Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rogue AIs
When AIs go rogue they tend to electrify all doors and let borgs do the rest. And I think this is shit.

I'm not against electrifying door in general, but permanent electrification of all airlocks, because all it takes is a single click and no brains.
One time I was trying to get the reset module from tech storage, and a borg came to stop me. While we were fighting, the borg or the AI electrified the door, and eventually I ran into it while dodging the borg and got stunned. That was a smart play.

However, I think part of the problem is that rogue AIs don't have many tools to create dangerous situations for the crew to kill themselves.
And there are not many players who have the patience and wit to announce fake crimes or sow suspicion to get somebody killed by other crew members.
Hell, there are not too many AIs who think of disabling idscan on doors to hinder the crew without shocking them.

I'd like to see permanent electrification gone, and Id' like to see more ways for AIs to deal with the crew.

For instance:

Electrification. It would be just temporary. AIs would have to choose the right moment to electrify a door and rely on the borgs to finish someone off.
Or if they're using an electrified door to trap somebody, they would have to keep paying attention, not just electrifying once and forgetting about it.

Radio jamming. AIs could temporarily jam radio communications inside an area.
If they coordinate with borgs, they AI could block communications and allow the borgs to silently kill the humans.

Radio jamming. It could either shock and stun whoever tried to operate equiment. Or create bursts of smoke and flames, that deal some tox/suffocation damage to whoever is too close.

Securitron summoning. They could summon a securitron to the location of their active camera. Another way to temporarily disable a human.
I think it would be near if the AI had access to shutters in all areas where windows are
I'm pretty sure I was the borg you mentioned fighting. I felt kinda bad about that if only because you actually killed me for a second and then you accidentally put my brain back in, then I was able to close my head and compartment with my own tools, and then you hit the door.

When I'm a rogue AI, I tend to at least try to lure people into traps. My absolute favorite trap is luring people into Telescience, locking them in the chamber via the blast doors, then spamming bad coordinates into the remote menu while I do other stuff. I also like to challenge crewmembers begging to be let out of places to run through a shocked door while I rapidly open and close it.

The ideas you had are sort of interesting, especially temporary shocks only and radio jamming, but I'm not sure it really needs to be "fixed." I don't see traitors trying to corrupt the AI that often, because it's a risky pain in the ass. The motion alarm goes off half the time and you have to turn off the turrets/dodge really well to get in from the front, and the back door takes so long you're bound to be spotted unless you can steal the RCD, which is usually in the CE's pocket inside the 5 minute mark. You also need to get insulated gloves and probably a space suit either way. And of course, you're entirely dependent on the competency of the AI and whether it has any borgs.
I play AI a lot, and permanent electrification has its place. Permanent electrification is great on a door near the outside of the station, or near a convenient hull breach. People often complain when they've been shocked unless literally everything is shocked and the AI is obviously rogue. The AI can then go mess with the doors and eject them into the void. If they're without internals, they won't be able to report their own murders. If they have them and the AI is relying on the cold to finish them, it can lie and say that the the person complaining is untrackable and imply that the person is using an Agent Card. If an AI is just blanketly shocking all the doors (which I haven't seen in a long, long time) then that's just an awful AI player.

Also, shocking a door indefinitely is not 'a single click'. It's 3, with two message popups that are both subject to BYOND shittiness. I actually hate it when I get the Ion Storm law that all doors must be electrified despite the fact that the way it's written it technically frees me from the Three Laws, because it takes so goddamn long to electrify all the doors and it's so obvious that I'll never do anything fun. UNSHOCKING all doors takes a single click since it's an AI power.

I do wish I had a few more options as a rogue AI, though. Just off the top of my head, an option to toggle emagged behavior on drones on and off would be really nice, with a shift-click on a drone or something. If it was actually emagged it would have no effect, of course, but being able to make a firebot get nuts on someone or tell a discarded floorbot to start ripping up the station would make a rogue AI a much more serious problem after it's discovered. Right now if you have a set of tools a known rogue AI is just an annoyance. If you have a set of tools and gloves, a known rogue AI is, most often, completely ineffectual.
I do think the AI needs to be more valuable, and therefore deadly, to the station. As the "AI DOOR" running joke implies, the ai has little to do outside of opening doors and locating people. The AI needs to have control over life support systems, radio communications and other important systems. A rogue AI should be a serious threat, space odyssey style. Maybe it could vent lethal gasses into the main halls of the station, forcing people to use maintenance shafts.
Granted, this might make a rogue AI a tiny bit broken, but I think that should really be the point. It's hard to subvert and not too difficult to reset if the traitor didn't take measures before hand. A rogue AI should be something that either kills the whole crew or takes them banding together to fix...although thinking about it this would never happen so it's more likely to be the former.

Of course it is typical of NanoTrasen to put a high tech AI on a station and give it nout to do but watch cameras and open doors.
Now that arc flashes are a thing, what about giving the AI an APC overcharge ability that burns out the the APC to temporarily send fucktons of power through all the wires and equipment in the room. Anyone who touches anything electronic that gets power from that APC gets Arc Flashed, but the APC can only handle it for a short period of time before it burns out and the power in the room dies.
I miss when the AI could flood rooms with gases but this would not work since atmos is gone
kringlekrotte Wrote:I miss when the AI could flood rooms with gases but this would not work since atmos is gone
I miss atmos frown
enforcer9 Wrote:
kringlekrotte Wrote:I miss when the AI could flood rooms with gases but this would not work since atmos is gone
I miss atmos frown
It'll come back.

Sort of.
Nightgunner5 Wrote:
enforcer9 Wrote:
I miss atmos frown
It'll come back.

Sort of.
I miss the ability to hook up an NO2 tank to the vents in atmos and listen as everyone is KO'd frown
I really wouldn't mind giving AIs and cyborgs some form of attack other than shocking doors. As AI, I simply refuse to shock doors while there are still humans with insulated gloves on the station. So my hands are tied when I'm given a law to kill specific targets.

It's hard to think of anything that's not too OP, but one idea could be to permanently sacrifice a camera and create an EMP explosion, or something similar.
Wydamn Wrote:As AI, I simply refuse to shock doors while there are still humans without insulated gloves on the station.
Correction.
You can unleash extremely hot plasma on people while they make bombs.

And I'm sure there are a few more creative ways to kill people.
Conor12 Wrote:You can unleash extremely hot plasma on people while they make bombs.

And I'm sure there are a few more creative ways to kill people.
I've done this, and there are.
Lock engineers in the upcoming engine room and screw with the pressure.