Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bar-man cocktails give a shartload of ethanol
so most barman drinks translate into 5-7 units of ethanol per unit of ingested [drink]. considering that a cocktail glass holds 20 units, that means we get approximately 140 units of ethanol for a single glass

at a depletion rate of .4 / tick that means like 350 ticks to completely rid myself of alcohol.

i tried roughly measuring our ticks/second and i got like 1.5-2, so that's 525-700 seconds of hammered

so if some janitor slips me and force feeds me a piƱa colada im smashed as hell for like 10 minutes. that's pretty hilarious actually but also somehow doesn't seem right . I might be a lightweight irl but I don't think I start yakking until at least 2 martinis into the night so uh

having higher depletion rate for alcohol or make our drinks less likely to knock you the fuck down would fix this. then again if ss13 is supposed to encourage sobriety keep this shit in cuz damn
I think that's less of a bug and more of a suggestion, but ya. Drinks give you a lot of ethanol. In fact, a vodka martini will absolutely fuck you up immediately.
Actually, I tested the epu (ethanol per unit) rating of (almost) all alcoholic beverages, and the vast majority of them are either at 9 or 12 epu, with sine drinks (including tequila, a base drink) being 15 epu.

That pina colada that's getting you hammered as hell, for the record, has just as much alcohol content as vodka, at 12 epu. Vodka martinis, I believe, also have this exact same alcohol rating, or perhaps 9 epu. I don't have my list in front of me.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:with some drinks (including tequila, a base drink) being 15 epu.
God dammit autocorrect.
This is a suggestion, and you know what? It's a good suggestion, it doesn't make any sense that cider would get you more smashed than ethanol.
I believe that the epu (yes I'm still using that) ratings for most beverages has been changed lately, but I haven't gotten around to testing yet.
A single sip of vodka will put you up to 100 units of ethanol not accounting for absorption. Beer puts you up to like 20. Negroni and Manhattan to 70. Woo. Never paid attention to that. Probably should have figured with the whole 'not being able to see' thing.

I guess 2d spacemen like their alcohol to double as ship fuel. Very practical.
Time for booze math, folks!

My previous guess was right: All ept (ethanol per tick, a more accurate unit of measurement) ratings have been divided by three across the board, presumably for all drinks. This means that beer is now at a baseline of 1u ept.

All alcoholic beverages decay at a rate of 0.4u per tick, and each drink from a glass transfers 5u of the contents into the bloodstream, with each pre-generated bottle containing 30u of the beverage in question (they have a capacity of 50, but only come with 30. dunno why.), though drinking glasses can up that to 50u.

Now, I took the liberty of calculating the exact ethanol thresholds for various levels of drunkness: Slurred speech at 30u, Stage 1 Drunk at 75u, Stage 2 Drunk at 125u, and the ultimate Stage 3 Drunk at 300u.

(Note that all of the below calculations are made post-absorption, i.e. factoring in ethanol's depletion rates.)

On beer, and any other low-alcohol (1 ept) beverage such as champagne, it takes AT LEAST a full 30-unit bottle to get effects even as simple as slurred speech, and it's nigh impossible to get fully drunk (even to the first stage) unless you're blowing through multiple bottles at a time.

Going into more standard alcohol rates such as wine and Old Fashioned (3 ept), just one sip is enough to carry you over the slurred speech threshold, albeit just by a few units of ethanol. A full bottle lands you in firm Stage 2 Drunk territory, and a full 50u drinking glass carries you just over into Stage 3 Drunk levels, albeit after over a hundred ticks of metabolizing.

Now getting into the somewhat more potent stuff, with vodka and martinis at 4 ept and tequilas at 5 ept. Just one sip is enough to make your speech heavily slurred, and going through a whole bottle of this stuff is enough to land you firmly in Stage 2 Drunk territory, or even Stage 3 Drunk in the case of tequilas.

Getting into the strong, hard liquor like Long Island Iced Tea and Mind Eraser (both at 8 ept) is where things start getting crazy. Just one sip of either of these drinks is enough to put 100u of ethanol in your system, landing you firmly in Stage 1 Drunk territory. By the time you're halfway through your glass, you've got enough ethanol brewing to make you a vomiting, barely coherent mess.

But lets get even crazier and start bringing in things like moonshine. Moonshine clocks in at 10 ept, making just one sip of this stuff enough to just barely inch the consumer past Stage 2 Drunk levels. Any more than that and you're really pushing your luck. Suicider, coming in at 15 ept, is enough to induce Stage 3 Drunk symptoms in just two sips.

And finally, grog and dragon's breath both rate at a whopping 20 ept, the single hardest alcohols in the entire game. One single sip puts you DEEP in Stage 2 Drunk territory, and if you somehow manage to down an entire bottle/glass of the stuff, the math shows that you're gonna have upwards of over two thousand units of ethanol in your system during the metabolic process. But then again, that's grog, that's meant to be insane.

Dunno if these statistics help any, but there you go. There's a bit of an exponential growth in how quick a drink gets you hammered depending on the ept rating, but honestly, chugging an entire bottle of vodka is probably gonna get you shitfaced regardless.
Shit, I hit submit too soon.

If anything, I think that the fact that the "drinking glasses" hold just as much liquor as a full bottle is capable of holding should be changed, or perhaps the ingestion per sip should be changed from 5 units to something smaller if the former isn't implemented. Like I said, chugging a full bottle of vodka should definitely get you shitfaced, but chugging a GLASS of vodka shouldn't have identical results.
Damn, that's some good posting ya did there. Booze science! Hope you got a good grant. I've seen em given out for less!

A note on my previous post: I forgot that I had slow metabolism, so I basically get twice as drunk for twice as long! Goodness I love that trait.
With wide access to charcoal and limeade this is a non issue, this is one of those super not broke systems that translates well in game play.
vampirate Wrote:With wide access to charcoal and limeade this is a non issue, this is one of those super not broke systems that translates well in game play.

well it is still rather strange when something that is one part alcohol and two parts mixer is imbibed and suddenly contains three to five times as much alcohol as an equal amount of straight booze.
No more strange than any other spaceman logic. It's the miracle magic of cocktails, and it gives the chef incentive to make drinks that aren't straight. The world of space station 13 is weird. That's the way it should be.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:Shit, I hit submit too soon.

If anything, I think that the fact that the "drinking glasses" hold just as much liquor as a full bottle is capable of holding should be changed, or perhaps the ingestion per sip should be changed from 5 units to something smaller if the former isn't implemented. Like I said, chugging a full bottle of vodka should definitely get you shitfaced, but chugging a GLASS of vodka shouldn't have identical results.
I mean, a full glass of vodka would probably get you pretty fucked up, but a bottle should definitely not be roughly equivalent to a glass.
Yeah the bottles should definitely at least be 100 units bottles. Though to be fair if they are just representative of little liter bottles it's not out of the question. But really... asking for adequate portion realism in the game is kinda silly. I believe the alcohol system is kind of one of the most functional.