Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GENETICS
Silvercloud29 Wrote:I actually like this. I say the cloner should have Gene-Bank that starts with one perfect record of each crewman who starts on station. (Sorry Late Joiners) Those who are scanned gets the genetic errors. But you can buy new prefect record copies at the gene-bank (Which get used up when you clone someone once using the template)
I like this idea. Have cloning no longer require having the actual body and instead draw genetic information from a database, with the information degrading based on usage.

The genetic database should also be something that can be sabotaged. Delete people's clone info, or replace their mental profile with someone else's so attempts to clone them end up with a different player in control of the result.
Though I'm generally a DNR player, I do like this idea. I just think the disabilities should be properly bad, as getting cloned more than once is usually a noteworthy experience. In this way you still pay, but it's in a currency both precious and affordable at the same time.
Fun fact.

Getting cloned more than once permanently lowers your max health. This stacks infinitely.
Now that you've mentioned it I seem to recall hearing that before.

I mean, I like the idea of having bad perma-mutations better, since it's something that's highly visible. Though since cloning is already penalized I'd put this idea on my "I like this, but there are other things I'd rather have first" list.
Spy_Guy Wrote:Fun fact.

Getting cloned more than once permanently lowers your max health. This stacks infinitely.

Can this stack to the point where someone just dies instantly after being cloned?
For those who don't know, Motor Neuron Signal Enhancement is a genetic mutation that causes one of your limbs to act autonomously and strangle you, punch you, slap you, kick yourself in the head, etc etc. Expand it to affect your head, since that's a thing now. Have it make you randomly try to bite people or heavy brute/bleeding where you bite your tongue.

I suggest, when you have the genetic mutation and the limb gets blown off or removed manually, then it starts flopping around trying to punch, strangle, slap, and kick people. In the case of the head however, when you die, you would either repeat the last few lines you've said, or act like parrot and repeat what everyone else says around you. If someone were to detach your head, maybe make it act like a skullbot, or be able to attack a robot leg to it, like so. [Image: ESVd4IM.png]

I dunno something I had rolling around in my head. (HEH)
Even though it doesn't make much sense, the idea of having your severed limbs try and beat the crap out of people is too amusing for me to pass up.
I support attacking limbs. I hope (for traitors) we can use the mutation and the effects on space bears, wendigos, wendigo kings, etc.
It keeps coming up and I'm never sure when it's a joke or serious, I know some people are serious about it. So here's my idea.

1) Remove cloning completely. No more second-chance saloon, no more slap on the wrist and a minor health ding and off you go, you died, eat the consequences.

2) Genetics becomes a department of research.

3) Add a chute from outside research to the test chamber (please do this anyway).

4) Robotics become the only resurrection men. Give them a frankenstein table connected directly into the engine output. Putting a body on the table and throwing the switch might bring it back to life, if the engine's outputting enough, or outright turn it to a crisp if there's a real hellburn going. I'd say put it in robotics storage if you can find room for it. Maybe turn that room into the dedicated Mad Science Lab and put the stuff that's in it now around robotics. It would also give lings an excuse if they're seen dragging bodies in there. If the roboticists don't trust the engineers, ie most of the time, they should of course build cyborgs.

What do you guys think?
This is now a no shit-post area, you've had 2 Genetics threads prior to express your hatred of the job and of the people who play the job.

I'm not even sure where to start, this is now my third thread on Genetics and trying to improve it for people who actually enjoy, or enjoyed I should say. Playing Geneticist.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4744 - My first thread, reaching 7 pages and 1000+ views, not a single change or improvement was considered from anyones opinions in the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5026&start=15 Multiple ideas of new powers which quite a few people came up with, not a single idea considered, and not a single staff member comment.

If these were threads with the subject name replaced for Chemistry I can only imagine the amount of staff members willing to listen and give their own thoughts and ideas.

The hatred of Geneticists and the job has gone on for so long the balance of the jobs is inequitable.
[Image: a16d744d91.png]

The argument against Genetics getting half of the "op" powers is just that, people think they'll be over powered. To that I say you're god damn blind. Chemistry has an almost untypeable amount of OP recipes, explosions, fire, ice, gravity, sooooooooo many poisons and drugs and OH HEEYY You can mix all these buggers together!!

