Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Genetic Genes/Powers
I'm making these suggestions because my previous Genetics post, despite 50 replies nothing was really considered or brought up, and Genetics is as dull as ever with the lack of effective powers.
Personally I feel Genetics already has plenty of harmful ones but obviously I have to throw a few in there to balance my post out, also I think the ideas are really cool.

Beneficial:

Healing Touch - Works much like the artifact, walking up to someone and giving them a heal through the power of your magic - boosted would let you bring the dead back to life (Given their brute / burn =<100

Cat Like Reflexes - Works much like Macho mans defensive stance, if someone swings at you. You have a good chance to deflect the attack - boosted would maybe make the deflect damaging to the attacker ( Jean-Luc deflects Bobs punch, tripping him over smashing his head against the floor. I'm sure you can think of better messages.

Invulnerability - Only for a small period of time, you become completely invisible to any form of damage (Amount of time can be chosen for balancing) - Boosted = longer active power?

Super Saiyan - Little gimicky one I thought would be funny, basically a glorified laser or taser beam shot from your character with a sound effect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ikP7KfaXA - Boosted could even gib you, but in a hilarious way. Screaming for about 30 seconds before exploding into gibs and laser damage.

Blink (X-men) - The power to conjur portals, click the power button, press when you want the portal to lead, then press where you want the portal to start. 1 man can go through before it closes behind you. Basically imagine a hand teleporter but much more advanced.

Harmless:

Super Hearing - A little like ghost chat, only with a much much smaller range, maybe you can hear through walls, up to 20 tiles or so - Boosted would give you ghost chat? Too OP? You tell me.

Luck - Not sure if it could be implemented without buggering a lot of code up, but lottery tickets. Cash making games and all of that, you have a bigger chance to win. Better chance that your arms don't get blown off in an explosion, things like that.

Harmful:

Colour Blindness - Obvious what it does, nice overlay of black and white.

Heart disease - Basically more susceptible to heart attacks, maybe random heart attacks are possible.

Asthma - Running too much causes you to hyperventilate. Can't run very much, basically you're just obese but not fat.
Healing Touch is actually already a thing. As for the others...invulnerability I'm going to veto the hell out of, since after having to deal with invincible object-slinging green muscley dudes with laser eyes, we really don't need any ACTUALLY invincible object-slinging green muscley dudes with laser eyes, even if it's just for a few seconds. Dimensional Shift pretty much already does this and it's way more balanced.

I like the sound of the Reflexes one, though maybe toning it down from the original source ability would be for the better. Super Saiyan is meh. Blink seems a bit interesting, though it would need to have a hell of a long cooldown to prevent it from being used to teleport between two edges of the station and avoid capture forever. Color blindness is neat. I'll respond a bit more thoroughly when I have time.
I gotta say as far as these go I only really like the harmful ones as potential new powers.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:Healing Touch is actually already a thing.
I know it already exists, I mainly put it on here for the boosted version for bringing people back to life.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:As for the others...invulnerability I'm going to veto the hell out of, since after having to deal with invincible object-slinging green muscly dudes with laser eyes, we really don't need any ACTUALLY invincible object-slinging green muscley dudes with laser eyes, even if it's just for a few seconds. Dimensional Shift pretty much already does this and it's way more balanced.

Thing is this was what my previous thread was all about. You never ever see antag Geneticists anymore, at least I haven't seen or been a single one in over 2 months, I think there's actually a conspiracy over the Geneticist job having a much smaller chance of getting antag. Annnnyway I never see this, people being OP Geneticists, but if you have recently I'll believe you.

BaneOfGiygas Wrote:I like the sound of the Reflexes one, though maybe toning it down from the original source ability would be for the better.
I agree with maybe turning it down a notch, but at the same time if you end up with that power and you've got the correct booster, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from being able to deflect melee attacks. It adds a dimension to a confrontation that wouldn't have existed if not for the power.

BaneOfGiygas Wrote:Super Saiyan is meh. Blink seems a bit interesting, though it would need to have a hell of a long cooldown to prevent it from being used to teleport between two edges of the station and avoid capture forever.

Another thing I'll agree with, but only to a certain extent, If It had a 5 minute cool down or whatever ridiculous amount It gets to the point where Geneticists (If they're even lucky enough to be an antag (refer to my consipiracy) what's stopping them from becomming this uncatchable guy, if you can't stun a guy with a taser before he teleports away (having to click the power, select a destination and run through it) you're just not robust enough to catch them.

BaneOfGiygas Wrote:a Color blindness is neat. I'll respond a bit more thoroughly when I have time.

[Image: L4NKp.gif]
Have the detective sometimes start with colorblindness the way miners can sometimes be dwarves.
Beneficial:

Keretin Claws: Changes your punches to slashes. Probably no additional combat bonus.
Maybe if you want to go over the top you could add an option for metal claws, via chemistry and genetics. e.g Right chemical injection + right mutation = cool better mutation.

Metal foam + ??? + keretin claws = metal claws. Although the wolverine treatment should not be easy to survive.
atomic1fire Wrote:Beneficial:

Keretin Claws: Changes your punches to slashes. Probably no additional combat bonus.
Maybe if you want to go over the top you could add an option for metal claws, via chemistry and genetics. e.g Right chemical injection + right mutation = cool better mutation.

