Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerf radbows
Radiation hurts, a lot. There seems to be a recent surge of radbow usage, possibly due to the whole swappable batteries thing, and I've noticed that, for their cost, radbows seem tremendously powerful. Getting hit with 20 units of radiation is basically a death sentence without immediate medical attention (or even WITH immediate medical attention) due to the rate at which the damage starts accumulating. This on its own, however, isn't what bothers me about the radbow. It's meant to be a single-target, powerful weapon that's good for picking out single targets but not for much else, and it does that well.

No, my problem with it is threefold:

1. It's not "eventually lethal", it's pretty much immediately lethal. The radiation damage puts you in crit in about a minute or so, and you rack up about three different (and usually nasty) mutations in between getting shot and being dead. Just today, I was radbowed while inside of the medical booth next to the bar and was absolutely powerless to stop the radiation's effects no matter how much medicine I ingested, not to mention that constantly falling unconscious made getting the meds in me difficult anyways.
2. It it's too powerful for its measly 3-telecrystal cost. For the above reasons, getting hit by a radbow in nine out of ten circumstances means death or at the very least the inability to function due to insane amounts of damage and debilitating mutations. The fact that a traitor could conceivably have FOUR of these things at once does not strike me as a good idea. If the power doesn't change, it might be worth bumping up the cost by a few telecrystals at the least.
3. Its recharge rate. If neither of the above three things are changed, at least decrease the amount of time in between shots. Limiting radbows to 100 PU cells helps, but radbows have had an alarming habit of becoming weapons of mass destruction as opposed to the effectively-oneshot stealth items that they're intended to be. I've been radbowed and then radbowed again while trying to heal from the same radbow, and I'm pretty sure the same person radbowed another guy who was also trying to heal.

Limiting any of these three factors will help balance the radbow out, though others are free to share their suggestions and thoughts on how to better tweak this.
I think they're fine. With immediate attention you can live, though it requires careful balancing of medicine so the charcoal isn't cancelling out the potassium iodide and silver sulf. When I hear word of radbows, I get my ass to chemistry and make pentetic so I can laugh in their face.

Whiffing the stealth shot is mighty common, and it has a super obvious in hand sprite. If you're being pegged multiple times, it means someone bought two, since the radbow cell change nightmare ended very quickly.
it used to be absolute fucking trash before it was improved

and besides, if you miss with it you're pretty much fucked since your cover is blown and you gotta wait what feels like forever for it to recharge

but i will agree with you that it could be a little more expensive
Grayshift Wrote:make pentetic
I haven't seen a radbow since the change, but radiation is basically perfectly calibrated to bring out people's wrong methods of medical treatment. Take a mutadone, shoot up some potassium iodide, and hop in the cryo tube. Bam, you're safe.
Radbows are fine currently. They have a easily noticeable in-hand sprite, so if you're anywhere near people it's unlikely that one would be used. It's a high risk high reward item, as you have to be able to actually hit the person with a single shot. It DOES kill over time as compared to the derringer you can't kill someone is less than 10 seconds. If they can scream for help quick enough you can usually survive, or be cloned quickly. The only thing the radbow may need it a little increase in cost, but why limit traitors? Stop with the knee-jerk nerf reactions to every traitor item, traitor is supposed to be a FUN role not something you necessarily need to actually be good at to enjoy.
Increase radbow to 4 telecrystals, or dare i say it, 5?

Radbow is easily on par with a revolver (which is 6 telecrystals) in terms of deadliness, due to its recharge, soundless and debilitating nature.
I have to agree with the others. The radbows are fine where there are at.
Radbows are fine at the moment. I think there was a time where you could swap a larger battery into them, which was stupid, but as it is they're fine.
Personally I don't think an increase to 4 tcs would hurt. Most of the mentioned drawbacks are about how it's fairly easy to blow your cover if you slip up. Maybe it's just my skewed perspective, but it seems just buying all the radbows you can and going to town is one of the more common strategies, in which case stealth isn't really a factor and you can effectively cut down recharge time to a fraction. Not saying this isn't a legitimate strategy, just suggesting it be slightly repriced to better fit that role.
Honestly, I don't think radbows should be nerfed or made more expensive.
Sure, having multiple radbows cuts down on the recharge time, but you're not factoring in that you can easily miss your far shots with the way projectiles work nowadays and you need a stealth storage to really make do with stealthy radbow work (at 10 TCs in the past, you can afford a max of 3 radbows and 1 stealth storage, amping up the price to 4 TCs will only afford you the radbows themselves).
Radbows are fine the way they are, especially since if someone notices you nailing them with one they'll immediately shriek their lungs out over the radio-- and unlike the revolver or spacker or even the .22, you don't have a lot of extra ammo to potentially get in a big running fight with people.
I totally agree with the nerf. I recall stumbling upon an officer who had the entire NanoMed's supply of potassium iodide epi-pens on the floor, constantly injecting himself.

He fell over and died moments afterwards. Kinda ridiculous, really.
You gotta take other meds too to deal with the burn and tox damage, you can't just inject PI and walk away.