Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Not Over Yet: Escape Shuttle Transit Period
Not too long ago I took a private SS13 server for a spin (joined it, didn't run it) and was pretty impressed by how they handled the Escape Shuttle. Instead of instantly warping to Centcomm, the shuttle spent about a minute or so 'In-Transit' through Hyperspace. After leaving the station, the shuttle and everyone inside was taken to a Hyperspace area where all of the space tiles appeared to be moving (think Star Wars) and the players had about two minutes to kill/heal each other before arriving at Centcomm. I'm pretty sure this was implemented on the /tg/ and /vg/ stations back in the day, but it's been a while since I've played on those servers.

Anywho, here's what I propose: Instead of instantly warping to Centcomm, the Escape Shuttle could spend a minute or two in Hyperspace Transit. Anyone tossed out of the shuttle emerges in a random point of space, but if this becomes a problem the shuttle could be outfitted with a 'Panic Button' of sorts, which seals the exterior airlocks. Adding this feature could potentially lower the frequency of Escape Wing clusterfucks caused by a last-ditch traitor attempt while also giving the traitor(s) an extra chance to take care of their target before reaching Centcomm.

As usual, apologies if this has already been suggested! I took a quick look using the search function and didn't find anything.
I haven't seen any suggestions toward this before and I think the addition would be nice. I like the idea of spacing some nerd into the mining Z-Level or something with this, or just have them gib or end up stranded on a telescience level. I just like the feel of the crew sitting nervously on the shuttle in the hopes they don't die on the way back.
I agree.

I kinda like the idea of chaotic last minute fights between the crew and antag as each struggles to throw the other out of the shuttle in time for shuttle end.
It also allows for a final struggle vs that guy trying to spoil your 'escape alone' objective by rushing in during the last five seconds.
This is how /tg/ has been for a few years now.

I'd really like to see it in goon.
I like this idea, it would also help encourage people not to immediately start murdering eachother for no reason as soon as they set foot on the shuttle.
I played on a server that did this. I remember they actually had a much more elaborate escape shuttle, complete with it's own little mini-brig for captured prisoners.
Frank_Stein Wrote:I played on a server that did this. I remember they actually had a much more elaborate escape shuttle, complete with it's own little mini-brig for captured prisoners.

That could certainly make things interesting! Maybe it could make brigging/non-lethal traitor management feasible. Any traitors contained in the Escape Cell could be counted as 'In Custody' or something. You could also drop a reinforced window/grille in there just to give the prisoner a fighting chance.
I remember proposing an idea along these lines a while back, but not in regards to the escape shuttle: It was actually in regards to nuke ops. Teamwork can be a really big issue and some folks just grab all of the RPG rockets and run off without so much as a single word, so mandating a waiting period before getting your gear can help in formulating team strategy. But I can see it working very well with the escape shuttle, too.

Erev Wrote:It also allows for a final struggle vs that guy trying to spoil your 'escape alone' objective by rushing in during the last five seconds.
Also this, I really like this. It would make for some very tense final showdowns between antagonists and non-antagonists, and would also provide a bit more in the way of strategy. Do you try to strongarm the escape shuttle to make sure that no one gets into the thing to begin with, or do you lie in wait until the shuttle's left before pulling out the weapons of mass destruction?
I actually love the couple of minutes of flight time that some other stations have. If it can be done I'd be happy to see it here too.
The main problem I can see with this is that you'd have no escape from the ubiquitous chemistry "experiments" on the shuttle.
Noah Buttes Wrote:The main problem I can see with this is that you'd have no escape from the ubiquitous chemistry "experiments" on the shuttle.

The round wouldn't be over until it's docked at centcom.
Chemistry experiments before the shuttle docks will be met with unpleasantness.
the little two minute period between leaving the station and arriving at centcom was one of my favorite parts of /tg/ station rounds back when I was a regular there. seeing it added to goonstation would be amazing. however this would require increasing the size of the escape shuttle significantly. take a look at the escape shuttle for the Boxstation and Metastation SS13 maps and build off of those and you have a perfect escape shuttle for transit.
Hello. We coders like this idea and are hashing out the best ways to do it. This might actually get implemented w h o a.
Wire Wrote:Hello. We coders like this idea and are hashing out the best ways to do it. This might actually get implemented w h o a.
:O