Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make the blob nucleus more visible
[Image: 23d4203c84.jpg]
Some sample blob pallettes based on my proposed algorithm. I think they look nice?
I meant actually code this. Within reason, without added performance loss, within the capabilities of BYOND.

I understand the algorithm itself but this would both be needlessly complicated and fairly slow.
Marquesas Wrote:I meant actually code this. Within reason, without added performance loss, within the capabilities of BYOND.

I understand the algorithm itself but this would both be needlessly complicated and fairly slow.
I... don't understand how it would be either of those things?

The blob spawns. The blob picks its color one time, the organ color is then calculated using simple addition (the fastest of computer processes). There's no need for the calculation to ever be performed again because the two colors are set in stone for the entirety of the round.
My issue was that I read into it that you'd like all organs to be done this way (lipids, ribosomes, and so on), which is sort of a heavy deal as it would replace an icon with several overlays, and blob is heavy enough as it is. I gotta note that the idea itself is not bad, it lifts all restrictions, but for everything I wouldn't risk it. There's a way we can do it for the nucleus though.
Alright. Having it just be for the nucleus would eliminate the primary issue...

Personally, i've been playing around with it and the colors are just too cool. Technicolor blobs are amazing:

[Image: fba6eaef2f.jpg]

Are you super duper sure that it can't be for all the organs, too? :c look how pretty it is!
UrsulaMejor Wrote:compliments are colors that add up to white. organcolorRGB(x,y,z) is the inverse of blobcolorRGB(a,b,c) where (x,y,z) = (255-a, 255-b, 255-c)

so a blob of color 50, 200, 75 will have organs of color 205, 55, 180

and a black blob of 0,0,0 will have organs of color 255,255,255 aka white
The problem with just inverting the RGB color is that you'll end up with grey (127, 127, 127) if your input is grey (128,128,128). Instead, a better idea might be to rotate the color by 180° (60°, 120°, it doesn't really matter by how much exactly) in HSV and enforce a minimum saturation and value, so any input gets a distinguishable output.
Aaaaaand we're back to square one.

Well, not completely. The iris itself could remain black which would still be visible on a gray blob.

UrsulaMejor Wrote:Are you super duper sure that it can't be for all the organs, too? :c look how pretty it is!
Yes, this would bring several overlays into play for each object. Not fun.
Couple that with the fact that materials alter color so there's actual math involved.
I never thought someone would call MS paint pretty.

No, the gigant eyeball is perfectly visible unless your eyes are invisible aka gone
Isilkor Wrote:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:compliments are colors that add up to white. organcolorRGB(x,y,z) is the inverse of blobcolorRGB(a,b,c) where (x,y,z) = (255-a, 255-b, 255-c)

so a blob of color 50, 200, 75 will have organs of color 205, 55, 180

and a black blob of 0,0,0 will have organs of color 255,255,255 aka white
The problem with just inverting the RGB color is that you'll end up with grey (127, 127, 127) if your input is grey (128,128,128). Instead, a better idea might be to rotate the color by 180° (60°, 120°, it doesn't really matter by how much exactly) in HSV and enforce a minimum saturation and value, so any input gets a distinguishable output.
we discussed this for about half an hour on irc and decided the obvious, easy solution is to automatically decrease the shade by 10 after flipping.

that, or ban shades within 10 of that exact shade of gray. there are literally hundreds of shades of gray. choosing that particular one is an obvious bug exploitation / power gaming choice made deliberately. it's much easier to excuse people for picking black, less so to choose a very specific and esoteric shade of grey
Bumping this. I dunno if it was ever actually implemented, but pretty much every blob ever still picks black because it makes the nucleus harder to spot. If the nucleus, at least, was slightly more noticeable, then maybe we could get something other than a black pudding taking over the station every blob round.
I don't know how horrible this idea would be, but why not limit the colours a blob can choose? Probably not the best way to go about dealing with this problem, but if it's becoming such an important part of blob when it shouldn't be then there should be some type of fix for it.
Since this discussion we've actually gained some additional options regarding colouring. I promise I'll whip something up over the weekend.
I'm just going to leave this here:
What you want is called HSB/HSV
You take the RGB, convert it to HSV, clamp the V to a minimum value, convert it back to RGB and marvel that you now have a certain brightness limit.
I'd strongly oppose making the nucleus some sort of hyper-visible, however, black in particular could do with a bit more contrasting. Perhaps remove black altogether.
Hey yeah can this pretty please be done? I was against a black blob in a recent round and all of its cells looked exactly the same.

https://lambda.sx/BXG.png | My mouse is ON the nucleus. And no, it's not the light, it looked like this before the lights broke as well.