Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clocks and Clockworks: For fun and (mostly) Profit!
(This was inspired by a Twilight Zone Episode, and a 3-generation fascination with clockwork in my family.)

I was dicking about with the workbench, and I noticed something: We have gears, coils of different sizes, and various old timey tools....Why not make clockwork machinery?

Stuff like small coils, gears and a tile makes a wall clock, that can be powered by power cell or a classic windup.

Large coils, wire, an empty crate, gears, rods, and any small item to make a grandfather clock, which can be powered by either a powercell, wind up key or wired directly to the powergrid.

Additional components and modules would allow features like chimes at the hour, sending a signal at a certain time, or broadcasting a message can be created at a general manufacturer. Best part though, is that the Quartermaster can get from mining or hydroponics to let the masses work on Artisan clocks, which not only bear the name of the maker, but depending on the quality of the materials used, will fetch a high price on the market.

There is also a dark side to the craft: Malcontents can fuck with the spring mechanisms to various effect: either overcranking it, causing the mechanisms to break and potentially fling out of the machine, and having a pie launcher chime and a spring-loaded boxing glove to deck passerby at certain time frames, to using them to make elaborate decorative time bombs that require a keen eye and an even steadier hand to discover and disarm!

Its not just timepieces either; Let your steampunk geek out with tripod-mounted guns that use a gear crank to allow rapid fire shots, perfect for rampaging pods attacking the station, monkey riots and space-bear elimination! Tasers can be used too, and would be good for monkey riots and ornery greysuits!
http://youtu.be/vtkGtXtDlQA
Nah. More like THIS: