Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cameras and the paranormal
Two ideas.

1. Have ghosts be captureable on cameras. Same effect as the ghost busting gun. The ghosts would also be unnamed and undetailed in the resulting photograph. Or just show up as orbs. Maybe it does minor damage to the wraith?

2. Vampires shouldn't show up in photographs. That way Vampires have a test similar to changelings.
Shoot, I meant to post this in suggestions.
I dunno about the ghost thing. Could be interesting maybe? Don't really see the point in it.

No to the second one. To test a ling you have to get it to hold still and get within melee range to draw their blood and heat it up for a bit. Vamps, among their other weaknesses, already have a test that instantly identifies them and does crippling damage (Holy water). There's no need for yet another instant vampire identification method that can be done with no actual indication to the vampire from half a screen away.
there are two cameras on station with limited ammo, on days without tourists. I don't see the harm given that I highly doubt behaviour can or will change in light of this
"HoS! Pub McScrub is a vamp!"
"Do you have any proof?"
"I got a picture of him!"
*hands picture over*
"There's nothing in this picture."
"Exactly!"
Off the top of my head there's three - detective, info office, telescience.

I'm just not sure what it adds either. Even supposing nobody runs around snapping pictures of everyone else I an attempt at vamp-hunting, it's still another weakness vampires are going to have to take into account that is going to provide no tangible effect 90% of the time.
Mostly the whole ghost/orb thing was just an idea for a fun little easter egg type thing reminiscent of Fatal Frame. I threw in the vampire thing when I remembered that they weren't supposed to have have reflections.

DyssalC Wrote:"HoS! Pub McScrub is a vamp!"
"Do you have any proof?"
*hands picture over*
"Exactly!"

This is how that ideally would go. That or a tourist snaps a picture, sees no image, screams and gets glared and eaten.
What actually happens:

Captain takes a picture of vampire.
Captain silently lasers the vampire to death and gibs the corpse.
Captain feels like a big man now.
DyssalC Wrote:"HoS! Pub McScrub is a vamp!"
"Do you have any proof?"
*hands picture over*
"Exactly!"
"This is not considered as a proof"
Spy_Guy Wrote:What actually happens:

Pretty much. The thing is that, for a vampire/changeling/whatever test to be fairly balanced, the antagonist needs to know that it's taking place and it needs to be at a sufficient distance for the vampire to retaliate. Cameras fulfill neither of these two categories. Vampires already have the bible, holy water, and the entire chapel to worry about, and those are things that they can avoid given some effort.

For this to happen:

1. The captain must know a vampire is around OR they must be a huge metagaming asshole who would actually be willing to waste their time getting the cameras around and taking a picture of each crewman for the purpose of testing them.
2. The captain must give a shit.
3. The captain has to actually take a picture of the vampire with the camera. This means he will have to snap a pic of many people. Some people will be moving, risking the chance of somebody NOT being in the picture because they moved too quick, causing them to kill them as a non antag. They could negate this by telling them to hold still and threatening to arrest them if they don't.
4. When they find the vampire they have to not be shit, making this course of events unlikely (see ALMOST EVERY SYNDIE ROUND EVER).

I only see this being useful when the crew KNOWS there's a vamp around and they're disguised. Like, I have no idea why you think sec is going to suddenly start snapping pics of everybody. That's a really dumb train of thought.

However I do agree that it seems like the addition of a needless weakness for vampire.
How about the ghosts thing? Or the damage to the Wraith? How do you guys feel about that?
For those I think actually getting a ghost in frame unless you've gotten the ghost glasses would be so rare that it basically never happens. Regarding the wraith I don't really think a way of damaging it while it's incorporeal and therefore "safe" is a very good idea. Depending on how much damage the camera does you'd probably have wraith-hunting shitlords grabbing the ghost glasses and hoarding every camera on the station so that when the wraith makes a narrow escape they can finish it off and feel cool. If it works while they're visible the wraith is gonna get mobbed by every tourist ever.
DyssalC Wrote:

For this to happen:

1. The captain must know a vampire is around OR they must be a huge metagaming asshole who would actually be willing to waste their time getting the cameras around and taking a picture of each crewman for the purpose of testing them.
2. The captain must give a shit.
3. The captain has to actually take a picture of the vampire with the camera. This means he will have to snap a pic of many people. Some people will be moving, risking the chance of somebody NOT being in the picture because they moved too quick, causing them to kill them as a non antag. They could negate this by telling them to hold still and threatening to arrest them if they don't.
4. When they find the vampire they have to not be shit, making this course of events unlikely (see ALMOST EVERY SYNDIE ROUND EVER).

I only see this being useful when the crew KNOWS there's a vamp around and they're disguised. Like, I have no idea why you think sec is going to suddenly start snapping pics of everybody. That's a really dumb train of thought.

However I do agree that it seems like the addition of a needless weakness for vampire.

Except in reality:
1. The captain is usually a play to win asshole grabbing the slot for access, free gun and potential captain treason. People of this category are liable to use cheap tricks to traitor hunt.
2. The captain is shit. He also usually gives a shit about the antagonist murder bit.
3. Clicking the mob with the camera ensures that the mob is photographed regardless of whether it moved or not.
Grizzwold Wrote:For those I think actually getting a ghost in frame unless you've gotten the ghost glasses would be so rare that it basically never happens. Regarding the wraith I don't really think a way of damaging it while it's incorporeal and therefore "safe" is a very good idea. Depending on how much damage the camera does you'd probably have wraith-hunting shitlords grabbing the ghost glasses and hoarding every camera on the station so that when the wraith makes a narrow escape they can finish it off and feel cool. If it works while they're visible the wraith is gonna get mobbed by every tourist ever.

The fact that the camera photographer would only rarely get ghosts on camera would keep it from getting completely old.

Hrm. I figured it would be an attack once the Wraith is visible, though maybe it could work like salt and just force them to become visible?