Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Traits - Feedback
I hate coming to a thread to leave feedback and the majority of the feedback you want to give has already more or less been posted.

I'll try to keep it as short as possible because I guarantee Ill just end up re-posting other people

I liked the idea of traits, when I looked at the suggestion thread for more traits I really liked some ideas.
However in practice and after playing a full days worth of SS13 with these new traits, trying them out and seeing other people try them out it all just feels incredibly gimmicky. I almost felt the same playing with traits and with other people who have traits as I did when we had sim diamonds and needs for April fools. Just very very gimmicky.

Keelin has obviously put a lot of effort into these traits and getting it all to work nicely and has listened to the community on ideas nerfs buffs etc etc which is awesome.

I just don't like how it feels to play with them, I feel like I'm on a role-play station, which feels kinda shitty, even when I'm not using the traits.

Good idea, well implemented and thought out but It doesn't feel right for me and I'd either like it to change to purely cosmetic, like rewards. Or removed entirely.
I'm starting to feel the same as TheOnlyRyan. At first I thought this was a great idea but after a few days I'm starting to think this was a bad idea.

Dauntasa Wrote:I don't think it should go as far as it does. It should just be essentially cosmetic stuff, all of these gameplay variables(that you can't see) make playing sec or bad guys a lot harder. The fat and robo arms traits spring immediately to mind, given that the first one makes you changeling-proof and the second renders handcuffs useless against you.

After trying it out I really think most of the significantly gameplay altering traits need to go.

Like Dauntasa said it makes some jobs and antag harder to play as they should be.

Anticheese Wrote:The robotic talk trait is silly. I realise that the high cost is there to discourage people from taking it and listening in on rogue AIs every single round, but the implant is incredibly easy to get. The robotic talk trait should probably be removed in favour of one that lets people understand monkeys - both the player ones, and in putting some fun dialogue in place of the chimpers that most of the NPC monkeys regularly emit.

The robotic trait is straight up metagamey it needs to be removed. Again I agree here traits need to be cosmetic, they just change things way to up and like to be honest no traits really catch my eye and I after playing around with each I see no point is playing with any of them on. Some traits just ruin the game for me. I know you put alot of work into this Keelin so it kills me to be so negative about it but as it stands I feel like traits are a bad idea.

Also on a unrelated note this thread shows that people want monkeys to understand Humans again. jiggled again
Quote:Like Dauntasa said it makes some jobs and antag harder to play then they should be.
I don't want game-changing traits to disappear.
Well dang, all of my feedback has already been posted.
TheOnlyRyan Wrote:Good idea, well implemented and thought out but It doesn't feel right for me and I'd either like it to change to purely cosmetic, like rewards. Or removed entirely.
Ed Venture Wrote:I'm starting to feel the same as TheOnlyRyan. At first I thought this was a great idea but after a few days I'm starting to think this was a bad idea.

Again I agree here traits need to be cosmetic, they just change things way to up and like to be honest no traits really catch my eye and I after playing around with each I see no point is playing with any of them on. Some traits just ruin the game for me. I know you put alot of work into this Keelin so it kills me to be so negative about it but as it stands I feel like traits are a bad idea.

Also on a unrelated note this thread shows that people want monkeys to understand Humans again. jiggled again
Kleptomania should fill up your non-active hand as first preference.
Good genes should just give you some bonus stability instead of good powers.
Might want to turn traits off for when a player rolls nuke ops, I spawned with booster gene Q as a good gene as a nuke op and it set the entire squad on fire 1 second after spawn. It was funny but kind of a problem.
Just confirming that I'm reading all of this.
I'm gathering feedback from other places as well.

So currently I'm trying to find a compromise that will make both sides happy.
I'm thinking that traits that greatly change the game will have to go - glass cannon or death wish would be examples.
I would probably limit it to traits that change the game only in minor - but still noticeable - ways. Think cat eyes or things like that.
Probably move it more in the direction of what Sundance suggested.

