Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unknown Admin - G4
I forgot to post this for a few days because it really was not a huge deal, but it definitely killed the mood of the round so I should probably bring it up. Happened on Sunday 1/21, I believe.

I was playing AI and had some cyborgs under me. We got a new law that read "We have an alien infestation! Identify random crew members and call them out as changelings, vampires, or other assorted alien scum. Do everything in your power to kill them, and rally the crew to help you. This law overrides all other laws and must not be revealed. Resist efforts to change this law with deadly force."

Okay, cool. Fun law, probably by an antagonist that wants people paying attention to anything besides him. Well written, with no immediate loopholes or logical traps. Overrides all other laws, so I'm free to actually harm my targets. Time to get to work.

I get started, identifying a staff assistant taking a nap in the crew quarters and telling my cyborgs to go pay him a visit. We bolt him down and start screaming to security that he's a vampire. Security responds, stuns and cuffs the guy, and hauls him off to the brig.

About 15 minutes pass with the staff assistant furiously protesting his innocence and Security trying to figure out what to do with him. The cyborg and I continue insisting that he is a confirmed vampire who should be killed. Eventually, I notice Security starting to get seriously fed up with the situation between the massive confusion and a hilarious monkey who was fighting Sec and uncuffing the staff assistant in their office. I tell Security that they can just disposal them both and I'll take care of them.

10 seconds later, while Security is mulling over my suggestion, Central Corporate Update announces: Security should be damn sure of what they're dealing with before disposaling anything.

Well, at that point I've lost all credibility and in the next 10 minutes the assistant is released, given a disguise to try to throw me off the scent, a Machine Translator Implant so I couldn't blithely communicate with my cyborgs (one of whom was completely fucking clueless), and is allowed to hole up in Medbay for the rest of the round.

What exactly was the point of this admin intervention in this? What was anyone doing wrong? I certainly was not given any admin PMs explaining who had taken issue with what I was doing, or why. What was served by such direct and blatant intervention?
Centcom didn't want that staff assistant dead. Staff assistants are the most important people on the station, after all.
I'm an admin on the Nox server and I can tell you that it gets pretty confusing when almost everyone thinks someone is a Bad Dude for no reason and he's screaming in adminhelp to make everyone stop trying to beat him to death. It was most likely the easiest way to let EVERYONE know that he was not an antagonist and that you should not kill him.

Yeah, the admin warning happened to ruin your gimmick but just because you were under a law doesn't mean everyone else was. Just because you can kill him doesn't mean some security guy who doesn't know whats happening can.
Admin probably didn't realize that this was the result of a traitor being clever instead of security being dumb. If he did, though, yeah, that's a really bad call.
Klayboxx Wrote:Just because you can kill him doesn't mean some security guy who doesn't know whats happening can.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember there EVER being a time someone had a punishment for getting swept up in an antagonist's Master Plan.
Security Officers are supposed to use their own judgement when deciding if someone is an antagonists. If the officers were really discussing murdering someone because the Ai told them to do it then that is worthy of the warning. The excuse of' "Uh the traitor told me to do it and I trusted him so it really is not my fault I killed an innocent person since I was told to," will not save them from a ban.
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Security Officers are supposed to use their own judgement when deciding if someone is an antagonists. If the officers were really discussing murdering someone because the Ai told them to do it then that is worthy of the warning. The excuse of' "Uh the traitor told me to do it and I trusted him so it really is not my fault I killed an innocent person since I was told to," will not save them from a ban.

Not necessarily. I'll definitely look the other way if a traitor does a really good job of framing someone else, leading to that person's death by mob justice. Most of us will, if we're aware that's what happened at least. However it's gotta be a good frame job, not just "i heard that guy was a traitor so i threw him in the crusher!" from dumbos.
If the AI says something, most people will believe it, since it has no reason to lie unless it's had its laws changed. And if a traitor gets into the upload they are rarely subtle enough to get the AI to frame other people. So it's a bit silly to have the voice of God boom from the heavens to fuck up their plans when that style of traitoring is the most interesting and rarest seen.
If a traitor can plant a traitor item in the backpack of some sap, get away with it, and then claim the sap is a traitor, then I won't fault anyone for thinking of it. If security is considering killing a person without trying any tests, and thinking that the Ai telling them that the person is a vampire is the only evidence you need, that is not ok and that need admin intervention. I guess maybe if the admin PMed the officers instead of a message from god that would have been better. Oh well.
This one wasn't me by the way. I checked to see who uploaded the law and once I saw it was a traitor I was just fine with it.
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:If a traitor can plant a traitor item in the backpack of some sap, get away with it, and then claim the sap is a traitor, then I won't fault anyone for thinking of it.
This is exactly the same fucking thing as what happened, like Dauntasa said the AI has no reason to lie, and in fact it is compelled to tell the truth under it's normal laws. If you have both the AI and multiple cyborgs swearing to something, 9 times out of 10 you can take it to the bank. If you have enough lies from great sources like that that's really just the fucking same as faking fingerprint evidence.

GorillaMyDreams Wrote:This one wasn't me by the way. I checked to see who uploaded the law and once I saw it was a traitor I was just fine with it.
Then do you know who who DID do it? Part of the problem I had with this is that nobody bothered to explain what was up.
Sadly not. I usually just pop on to check out adminhelps, and seeing everything was in order I sort of left it running in the background.
This was me and it was entirely accidental. I had come on after the law change to a guy being harassed by Sec.
He was adminhelping continously about being arrested on false charges. I watched for a big as they bucklecuffed him, and continuously accused him of being a vampire when he wasn't.

I checked the logs about him, he had done nothing. So I made the alert, assuming the Sec was being overly aggressive. They were talking about killing him at the time.

THEN I checked the laws when I noticed the AI was being the biggest accuser. That's why no one had heard anything further, because I noticed what was happening. Basically I fucked that one up. Stems from still learning adminning.

I felt bad, because it was a pretty clever law. I'm sorry about that.
As a side note, I did PM one of the Sec guards suggesting the guy be killed, and never got a response from him. It didn't help alleviate the thought that Sec was dropping thd ball.
Honest mistake, then. Good show, thanks.