Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Power Transmission Laser Feedback
Would be cool if higher outputs meant different colored lasers.
Sundance Wrote:Would be cool if higher outputs meant different colored lasers.

thats not how lasers work
Splatpope Wrote:

From a physics aspect, yes this is not how lasers work.
From a gameplay aspect, who the hell cares.
Splatpope Wrote:

different frequencies have different energy levels. if you hold intensity relatively constant and increase power, you'll end up moving up the color spectrum, from microwave to ultraviolet :]

I mean, conventional lasers don't do that (I'm talking more along the lines of the excitation of electrons releasing photons in general), but this is ss13 and we can just say it's a plasma-gas laser and wave our hands around
Only this clearly isn't a conventional laser.
It's some sort of sci-fi FTL contraption that does wireless energy transfer on a galactic scale and just so happens to function like a "laser"

Saying "that's not how lasers work" is a very lazy rebuttal.
Didn't realise this existed, ran into it as a changeling while running away from sec and dragging the HoP's corpse, vaporizing myself instantly

10/10
I'd like it should be a level above ashgib where bodies just flash-explode from the amount of energy dumped into them. Also: Non-body objects seem to be unaffected by the laser: Flew a pod and pushed a gas canister into a 900ish GW beam with no effect.
Admiral jimbob Wrote:Didn't realise this existed, ran into it as a changeling while running away from sec and dragging the HoP's corpse, vaporizing myself instantly

10/10

I believe I was chasing you when this happened. Recovered the HoP's corpse afterwards.

Also. The 10TW upper limit on the laser is far too low, even though most people never seem to hit it...
Archenteron Wrote:I'd like it should be a level above ashgib where bodies just flash-explode from the amount of energy dumped into them.
Done.

Archenteron Wrote:Also: Non-body objects seem to be unaffected by the laser: Flew a pod and pushed a gas canister into a 900ish GW beam with no effect.
Yeah I'll deal with this at some point Ugh, that button...

Remmon Wrote:Also. The 10TW upper limit on the laser is far too low, even though most people never seem to hit it...
As part of the interface changes the limit's now 999TW
Sweet Jesus. A petawatt? That's a lot of money. An endless supply of billion credit blunts! *dance

I also think laser appearance connected to output would be nice from a gameplay perspective. It'd be nice to be able to tell whether the laser will ash me or give me a tan at a glance. I mean, as long as you can do the laser limbo it only matters to those in a hurry or those wanting to die, but I'm ADD. Pretty. Shiny. Pretty. Shiny. *drool

The only other thing I can think of is maybe give QMs the ability to tap in to the income? Maybe a cut from negotiating a higher price, or something along those lines? They are usually effected by hellburns (probably because nobody ever closes that cold loop shutter, but sometimes that just won't matter in a hard burn) so it could be nice to give them some way to profit from it.

And while I'm here, since I don't see you in game, thank you for this. It's really made engineering a lot more fun and has given hellburning a purpose other than 'because'. Not to mention it's a giant death laser that gives you money. /me tears up.
where does the money go at the moment? 100% to engineering or does it split into the main ship budget? That way more can be given to other budgets and maybe give other depts reason to manufacture things that could improve the beam output (lenses, chems etc)
Issue, the laser can still only store 100 TJ of power. You can't use a laser of an output more than 100 TJ thanks to this frown
Noah Buttes Wrote:Issue, the laser can still only store 100 TJ of power. You can't use a laser of an output more than 100 TJ thanks to this frown
Fixed.

Sex_Robot Wrote:where does the money go at the moment? 100% to engineering or does it split into the main ship budget? That way more can be given to other budgets and maybe give other depts reason to manufacture things that could improve the beam output (lenses, chems etc)
Half is split between the engineering crew, with the CE getting twice the share the other engineers get. The other half goes directly to the station budget.

Vitatroll Wrote:Sweet Jesus. A petawatt? That's a lot of money. An endless supply of billion credit blunts! *dance
If you can get the engine to a petawatt then go nuts I guess. Might have to tone it down a bit if that sort of thing is too easy though.

Vitatroll Wrote:I also think laser appearance connected to output would be nice from a gameplay perspective. It'd be nice to be able to tell whether the laser will ash me or give me a tan at a glance. I mean, as long as you can do the laser limbo it only matters to those in a hurry or those wanting to die, but I'm ADD. Pretty. Shiny. Pretty. Shiny. *drool
I might lower its alpha at low power so that it's translucent. Can't fiddle with that right now, though.
e: Wait you can just slide under the laser? Code-wise that doesn't make any fucking sense confused

Vitatroll Wrote:The only other thing I can think of is maybe give QMs the ability to tap in to the income? Maybe a cut from negotiating a higher price, or something along those lines? They are usually effected by hellburns (probably because nobody ever closes that cold loop shutter, but sometimes that just won't matter in a hard burn) so it could be nice to give them some way to profit from it.
Eh, they can get money from the station budget, not too keen on the engineers' hard work making QMs rich without any effort on their part. This way they can still benefit, but they at least have to convince a head to transfer them some money.

Vitatroll Wrote:And while I'm here, since I don't see you in game, thank you for this. It's really made engineering a lot more fun and has given hellburning a purpose other than 'because'. Not to mention it's a giant death laser that gives you money. /me tears up.
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it smile
Infinite Monkeys Wrote:e: Wait you can just slide under the laser? Code-wise that doesn't make any fucking sense confused
I didn't know that either, but if that is true, please keep it in.
It'd be kind of cool if the laser started flashing and creaking and making wierd noises if it's getting an exceptional amount of power, similar to the engine. Connect it to the engine grump variable mabye.