Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Traits - Suggestions
Dancer: Your dance emotes have reduced cooldown and you can do special dances to make bees happy. -1
Glass Jaw: Getting hit in melee does more damage to you. +1
Wears Seatbelt: Chance to not get thrown from a vehicle in a crash. -1
Pacemaker: Start with a roboheart. -1
Addict: Increased benefits from a specific drug, but you start with an addiction. 0?
Ape Whisperer: Can talk to monkeys. -1
Poikilothermia: Your body regulates temperature poorly, so it takes longer for you to cool down from being on fire/warm up after a spacewalk. +1
Disliked by robots: Buddies will heckle you automatically if they see you, beepsky might stun you for no reason. +1
Stayin' Alive: Increased critical health and move faster while in crit. -1
Life Saver: Revive people faster when doing cpr, increase healing to people in crit. -2
Short temper: When in help intent, you occasionally switch intent automatically. +1 Point
Sleepwalking: Sometimes, while unconscious, you take a few steps in a random direction. -2 Points
Ugly face: People stare, scream and/or vomit when they see you. -1 Point
Admin- you become an admin. You get a bunch of FAKE adminhelps that you have to answer in 10 seconds or you gib. All of the admin control buttons been deleted due to some buggy coding keelin added except the self-gib ones
Intern: Starting salary is set to 0 by default.
Illiterate: Unable to read books, writing, or consoles.
Butter Fingers: Chance to drop something you're holding in your hand.
Diabetic: Incredibly low overdose threshold for sugar and corn syrups.
Power Siphon: Chance to slowly decrease the charge of power cells and charged items when held in hand.
Upper Class: Start the shift with a suit in your back pack.
Clean Freak: Unable to put on bloody clothes, some kind of penalty when wearing them.
Shareholder: Start the game with some minor holds in a random corp from the stock market.
Cheater: Able to spin the barrel of the Russian Revolver without displaying a message to others.
Lactose Intolerant: Vomiting upon consumption of yoghurt, milk, and other dairy products.
Weak Liver: Much lower ethanol overdose limits.
Alcohol Enthusiast: Able to tell what a drink contains when drinking it, like the barman.
Strong Immune System: Immune to the flu.

Also, I really like the idea someone brought up where you have to use an air tank in order to breathe, that's a really cool idea.
<Pizzatiger> Drunk Driving- When your filled with booze your vehicle your driving swerves a bunch BUT when it hits people it cause minor damage and a stun
I'm not sure how I like species traits. Looking at other severs, I feel like species sorta goes against what Goon had set up. Frankly, I don't have much of an argument against it, it's just I don't like it. Also, it partially invalidates the Diplomat/Ambassador gimmick role.

Also, looking at implemented traits, Overly Soggy (Gib on death) needs to go. Several antags, primarily Changeling and Wraith, are dependent on dead bodies laying about.

I feel like traits should mainly be restrained to aesthetics or very minor buffs and debuff. Some of these implemented traits (Like glass cannon) fundamentally change how things work, which I feel like goes against the point of having traits.
Mageziya Wrote:I'm not sure how I like species traits. Looking at other severs, I feel like species sorta goes against what Goon had set up. Frankly, I don't have much of an argument against it, it's just I don't like it. Also, it partially invalidates the Diplomat/Ambassador gimmick role.

Also, looking at implemented traits, Overly Soggy (Gib on death) needs to go. Several antags, primarily Changeling and Wraith, are dependent on dead bodies laying about.

I feel like traits should mainly be restrained to aesthetics or very minor buffs and debuff. Some of these implemented traits (Like glass cannon) fundamentally change how things work, which I feel like goes against the point of having traits.

I agree with Soggy but having traits change how things work is a good idea. It let's people make the spaceman THEY want to be.
It might be a good idea to have people who start off with something like near sightedness start with glasses, and put all your traits and other important things like trait-based addictions into the notes tab, that way you have some time to find nicotine or crank or whatever before you start getting symptoms, rather than finding out what you're addicted to when it starts to be a problem. Also, Ap Bengip's idea of having a "Surplus Crate" of traits would be really cool. Maybe have a "Randomizer Trait" that gives you a handful of traits (maybe adding up to 0, maybe not), but that can't be taken if you have any other traits selected?
Downsized - Start as if shrunk by a shrink ray, this includes the ability to be insta-killed +3
Bananas - Start as a monkey -2
Good Genes - Start with 2 random positive mutations -3
Bad Genes - Start with 2 random negative mutations +2
Trust Fund Spaceman - Start with 3000-4000 space credits in your bag -2
Shady Character - Start with 2 random drug pill bottles -2
Bad Trip - Constantly under the effect of space drugs +2
Needs a Fix - Start off addicted to every drug +2
Soggy was a very silly suggestion on my part when Keelin first mentioned the idea of traits.

I was being daft and he was a love by putting it in - but when it's thought through then yes I can see how it could cause some problems.
I don't want to seem rude, since a lot of people obviously are keen on it, but I genuinely don't think this system is a good idea.

It seems pretty important, to me, that at the start of a round everyone on the station is pretty much the same. Like the only physical differences between people are unbelievably minor and I think that's exactly how it should be. Cosmetic traits seem kind of like they're already in the game in the form of just being able to customize your appearance or pick Diplomat as your role, and I feel like if non-cosmetic traits get put in then people will just find whichever combo gives them the biggest advantage and then everyone will use it.

Not to mention the fact that if everyone is allowed to be a lizardman the novelty of it wears off in a hurry, and it makes things trickier for the AIs where you either have to redefine the concept of human or accept that everyone who wants to be a martian is liable to get electrocuted to death immediately.
This is optional, let's not lose track of that.

Everyone being the same is fine. The trick is to balance and work on this so that there are no "god mode" combos. That's going to take some work and plenty of experimentation. Trust us, this was the first issue brought up when Keelin suggested the system.

The lizardman / non human thing is a simple thing for the AI. They're not human. We reserve the right to get cranky if the AI is electrifying lizards just because they can, but otherwise I trust our players not to be idiots about this.

For now, let's hold off on criticism or praise until we've had a day or so with it. I'll open a feedback thread soon.
Secret Identity (-2): You join as an Unknown, but your true name is revealed upon death.

Ectoplasmic Body (+1): You join as the spooky Halloween half-ghost thing.

Stowaway (+1): No ID, no PDA, and you're not on the crew manifest.

Cursed (+1): You're terribly unlucky. Vending Machines fall on you more often, you're more likely to fall into disposal outlets, zoldorf always gives you bad fortunes, etc.

Blessed (-1): opposite of cursed

Gourmet (-1): Food heals you double, and heals you for half even when your wounds are too severe to normally do do

Fat (+1): You're fat.

Haunted (+1): You can see player ghost mobs (no names) and the chat occasionally spits out creepy messages of then calling for your death

Possessed (+2): There's a madness demon inside you that occasionally takes over for a minute at a time, picking fights and screaming on the radio crazy shit

Damned (+2): You can't step on holy ground without suffering some serious burns, and holy water acts like acid

Bee Foster parent (-2): if a bee doesn't have a bee mom already set, or it.s current bee mom is dead, your hugs can adopt it so that you're it's new bee mom
Dauntasa you have a good point but just remember that these are a work in progress. The whole system is subject to change at any given time. Plus there are more negative traits then there are positive, which I think is a good thing. This new system (if you want to call it that) has a chance to be really fun. It's something different and in my opinion we needed something different for a long time now.