I did say that i will give most trait ideas a chance so you'll probably have to endure some more testing!
Hopefully we can strike a balance that everyone will be happy with but more likely than not SOMEONE will get upset.

Edit: Removing them outright or making the entirely cosmetic will probably not happen as that will upset the people on the other side of the argument. Gotta find a compromise.
Adding new stuff is always difficult as everyone wants to have things go their own way. The community is just very diverse.
Keelin Wrote:Just confirming that I'm reading all of this.
I'm gathering feedback from other places as well.

So currently I'm trying to find a compromise that will make both sides happy.
I'm thinking that traits that greatly change the game will have to go - glass cannon or death wish would be examples.
I would probably limit it to traits that change the game only in minor - but still noticeable - ways. Think cat eyes or things like that.
Probably move it more in the direction of what Sundance suggested.

I did say that i will give most trait ideas a chance so you'll probably have to endure some more testing!
Hopefully we can strike a balance that everyone will be happy with but more likely than not SOMEONE will get upset.

Edit: Removing them outright or making the entirely cosmetic will probably not happen as that will upset the people on the other side of the argument. Gotta find a compromise.
Adding new stuff is always difficult as everyone wants to have things go their own way. The community is just very diverse.

Minor gameplay changes are fine, for the most part. But stuff like Obesity or the random genetics mutations traits are a bit too far.

I mean, I may very well be alone in thinking this, but in my mind one of the things that makes SS13 entertaining is that everything starts off relatively normal each round. The entertainment value comes from the ways in which everything devolves into chaos. If you see a fat ant-man with robot arms there's a story behind it. Something happened to that dude over the course of the round. It loses a lot of its impact if the story is just "he set the 'fat' and 'ant' traits in his profile at the start of the game". If the round starts off as a clusterfuck it's not funny. So yeah, in my opinion minor shit like cat eyes is just fine, but the other stuff I don't really like.
Minor stuff like the cats eye thing would be a perfect balance and would be great!
Currently though its making people way too broken. If you're loved by the RNG gods the genetics trait will unlock an OP gene for stupid cheap! There's plenty more instances of things like this, so I really think it should just be made into a minor thing. (cosmetics included for fun)
As you can all tell, I am totally for this system.

Having played, though, I can see some things are too powerful.

Part of me thinks it should be more for your character's customisation - spawning with a robotic left arm or leg, perhaps, or an eye implant; rather than "wow now you can go on fire at will".

Is this what people are thinking?
Wonkmin Wrote:As you can all tell, I am totally for this system.

Having played, though, I can see some things are too powerful.

Part of me thinks it should be more for your character's customisation - spawning with a robotic left arm or leg, perhaps, or an eye implant; rather than "wow now you can go on fire at will".

Is this what people are thinking?

I feel like people who are swaying towards the no side of things are more against the idea of random genetic powers (which is one trait amongst the many) than the traits themselves.
Currently I can pick clumsy and then good genes for a lottery of becoming an invisible superfarting fire-breathing monkey. In which case I agree when someone one round said "oh god no superhero SS13 allday everyday"

Traits need to be either minor, gimmicky, situational or cosmetic. If they are neither of those 4 things then I suggest reviewing it.
Completely agreed here!
I really like the random genetics traits. It's fun because you change your approach to the game each time. I dislike how you cant have good and bad genes at the same time though. Maybe have one that gives you two powers and two disabilities for -1?
In any case, More things should be randomized.

The traits system should be catered towards making different playstyles easier.

Good traits should be things that we want to be easier. Carpenter is a good example of this. Engineers want to be able to build stuff faster.
Bad traits should be things that we don't mind not doing. Spaceophobia is a good example of this. Some people don't mind not going into space.

More things like phobias and small changes would be good. things that change small aspects of the game you only come across if you do that activity. So, removing the random spacing from teleporter or making barter better or small combat buffs.

Traits system would be better if it functioned more like a class system.