Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Power Transmission Laser Feedback
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Infinite Monkeys Wrote:e: Wait you can just slide under the laser? Code-wise that doesn't make any fucking sense confused
I didn't know that either, but if that is true, please keep it in.
I'll be honest. I was lazy when I tested that. The laser might have been low enough to where it had no effect at all. I just thought it always at least set you on fire a little. And yeah, there aren't many people who can/will push it up to a pw. Especially since the setup generally means you're gonna have power outages before the engine gets going.
Vitatroll Wrote:
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Infinite Monkeys Wrote:e: Wait you can just slide under the laser? Code-wise that doesn't make any fucking sense confused
I didn't know that either, but if that is true, please keep it in.
I'll be honest. I was lazy when I tested that. The laser might have been low enough to where it had no effect at all. I just thought it always at least set you on fire a little. And yeah, there aren't many people who can/will push it up to a pw. Especially since the setup generally means you're gonna have power outages before the engine gets going.
Work fast enough and you'll get no power outages, I generally get it running at around 8 minutes in and power outages don't start until around 15. If outages do occur it's because people start using the PTL too early and divert all the power from the SMES's to it instead, meaning that they drain too fast and run out of power in seconds.
There was a round I came in late at some point about a day or two a go and the station was running a hellburn and the laser was on... I came in as the HoP. Station had over 100,000,000 credits. Mind = Blown
Last time I checked I got 10,000cr/100gw pulse in my personal account. Sounds linear. A pretty good chunk of change indeed.

Nurdock: The type of setup I'm talking about has you heating the pipes for 20-30 minutes. The longer the better, actually. It's not that big a deal, regardless, as I can just hotwire solars while I wait. I just have to hope some poor sap doesn't drag in a plasma cannister. RIP.

I checked again earlier. You can, indeed, do the laser limbo. Even with a 100tw beam. I'd call it a feature.

On dealing with the input/output, you have a few options. If I can't get the AI to do it for me (they tend to take over regardless), I just set the output to max and the input to a respectable number and try to get back before that number triples. Not efficient, but there's no real point in babysitting the PTL during the mw stage of an engine that will be hitting 100tw+. If you want to babysit (I find it relaxing, myself), then all you need is a firesuit and a topped off etank. I also pop out the windows to release the PTL room atmos, I have yet to have a problem with heat doing this.
I dont even understand the point of this laser, is it just a fun little thing to fuck with?
waffels5000 Wrote:I dont even understand the point of this laser, is it just a fun little thing to fuck with?
No, laser = money
medsal15 Wrote:
waffels5000 Wrote:I dont even understand the point of this laser, is it just a fun little thing to fuck with?
No, laser = money
Also it can incinerate people, making it a very effective, albeit very situational, method of murder and/or corpse disposal.

Also there's been thoughts about introducing a traitor item you can use to redirect the laser somehow to make it a weapon of mass destruction or something of the ilk.
I kinda think it might be cool if the laser had a telecrystal interaction.

Telecrystals are pretty rare to see most of the time, and shooting them with a laser should do something, even if it was deadly or just amusing. Like spawn a couple harmless ducks on the station, or destroying a bunch at once releases something particularly nasty.

Throw enough tele crystals into the laser and you should either get a sweet portal or a fake disaster round.

Basically like that one puzzle on the asteroid belt.
atomic1fire Wrote:Basically like that one puzzle on the asteroid belt.

The Hemera VII?
Cirrial Wrote:
atomic1fire Wrote:Basically like that one puzzle on the asteroid belt.

The Hemera VII?

Probably, I just really want a half life style interaction with the space laser for someone brave enough to throw a telecrystal or more at it.
$100,000 credits per tick almost feels underwhelming for 999 TW of transfer.

Of course we ended up rolling the generator beyond any of the prefixes, so I guess that's to be expected Haw haw haw
Zamujasa Wrote:$100,000 credits per tick almost feels underwhelming for 999 TW of transfer.

Of course we ended up rolling the generator beyond any of the prefixes, so I guess that's to be expected Haw haw haw

That does seem a bit underwhelming
Seems logical to me cause nowhere on Earth could possibly need that much power. Despite what right-wingers believe, the economy does run off demand and not supply.
There's recently been a trend of engineers setting up the engine, then cutting power to the SMES so they can make more money with the PTL.

Could we not do that?
Grek Wrote:There's recently been a trend of engineers setting up the engine, then cutting power to the SMES so they can make more money with the PTL.

Could we not do that?
the heads of staff should simply respond by firing them all. Out of a pod bay.