I cannot express enough and I'm sure you do know this yourself, chemistry is OP, but do you see people constantly bitch and complain that they want it nerfed? Like when Genetics had a few decent (effective) powers? OF COURSE NOT, because it only takes 5 minutes for the people who hate Genetics so much to make their god potions and go ham.

Compare this to Genetics which takes 40 minutes to find the power you're looking for then to find the corresponding booster, all a while worrying that some guy is going to destroy your APC just because they don't want anyone cloned or because they hate Genetics, or if the AI is thinking twice about funding you all a while bodies are being slowly funneled in.

I can't even think of anything original to say in this thread that hasn't been mentioned in any of my previous threads to do with Genetics, so i'll just type out a big bold message for staff members who are willing to listen to the community and balance this out.

Coders: Take 10 minutes to read my previous threads and then 30 minutes to sit and contemplate how terrible and useless Genetics is now. The powers that cause little stability aren't worth having and the ones that are worth having cost your eye sight and hearing.

I'm asking for a dedicated coder to take Genetics under your mystical wing and make a job that people are intrigued to play and learn, not a job that is hated by everyone under the sun. If this means removing cloning, then so be it.

New powers
Traitor effective powers
Credits for cloning people
Listening to these monster genetic related threads
Listening to suggestions
Implemented improvements
Overseeing effects of improvements and updates

Put as much thought and care as you put into Chemistry, into Genetics.

The bias against Genetics has gone on for too long. Make the job great again.
Ehhhhh yeah I'd say that Cloning isn't that great anymore and could safely leave. There are fun and complex ways to bring the dead back to life, so it should really require that extra effort to revive the dead. I've seen some creative medical doctors do crazy stuff. I've seen entire rounds go by without anyone needing to be cloned or attending the cloner. I rarely use the thing, myself, and I just find it to be a hassle to get revived through cloning for one reason or another.

I'm only mildly for this change, though, because Cloning is a very Sci-Fi function for a space station and it'd feel weird to remove that. Then again, it seems a little advanced for the hellish metal death trap that the station has become.
Cloning in the way it's used in sci-fi is nothing like what we have in SS13, which is straight-up Actual Resurrection. I could see that argument if it was kind of a vector for new players to enter the station, like if all of a job's taken but one of them has died and been put in the cloner, but that wouldn't really be doable.
I'm in the 'Keep It' camp, but not without a few changes. I recall earlier in another thread someone suggested that cloning produce defects. That sounds like a good way to go while keeping with the 'Budgetstation 13' shtick. Have clones sometimes spawn with deafness or blindness, maybe some other bad traits. If someone is cloned too many times, they can stack bad traits until they're some sort of Cronenberg abomination. That way Genetics and Medical can make use of all of those surgical and medical doohickeys they have and it would actually make the 'Clone Vs. Borg' debate an actual debate.
Yep.
It seems to be going this way, and I for one would like roboticists take sole control of the revival procedures seen as genetics couldn't be trusted to do it themselves.
Maybe we could put the paywall BACK into genetics, and add more viable ways of revival?

I think the idea that really swayed me is the frankenstien idea which is connected to the power output otherwise i'd of just been on the fence of borging being the only form of revival.
I agree that there's not enough a harsh a punishment from cloning, adding in a frankenstien where the body would have to be prepped with embalming fluid, heart would need to be robotic, brain would needed to be wired up and shocked with those retro tesla coil arc machines that would fit nicely into the 1950-60 theme of ss13. Although I feel like there should be alternative forms of power should the engine kick out (mining may come in use here), but with the engine active and running, it's easier.

What of being a frankenstien? You have minor brain damage, health is decreased and due to tissue damage one of the following may fail:
Your limbs (one of them may fall off and your body will reject it, requiring robotic or otherwise replacement)
Your eyes (you will become partially blind which is then following complete blindness, requiring visors or robotic eye replacement)
Your lungs (you'll start to suffocate. requires robotic lung replacement)
Your butt (it will fall off oh no. Requires robotic butt replacement)
You see where i'm going with this. Essentially you will require later treatment from medical or robotic staff.
There could be other ways of revival that isn't frankenstien, *cough
Bring back jesus taser 2015