Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Stock Market Company broke
I know it's a WIP but I thought I should report this anyways.

I was checking out the stock market and suddenly one company's stock suddenly started going super high in value.

[Image: dDLY0ne.png]
[Image: 3YhiJPy.png]

It got super high and eventually a borrow option popped up. I took it and waited a minute or so before cashing out resulting in me profiting with ~1.000^15 dollars

[Image: Fooono0.png]

As you can see in above pic: It eventually came down, but I don't think it was supposed to get this high this fast. The other stocks were barely budging past whole numbers, nevermind this exponential nonsense.
people fucking love sugarfree beef meat

on a related note, I've seen companies have something like 1.03e-11 shares available, so that you couldn't purchase any because there was less than one share available
Yeah. I made speculative bubbles. The problem is they don't seem to pop properly. To be fair, I'm surprised several companies manage to stay stable, I was expecting a much worse first week.

Anyway, I'll be adjusting numbers until these stop cropping up. I'll probably eliminate percentage based value change even for highly speculated stock.

As for the very low amount of shares in a company, it's due to share merge because of a rapidly dropping value (effectively the opposite of the price skyrocket that you're observing).

Also, I'm curious how you managed to pay the deposit for some company with values in the quadrillion range, unless that's not checked properly.
Marquesas Wrote:Also, I'm curious how you managed to pay the deposit for some company with values in the quadrillion range, unless that's not checked properly.

There was a borrow option that appeared after the bubble started. 700 stocks for in exchange for 58% of 100,000,000,000,000,000... sounded like a solid deal.
Walrus Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:Also, I'm curious how you managed to pay the deposit for some company with values in the quadrillion range, unless that's not checked properly.

There was a borrow option that appeared after the bubble started. 700 stocks for in exchange for 58% of 100,000,000,000,000,000... sounded like a solid deal.

OH, I only just realized what you meant by that. Yeah the deposit amount doesn't seem to check if you have the money. Some broke shmuck can just borrow stocks if he feels like it.
Walrus Wrote:
Walrus Wrote:

OH, I only just realized what you meant by that. Yeah the deposit amount doesn't seem to check if you have the money. Some broke shmuck can just borrow stocks if he feels like it.
people do that in real life, though, where they buy stocks they can't actually afford in the hopes that the price will go up and they can immediately sell them, pay back the original seller, and pocket the difference
As far as I understand, when shorting, you hope the stock prices go down so when you need to return the shares, you can do so at a lower price, pocketing that difference. I mean otherwise from a brokering agency standpoint I wouldn't see a lot of point to it. Borrowing is more or less intended to model this, although the fixed time limit gives some extra maneuvering room ultimately in your favour. I'll get a good night's sleep and deliberate how to proceed from there.
The issue was that the deposit was added to your account rather than being subtracted.

Also, runaway stock prices should be fixed now. The trends are still sort-of one-sided, but adding more events seem to have a better fluctuating effect. Let me know if it pops up again.