Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engineering and Science!
Just a couple of ideas which I would think might make their departments a little more fun,

Port-A-Build, for the Chief Engineer. Essentially like the MD's Port-A-Med, only instead of dispensing medical supplies, it has a supply of glass and metal sheets, screwdrivers, wire cutters, wrenches, all the normal things found in a toolbox. Essentially like a more spacious toolbox, it would be useful for repairing bits of a station/dissembling things/generally being useful for Chiefs who like doing their jobs. As well as this, if it were possible to put things back inside it then it'd essentially become a more portable toolbox.

Spectrometer, a device for chemistry that when you put in a sample, say 10 units of a chemical, it will randomly give you 1 or more of the base elements. Say for example, you had 50 units of cyanide. Say there was a 60% chance it will give you a meaningful result, and there are 3 ingredients to cyanide (Oil, Ammonia, and Oxygen). Oil is Carbon, Hydrogen and Welding Fuel, and Ammonia is Nitrogen and Hydrogen. This means the base elements are Oxygen x 1 Carbon x 1 Hydrogen x 2 Fuel x 1 and Nitrogen x 1. The chance of any one of these is 1/6, so the chance of successfully getting any one component would be 1/10. I think this would be helpful for chemistry as it could help either some of the newer players who would rather discover chemicals by experimentation, and as this process doesn't tell you in what way they're mixed or how much of each, there shouldn't be any risk of secret chems being discovered from it unless they managed to get hundreds of units of them, and just found every component and then tried all combinations, which I imagine if they put that much effort in, they deserve to discover it. It'd be balanced out that the more dangerous chemicals are harder to discover, as they'd have so many base elements that recreating them would take an awfully long time.
I think the portabuilder might be useful for carrying around large amounts of materials, although I'd suggest it be available to the entire engineering crew, since the CE already gets the RCD to himself anyway.

More iffy on the spectrometer, it's been proposed before and really the only purpose it serves is for secret chem hunting, which would just make people more paranoid and/or aggressive about them. The wiki already has all the regular chem recipes on it anyway.
Yeah, that was on my mind, but I imagine that if someone really wants to go for a secret recipe, they can trade/ask experienced players to find them. Something which gives them a bit of a starting ground might help, as then if they find a secret chem lying around, then they can get a bit of an idea what to do. It beats just sticking every ingredient and mixing it with every other ingredient in an attempt to find them.
Yeah, but that just encourages people being super careful about leaving the slightest bit lying around, which then leads to the spiral of paranoia where you have people told only to mix them offstation in closets and half the station jumping down your throat for even daring to mention them. I dunno, I don't like the current system either but it seems like this would just make the secret chems way more of a bigger deal than they already are and that just leads to opening that chemnerd recipe mafia mindset all over again.
Port-A-Builder-Buddy sounds nice but I also want a Port-A-Pipe
Archenteron Wrote:Port-A-Builder-Buddy sounds nice but I also want a Port-A-Pipe

Or the ability to use a wrench on a pipe dispenser like on other servers to move it.
Wait, do people really do that? Yell at people who mix secret chems in chemistry, because another chemist might watch what you're doing and get secret chem hints?
Grek Wrote:Wait, do people really do that? Yell at people who mix secret chems in chemistry, because another chemist might watch what you're doing and get secret chem hints?

Most of my experience with secret chems has been offering to trade one for another, and that was done via PDA. I don't see a huge amount of point in someone getting uppity about secret chems.

Also, yes to a portable pipe dispenser. The closest thing we have so far is scanning and deploying another pipe dispenser wherever you want it, which might be fine for some, but I can imagine situations where it might be really annoying.
We need portable pipe dispensers (or at the very least, being able to activate a pipe frame made from metal sheets to turn it into any shape of disposable pipe)
Also yes for a mobile pipe dispenser.
I like the engineer thing. Would be nice to have some easy access building materials. Especially pipes. Piping sucks.

Actually, it'd be really neat if we could just build our own vends and port-a-vend which we could fill with whatever we want. . Would be really neat for a lot of job. I imagine that would take quite a bit of coding, though. Would be especially neat if we could align the vends to our bank accounts. This is going off on a wild tangent. Calm down. Yeah. Port-a-build sounds nice.
A definite yes to the port-a-pipe.
The nature of the pipe system is such that there's a pipe dispenser near anywhere worth doing serious pipe work on. Really I'd prefer just to be able to put multiple segments in a single crate or some other storage item, so you can transport them.