Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
staff of cthulhu sucks lets change that
the staff of cthulhu is really a waste of a spell slot as things stand. The damage buff you get for having it is kind of lame, and nobody tries to pick up the damn thing by hand anymore. More often than not it's lost the second a wizard slips on a puddle or blows himself up with a fireball. let us discuss fixing it so that people actually take this cool thing. i for one want more variety than fireball/teleport/ice/cluwne/???

ideas:

copy/paste the police baton code into the staff's on-hit. Maybe if it actually stunned people, people would take it?? i dunno. damage could remain, then.

have clairvoyance be able to locate the staff. When a wiz drops it (which is likely), all a nerd needs to do is stuff the staff in a crate and then its gone for good. This could work, or the staff could spawn with a pinpointer of some kind so that the wizman can retrieve his fallen stick

please post more ideas about the staff and also other wizard related complaints/ideas
it's an entire spell slot so you might as well just make it so that he can recall it to his hand at will from wherever it is
As it stands, the staff will deal tremendous amounts of brain damage to non-wizards that try to pick it up.

I would suggest also adding a brain damage AoE to the staff that gets more powerful the closer you are to it. Of course, the wizards and the chaplain would be immune to it.

It would also be neat if the staff could NOT just be put into a container by a non-wizard: have it either completely destroy the container it is put in and/or give deadly brain damage to the person that does try to be a cheeky bastard by placing the staff in a box.

Third suggestion would be giving the wizards the possibility to toggle a spell that would make the staff undropable, no matter what: slipped on a banana? The moment you get back up, it's already in your band! Pubbie MacPubbison the staff assistant tries to disarm you ? Not gonna work, etc.

Like Dauntasa said, there should also be a way to just recall the staff back to you.
Make it like Thor's hammer. Completely immobile. You put it in a locker/crate? Well now that container can't be moved from the spot it's in.

If there's a spell that makes it return to hand it should just smash open the container. I do think the spell should only work if the wizard is within sight of the staff/container the staff is inside, though.
Dauntasa Wrote:it's an entire spell slot so you might as well just make it so that he can recall it to his hand at will from wherever it is
100x this.

It's a simple and clean improvement. Click button, staff comes to hand. Bam.
DyssalC Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:it's an entire spell slot so you might as well just make it so that he can recall it to his hand at will from wherever it is
100x this.

It's a simple and clean improvement. Click button, staff comes to hand. Bam.

Yep. This is all that it needs.

Personally i'd like to see wizards have 3 staffs to choose from instead of the plain old normal or currently crappy cthulhu staff. Bit of variety to what is at the moment a dull antagonist.
It's a /tg/ copy but give us a Staff of Anima-ing Objects get in not go out
I'd definitely be down for any special staves being both immovable objects, and returning to the wizard's hands on command. Maybe one of them could break down the walls and cause damage to anything caught in the way too, though that might be a bit exploitable if you drop it and teleport elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind seeing a wand as a spellcasting aid that can fit in your pocket, or have one that can also be used like the old syndicate dagger item.
Frank_Stein Wrote:Make it like Thor's hammer. Completely immobile. You put it in a locker/crate? Well now that container can't be moved from the spot it's in.

If there's a spell that makes it return to hand it should just smash open the container. I do think the spell should only work if the wizard is within sight of the staff/container the staff is inside, though.
So if Thor drops it, how does the earth keep turning?
Dabir Wrote:
Frank_Stein Wrote:Make it like Thor's hammer. Completely immobile. You put it in a locker/crate? Well now that container can't be moved from the spot it's in.

So if Thor drops it, how does the earth keep turning?
Space magic?
Dabir Wrote:So if Thor drops it, how does the earth keep turning?
interestingly, I once did the math and found out that at Thor gently pressing his hammer against you at 1cm/s would have the same energy as dropping a couple hundred empire state buildings on you

Ever played Bioshock: Infinite?

You know how the entire city is floating in the sky? It's explained it's not really floating but there's particles locked in that area of space, essentially frozen in that state. This has an actual name but I can't for the life of me remember it.

Basically, even with the actual incredible weight of the thing, it's that it's locked in place in that area of space which it resides untill someone considered worthy attempts to move it, at which point it 'unlocks' and can be moved around in space once more.

I really wish I could remember where I read this.

[/nerdalert]
UrsulaMejor Wrote:
interestingly, I once did the math and found out that at Thor gently pressing his hammer against you at 1cm/s would have the same energy as dropping a couple hundred empire state buildings on you

You cannot press with a measure of velocity.
make throwing the staff at someone have the same effects as if they tried to pick it up Frog Eyes
Berrik Wrote:make throwing the staff at someone have the same effects as if they tried to pick it up Frog Eyes

Yes