Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GENETICS
TheOnlyRyan Wrote:I gotta love how this thread has 17 posts, discussing removing cloning. Something that causes 0 problems, maybe the only problem being not getting cloned in 1 second flat.

Yet no one contributes to the thread for improving the job. Fan-Fucking-TASTIC
Disregarding the fact that this complaint provides nothing constructive or helpful in the slightest, do you want to know why some people are so eager to oust cloning? Do you want to know why genetics is such a hot-button issue that every single thread always manages to explode into ad hominem and finger-pointing, without fail?

It's because the middle ground is damn near impossible to find. People are going to bitch and moan about not getting their free revives and how everyone hates genetics if cloning is nerfed, people are going to bitch and moan about how no one clones them and how useless the cloner is if it isn't nerfed. The topic has become this swirling mass of negativity that, to be perfectly honest, even I'm having difficulty approaching from an optimistic viewpoint, and I consider myself quite the optimistic person. And I can say with a good degree of certainty that there are many people who share this viewpoint, and thus we come to the most direct solution to the perceived problem: Complete elimination of the offending mechanic.

Over the past few months, I've seen countless threads about genetics, cloning, and how shit needs to get fixed, but there's been a distinct lack of shit getting fixed, which compounds the issue further. To be perfectly clear, I'm not blaming the admins for a lack of action, since even the slightest poke or nudge to genetics/cloning seems to result in an uproar of bad shit. It's a fucking Jenga tower that's a slight breeze away from toppling over, and at this point, smashing the thing to bits and moving on is starting to become more and more appealing with every bile-filled argument that stems from these damn things.

I'll always be on the side of compromise first and foremost, but I'm just saying for the record, I wouldn't be opposed to just ousting the whole matter entirely. Partly because I'm of the belief that SS13 can live without the cloning mechanism, and partly because I'm just sick of this kind of shit.
What? No. Are you people high? Everyone continually complains about boring rampages and murder all over the place and all of you are running in here, advocating for even LESS ways to get brought back into a round after getting killed in some way that you cannot help in the slightest in most cases?

As it stands, playing a borg is fucking hell if the roboticists have no damn clue what they're doing, you get ignored, shitty parts, and generally all the terrible symptoms of having your existance dependant on another human being, and even if they do, unless the AI gets subverted or you get emagged, chances are you have nothing to do except either build a random borgfort, mix random chems like you could as a useless human, or occasionally burn/brute patch someone as a mediborg.

People need to make up their minds on whether they want fun/sneaky-intrigue filled round, or murderfests with tons of unreviveable corpses.

We got to the fucking place we wanted things to be: Your corpse will no longer be fucking ignored outside the genetics door, because anyone can use the damn thing now meaning if whoever bothered to drag you to the cloner doesn't fucking clone you, smack them upside the head when/if you get back for their laziness and move on, if you got gibbed/husked, tough shit. It would have happened either way.

No, this is a horrible suggestion and horrible idea just in general. We spent ages upon ages bitching to get the cloner moved outside so people wouldn't have to smash the geneticists over the head and steal their ID's just to clone people, and now that we actually have it people want to straight up remove it?
Genetics has been quite the hate magnet lately hasn't it? I think it might be time for everyone to take it down a notch and just chill. That being said, perhaps it might be time for something beneficial to happen to the job.
IMO return the cloner to the geneticists. It is age-old tradition to drink of the ectoplasmic tears as deadchat whine about the lazy geneticists not cloning their corpse... rotting right at their front doorstep.

Cloning was possible but not guaranteed - not by a long shot. Whether you got a second chance or not depended upon the competence of the crew (which as we all know isn't something you can bank on) or how thorough your murderer was. It was perfect.
One change I'd like to see is having any chemicals you pour into the cloning pod stay there until someone notices and flushes them out, rather than just depleting after each clone like they do now.
in the rounds I've seen where the cloner was broken by admins at round start to see how people would react to a cloner free station, no one really noticed or cared.

someone brought up the idea that maybe people would be more inclined to play on other servers instead of waiting for their 1/1000 chance to get cloned. I think that'd be cool if that were a thing.

I'm firmly in the "remove the cloner"camp, but something occursd to me: you'd no longer have a way to humanize the ai. if anything would sway my opinion, it's the idea that I think we'd need some kind of replacement for the cloner in this respect.
why are people so fucking bent on killing off genetics

there's nothing wrong with genetics

the problem goes deeper than that

much much deeper in that the problem is deeply embedded within the community
the cloner is an important tool for the crew to use to complicate an antag's life. overcoming obstacles like that is the name of the game

removing the cloner from the station is a job for an antag and a single modestly-sized explosive, not a forum thread
babayetu83 Wrote:why are people so fucking bent on killing off genetics

there's nothing wrong with genetics

the problem goes deeper than that

much much deeper in that the problem is deeply embedded within the community

The poo is coming from inside.
Why did this thread have to pop up literally 10 minutes before I made mine.
Trying to get the community on the Geneticists side. Sigh

[Image: raining_david_tennant.gif]
Just make it so a person can only be cloned once per round. There is your middle ground geez.

I love how the cloner for the most part has been the same for years and now out of nowhere it is a issue that needs to be fixed. wut
Those are some big threads and I haven't read them or any of this forum, could you sum up your proposed changes real quick?
I kinda want cloner to stay but at the same time I feel like it's used as an reason for detective to not use his forensic tools, and robotics to not get used at all.

I often borrow the forensic scanner because reasons. Like crime solving as an assistant/inspector/anything else.

I know gloves make it harder to catch someone, but chance's are you can scan the respective office doors for prints.

Botanists, detective, and QM all wear black gloves.

Mechanics have yellow gloves, as do engineers and one set in security.

etc

I borrowed the scanner as an inspector one day and had a captain ID theft narrowed down to a miner, even though HOP already knew who it was.
This is a horrible idea. All I have to say and all that needs to be said.
I am pretty strongly against removing cloning.

Bologna Prime Wrote:A whole lot of assistant pastimes that involve dying and getting dragged to medbay for revival will see an increase in rarity. People will be more protective of their life, and given the goofy atmosphere of goonstation I feel it actually wouldn't fit too well.