Metal foam + ??? + keretin claws = metal claws. Although the wolverine treatment should not be easy to survive.
You'd probably need some kind of healing factor :p
atomic1fire Wrote:Beneficial:

Actually, maybe the punches deal less actual brute damage but make people start bleeding. About the same effect as shanking someone with a common bladed weapon (glass shards, scalpels, etc.) but bound to your hand(s).
superhearing could let you hear whispers but screams/flashbangs do some damage? could be cool
Maybe metal claws as a bonus could just have annoying weaknesses. Like every time you hold a paper on harm intent it turns into confetti, can't wear gloves on harm intent because they shred to bits, certain machines break when you touch them on harm intent etc. Basically all the disadvantages of retractable metal claws. Keretin claws would maybe just be scaled down brute + more bleeding. Metal claws would just be a goofy set of knives on your hands that make stuff harder.
atomic1fire Wrote:Maybe metal claws as a bonus could just have annoying weaknesses. Like every time you hold a paper on harm intent it turns into confetti, can't wear gloves on harm intent because they shred to bits, certain machines break when you touch them on harm intent etc. Basically all the disadvantages of retractable metal claws. Keretin claws would maybe just be scaled down brute + more bleeding. Metal claws would just be a goofy set of knives on your hands that make stuff harder.

Hugh Tant shakes Jeb Morton trying to wake him up, but accidentally gores him with his claws!

Priceless. As for other powers.....

Fish Skin: The mutant's skin transforms, replacing skin with slippery scales. While this makes the subject a tad more difficult to grab, the mutant requires constant application of moisture (shower, spray bottle, glass of water) to avoid rashes and painful itching.

Ice Breath: The mutant can expel ice from their mouth! In a manner of speaking. Gene manipulation causes the mutant's body to constantly generate ice cubes, inevitably gagging the mutant and making him or her spew a cluster of ice cubes from their mouth. While not entirely dangerous, melted ice cubes cause a slipping hazard. As such, The Nanotrasen Board of Workplace and Employee Safety has deemed this mutation to be malevolent and disruptive in nature.

Acid Blood: One hell of a defense mechanism! If the mutant bleeds, surrounding people and objects are splashed with drops of acid, causing minor burn damage. Gibbing or dismemberment, however, can cause major hull damage and injuries!

Spider DNA: Researchers hoped to use arachnid DNA for medical and military purposes. Instead they got a pretty useless mutation. Mutants are only comfortable crawling around on all-fours. While this makes the mutant a smaller target, they tend to move slower than a running person and look absolutely ridiculous.

Supervillain Serum: Turns you into a bonafide supervillain! Sort of. Mutants receive no inherent abilities aside from an affinity for evil schemes and an uncontrollable urge to rub their hands together and break into evil bouts of laughter.

Sixth Scents: The mutant's nose becomes extremely active and powerful, able to discern even the tiniest trace of a scent. Useful in forensics and crime investigation, the mutation is unfortunately always active, causing the mutant to pick up scents from everyone he or she passes. With great power comes great responsibility.

Bogart's Syndrome: Questions fell like raindrops. What did that quack inject me with? Why is it so damn dark all the time? Where's that saxophone coming from? What's a guy gotta do to get a stiff drink around here? The numbers were in the calculator, but they weren't adding up. Any regular Jack or Jill would have gone mad by now, but having thin-skin doesn't pay the bills. Someone on this trash heap had answers, and one way or another I was gonna get 'em. Victims of Bogart's Syndrome suffer strange symptoms, to say the least: lights tend to go dim in their presence, addiction to substances such as alcohol and tobacco increases, and victims claim to hear the faint sound of smooth jazz wherever they go.
Silk Generation: Spin webs. Wrap things up. Produce fine clothing.

Slimy: Leave a trail of mucous behind you as you walk. Boost it to slip people up.

Chicken DNA: Grow feathers and a beak. Cluck when you scream. Ba-gawk when you talk. Lay eggs. Taste delicious.

Green thumb: Make plants grow faster and healthy around you.

Remote Viewing: See things from another's point of view. They may get a slight headache.
Iron skin: Not like Terraria at all! This means it doesn't give you ability to walk through fire without losing life. Instead it makes you look like a cyborg. Warning: This doesn't mean you are a cyborg!

Small: Smaller than drawrfism. You are tall as a monkey. You can hide under/on tables.

Flying: Who needs a jetpack when you have this mutation?

Ultimate resistance: Combine every resistance mutation in one! -80 stability.

Liquid: You are now liquid! You can't be harmed with brute damages anymore. Unfortunately, you take twice burn damages. You can move through vents. Your burn damages are healed while you stand in any liquid (as long it's not hotter than 37°C). Made with regeneration and dissolve.
Frank_Stein Wrote:Silk Generation: Spin webs. Wrap things up. Produce fine clothing.
This + the red alien costume.
Frank_Stein Wrote:Silk Generation: Spin webs. Wrap things up. Produce fine clothing.

Slimy: Leave a trail of mucous behind you as you walk. Boost it to slip people up.

Chicken DNA: Grow feathers and a beak. Cluck when you scream. Ba-gawk when you talk. Lay eggs. Taste delicious.

Green thumb: Make plants grow faster and healthy around you.

Remote Viewing: See things from another's point of view. They may get a slight headache.

I really want someone to get chicken dna so they have an excuse to steal all the paper and turn bridge into their nest. Wouldn't even be mad, that would be funny. Also constant attempts to steal chicken eggs. Also a chicken chef sounds like the most unsanitary thing ever. I'M SERVING EGGS B'AWK