy note, I agree. It'd be neat if the 999TW laser had some kind of void reaction when involved with telecrystals or the crown or other lore items. It ties into hemera so well, after all.