Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mechanics/Network/Computer Nerds
Hey chaps, I've been wondering this for a little while, and after asking Sundance and finding there isn't really a place to chat about the obscure things like the way that signals and records work, or complex mechanics contraptions and their ilk, and so I've decided to make this thread to ask people who know all about it little things, for example - When you have a computer on a wired network, is it possible to send a signal to a DWAINE terminal with a file to login?
For the good of the order, it might be worth having a consolidated list of all of the different devices that have sniff-able packets (PDAs, airlocks, etc) as well as what frequencies they're on. Having to try and determine what sends packets by trying every single object with every single frequency just seems like an exercise in frustration.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:For the good of the order, it might be worth having a consolidated list of all of the different devices that have sniff-able packets (PDAs, airlocks, etc) as well as what frequencies they're on. Having to try and determine what sends packets by trying every single object with every single frequency just seems like an exercise in frustration.

Yes. A thousand times yes!

I wonder if it might be possible to hook something up with a DWAINE terminal, and write a script which automatically pings all frequencies by incrementing it by 2 each time, and appends the result of the ping to a record, but I'm not sure if that kind of things is possible on DWAINE, as I've not actually tried it. I'm not even sure if it were possible on DWAINE - I think the best shot would be a ThinkDOS computer in net_free mode, and a script which changes the frequency that way, but I've never read anything that suggests you can script on ThinkDOS.
You can send a file over the wired network with a ThinkDOS computer that has a wired adapter or a network adapter set to mode_wire, or with DWAINE's file_send command. ThinkDOS requires you to create the file in WizWrite or get it from somewhere, then attach it to the signal file in SigPal. In DWAINE, get the file on a data disk and do file_load <filename> first. As far as I know, you can't currently send a file with mechanics components.
Yeah. Help me remember how to use the Control Unit. I accidentally deleted my CU.txt along with my chemicomp.txt. Not as bad as deleting my chems that one time, and the chemicomp was just a bunch of scripts so that just takes time, but months of using just b080 have taken their toll.

I could have sworn that using a toggle component to toggle OEN was possible, but after the first cycles the input from the toggle seems to be reset to 0 and stays that way. I could very well just be dumb (hopefully just ignorant), though.
I dumped a bunch of my knowledge on a somewhat obscure wiki page. Looks like a few things have changed (but probably not much).

It should explain how some of this works.
Consulting my notes, WNET_PACKETSPY and WNET_GENERIC are also plant trays and are actually on 143.3. Only thing I have on 143.5 is the status displays, and I'm not sure if those are currently in-game.

The alerts the AI gets are on 143.7.

Not sure about the stuff on 143.1 but it's probably the buddies like Harner and Klaus. The only thing I have on 143.1 is lockers.
Just as a general note, there is now a new periph under the name of MED_SLEEPER. I haven't tested much with it beyond attempting to directly connect (which does nothing) but I assume it will ping when someone activates the injectors, and when someone gets in.
What's the best way to start learning/understanding all of the DWAINE, ThinkDOS, Packet sniffing, RegEx? It interests me the most out of everything on SS13 and I really don't want this thread to die. Mechanic is my favourite job but is hardly ever talked about, it's always Chemists, Roboticists and the AI.
gleb09 Wrote:What's the best way to start learning/understanding all of the DWAINE, ThinkDOS, Packet sniffing, RegEx? It interests me the most out of everything on SS13 and I really don't want this thread to die. Mechanic is my favourite job but is hardly ever talked about, it's always Chemists, Roboticists and the AI.

DWAINE: has it's own help function. Just type help when logged into the mainframe. There really isn't much to know. The wiki has a good bit of information on it, so maybe you should start there.

RegEx: type is PCRE but it doesn't support look ahead or look behind. I wrote this in an earlier topic on simple usage http://forum.ss13.co/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5043&#p56059 || Marq commented on flag usage, which is correct, but it's bugged. Or was. I haven't checked it in a while. If you want more, or just want to test your regex without hopping into ss13, then just type regex into google. There are tons of resources for it

Packets: The wiki in general has some good information on this too. Hands on learning would be going to tech storage and listening to the packet sniffer or going about the station with an ND cart. More advanced topics can be found on Zamujasa's wikipage listed earlier. That's probably the most in-depth resource on packets we have. Thank they for that. Zamujasa also goes a little into DWAINE scripting too, I think, which can make your ss13 life easier in some respects.
How the heck does somebody properly use the wifi mechanic components? I cannot seem to figure out how they work.
Depends on what you're trying to use them for. If you just want to mess with them the first thing you should do is set the frequency, then turn on "forward all" and turn off "netid filtering" (they default to the opposite, making nothing useful happen).
We should pop this into an IRC channel on SynIRC.
Zamujasa Wrote:Depends on what you're trying to use them for. If you just want to mess with them the first thing you should do is set the frequency, then turn on "forward all" and turn off "netid filtering" (they default to the opposite, making nothing useful happen).
Is it possible to have something said over the radio trigger a wifi component to trigger something else?
Also how do you use it to have a pda activate something as well? Or ways to spoof pda messages?
Wifi comp is about packets only. It doesn't intersect with the radio, even with 1459 selected. The only thing I've wanted to make in that fashion was a translator that turned certain words into random words from a list (madlibs or BUTT). To use it as a trigger for a complex machine would be unreliable as speech is rather easily altered in this game to the point where even regex would have a hard time keeping up.

PDA message spoofing.

The packet comes in 2-5 key:value pairs. It looks like this: command=text_message&message=Eggs&sender_name=Manne Love&address_1=0201cdc5&sender=0201ccca -- The pairs are separated by ampersands. Only command=text_message and message=whatevertextyouwant are necessary to send a message, but this send EVERYONE a message under the name !UNKNOWN!. "address_1", which you can get by pinging 1149, is needed if you wanna message someone specific.

The nd cart is the easiest way, but can't be as fancy on it's own. For people who don't know how to use it, just grab a network diagnostic cart and stick it in yer pda, file browse to packet sender and press (add new). Then just add the key value pairs you need.

The most easier form of component spoofing is probably to get a wifi component, a signal check component, a splitter component, a signal builder component, and a spare PDA. I'll skip the basics. How to attach:

Wifi to signal check, signal check to splitter, splitter to signal builder (add+send), signal builder to wifi.

PDA: Swipe it with yer card to make it yours. People forget this.
Wifi: Set freq to 1149 and toggle filtering and forwarding.
Signal Check: Set trigger to your name.
Splitter: Set trigger to message.
Signal Builder: Set starting string to: command=text_message&sender_name=Any name you want&message=

Then you send a pda message to your other PDA. This would then send your message to everyone under the untraceable name "Any name you want". If you want to know how each part works, then just connect it to a sound synth component. It'll show you the connected component is sending.

More advanced methods exist, like pinging the entire pda list into a selection component, or sending a delayed message to everyone who opens the bathroom door OH GOD IT SMELLS IN HERE WHAT DID YOU DO, NAME!? or pinging the entire pda list into a selection component.

Using the pda to set activate stuff involves similar methods. Remote telsci, remote shuttle control, (limited) remote buddy control, blacklisting someone from yer teleporters, letting loose the loaf, etc. You can also use signals from remote signallers (which look something like "command=ACTIVATE&code=30") to do things in a similar fashion. Give the clown a sack full of autohonkers and a remote that controls them all and you have made a friend for life.

Sorry for the disorganized post. Eh.