Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Traits - Feedback
Hello!

I held off on this thread to allow a bit of time for people to actually get used to the system.

Please keep feedback constructive and useful! The word "because" will be your best friend here. Other than that, comment on anything - traits that clash too much, traits are too expensive / too cheap, this combo is overpowered etc. There will be so many different combos we really need the players to step up and share what they're finding.

Thanks!
The robotic talk trait is silly. I realise that the high cost is there to discourage people from taking it and listening in on rogue AIs every single round, but the implant is incredibly easy to get. The robotic talk trait should probably be removed in favour of one that lets people understand monkeys - both the player ones, and in putting some fun dialogue in place of the chimpers that most of the NPC monkeys regularly emit.
I don't think it should go as far as it does. It should just be essentially cosmetic stuff, all of these gameplay variables(that you can't see) make playing sec or bad guys a lot harder. The fat and robo arms traits spring immediately to mind, given that the first one makes you changeling-proof and the second renders handcuffs useless against you.

After trying it out I really think most of the significantly gameplay altering traits need to go.
Its too early to really tell about the gameplay-altering traits. I like the idea of them, and they deserve to be given a chance.

I would love to see, if not the ability to pick what mutantrace you'd like to be (I imagine that some would argue down that road lie people getting really weird), being able to pick being a nonhuman for 0 points.

Pros: You get to be an awesome Martian, living skeleton, cockroach (yeah, I know that's covered under good genes at the moment), or whatever.

Cons: The AI wouldn't cover you necessarily under humans, so jerks get less protection.
I like negative traits more than positive ones. Feels like giving yourself extra challenges.

I like positive ones that have small little perks, like cat-eyes because it's not overly powerful, doesn't change too much how other people engage you.
As a frequent AI player, the fact that people who start as obese have no place to store their IDs can be mind-bogglingly frustrating due to the need to constantly check the crew manifest to make sure you didn't just let a staff assistant into chemistry or whatever. Having them start with an obesity-friendly jumpsuit either on their person or in their backpack or something would be nice.

Other than that, I'm kind of in Dauntasa's boat here. I think that the traits should be largely cosmetic if the system is going to be successful, but if gameplay-altering traits are to be included, there shouldn't be any traits that are able to consistently give people no-sells to antagonists and other players; Obesity no-sells changelings, robot arms no-sell handcuffs, Overly Soggy used to heavily handicap any corpse-reliant antagonist type. These things don't enrich the gameplay more than they frustrate people who are trying to play as one normally would. How can a changeling be expected to play effectively when 40% of the station is rolling obesity?
Breaking News Developing... Effort post Breaking News Developing...
While I don't agree with dauntasa about stuff being merely cosmetic, I do feel like some traits need to be toned down a little.

And some "good traits" are have this weird balance where it has a bad thing slapped onto it. Well now, that's not really a good trait is it? More of a neutral trait.
Like beefy with 150 health but 25 stamina is considered a "good trait" with -1 points. I'd much rather see this give a minor health buff, like 115 health and a small reduction in stamina, -1 points. That's an actual good trait.
Then you have to balance it out with a bad trait. See where i'm going with this? Good traits need to be actually good but with minor buffs, while bad traits should be similar. Rather than having good traits that are either too good, disguised as good and then crippling bad traits. Any of the stuff that has over 2 points +/- should be reviewed.

Here's an individual look at each trait as they are currently:
Observant: Great!
Career alcholic: Pointless. See above about having a bad thing balanced on it, this is not a good trait. I suggest making this somewhat alcoholic resistant and making the slurred speech as a separate negative trait, albeit not as crippling.
Robotic arms: Fine as a cosmetic thing, but it'd be nice if robotic arms had an extra function that would makes this a -1 good trait.
Robotic ears: Bad. Review the previous posters suggestions: replace with monkey speech.
Two left feet: Great! This is a good example of a balanced negative trait
Beefy: Pointless. See above.
Deathwish: Overpowered. Literally a points sponge. Make this a +2 points thing and reduce the damage to like a +10% damage.
Glass cannon Pointless. Again another example of a "good trait" with weird balance. Should probably be removed.
Swedish/chav/New Jersey accent: Great!
Addiction: Crippling. Not worth the +2 points, due to the way addictions work currently.
Short sighted/deaf: Great!
Fat: Needs to be able to absorbed by the ling. Otherwise great!
Hemophilia: Great! Could be +2 though.
Nervous: Great!
Human Torch: Great! Could also be +2
Carpenter: Great! Not really worth the -2 though, should be a -1 skill.
Adamantium skeleton: Great!
Cat eyes: Great!
Infrared vision: As in, you have permanent thermal goggles? I haven't tried this skill, but that's only gonna cripple people that use cloaks. I suggest replacing this with something like "living antomy" in which you have ProDoc eyes for the same points.
Kleptomania: Great!
Spaceophobia: Great!
Robust genetics: Going along the idea that anything over +/- 2 points should be reviewed, this could be toned down to -2, but reduce the chance of not mutating down a little, and to +15 or 20 stability instead of the current 30, which is alot.
Good genes/bad genes. Again tone it down. Reduce it to +/- 1 skill, that gives you 1 good power or bad power depending. Keep the current genetic pool though, as these are a wildcard. Add what genetic power/disability in your notes, as with many good genes you may have a passive power that you have no clue about.
NT loyalist: -1 points... for a hat? A hat, may I add, that you can buy or if you're not bothered, take from beepsky's stuff? Pointless. Replace this with a "petasusaphilic" (pigeon latin for: hat lover) which gives you a randomised hat for a trinket.
Clutz: Great!
personally i'm not a fan of the fat trait. if we're gonna bring fat back it should be in its original form, requiring players to consume a lot of food before getting fat or through genetics fuckery. as it is we're getting at least a half dozen people spawning fatness. my feelings regarding traits is that while fun they need to be properly balanced to ensure space station 13 doesnt become traits station 13.
crasscrab Wrote:personally i'm not a fan of the fat trait. if we're gonna bring fat back it should be in its original form, requiring players to consume a lot of food before getting fat or through genetics fuckery. as it is we're getting at least a half dozen people spawning fatness.
Idea: Change obesity to Low Metabolism, which gives fatness if too much "junk food" (salt, sugaf, cholesterol) is eaten. However, this fatness can be reverted using lipolicide, vegetables/fruits, or whatever else makes sense. Are you a changeling frustrated with all of the fat people you can't absorb? Force-feed them some leafy greens before going to work.
I think that (with the addition of new traits) there should be a randomized pool of traits that you can choose from.
I basically agree with everything Sundance said. Though in regards to NT Loyalist, if you wanna' spend a point for a particular hat, more power to you.
Gannets Wrote:I basically agree with everything Sundance said. Though in regards to NT Loyalist, if you wanna' spend a point for a particular hat, more power to you.

I have no problem people spending a point for a hat, it's just particular hat is a bit a waste. You can buy it off a trader in the diner and the same hat but with a different name spawns in beepsky's crate. It'd be wayyy better if you could spend a point and spawn in a randomized hat. Fruit hat! Waluigi hat! Fun!
I really like the monkey speech trait idea.
personally, I really do come on the side of traits being cosmetic more than anything else. "traits" feel like they should just be fun bonus junk, not essentially changing how you play the game
UrsulaMejor Wrote:personally, I really do come on the side of traits being cosmetic more than anything else. "traits" feel like they should just be fun bonus junk, not essentially changing how you play the game

I agree 100% Some traits are just down right annoying for other people instead of being fun. For example the Auto loot trait. Fuck that trait.