Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make the blob nucleus more visible
We just had a round on 4 where the blob's nucleus was destroyed, only for the thing to carry on going thanks to its second nucleus, shown (or rather not) below.

[Image: xSxbHgB.png]

It was a clever move, props to the blob player, and pretty funny to watch from deadchat, but that's a little bit cheap, no?
I remember when a blob hid its nucleus in the syndie post. Very unfair.
Dabir - have you considered bringing a high powered flashlight?
I don't see how that would help, the issue is that the little eye symbol that is the only indication that that particular spot is the nucleus has been completely covered by that lump of gibs.
You could always just mouse over the blob tiles, though if you're trying to fend the thing off, I can understand your inability to point your mouse in other places. I dunno, it could do with a change but I wouldn't say it's very necessary.
Playing as the blob is hard enough as it is. The nucleus shouldn't be easy to find since it is instant death.
It also shouldn't, at any time, be completely invisible. That blob chased everyone off the station and probably would have done even if they could have seen its second nucleus.
Dabir Wrote:I don't see how that would help, the issue is that the little eye symbol that is the only indication that that particular spot is the nucleus has been completely covered by that lump of gibs.

Would increasing the layer for blob pieces to be above general clutter solve this issue?
Yeah, I reckon so. Looking again, some of the gibs are under it already, which is very weird.
Yes.
It'd also deal with blobs spawning nuclei behind trees (namely in botany for example).
I have issues with people picking black as a blob color and spawning in dark places, when they do this you can't tell which blob pieces are normal and which are vital due to all the blob parts looking solid black. If we could get black removed or somehow have the vital parts stand out a bit more it would be nice.
RE: that blob player, that was me and I was not trying to be clever. The guy I was fighting blew out all of the lights and I placed the nucleus just so that I wouldn't die. I do see your point and the nucleus being slightly more visible would be nice in cases where the blob player picks a color that is very difficult to see differences in. White isn't nearly as bad as black, because even when partially lit it's impossible to tell the difference between a nucleus and a thick membrane or other full square blob tile. Players that do this confuse me, because it's also difficult to keep track of where special tiles have been placed in many cases. How do you know when a mitochondria or ribosome needs to be replaced if you can't see where you placed the darn things five minutes later?
Megapaco Wrote:I have issues with people picking black as a blob color and spawning in dark places, when they do this you can't tell which blob pieces are normal and which are vital due to all the blob parts looking solid black. If we could get black removed or somehow have the vital parts stand out a bit more it would be nice.
how about blob parts be shown in a complimentary color? I.e., black blobs have white organs, blue blobs have orange organs, red blobs have green organs, etc. etc. and vice versa
UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Megapaco Wrote:I have issues with people picking black as a blob color and spawning in dark places, when they do this you can't tell which blob pieces are normal and which are vital due to all the blob parts looking solid black. If we could get black removed or somehow have the vital parts stand out a bit more it would be nice.
how about blob parts be shown in a complimentary color? I.e., black blobs have white organs, blue blobs have orange organs, red blobs have green organs, etc. etc. and vice versa

Sure thing...

...if you actually can code this for me without being literally old paint.

Here's the issue with black.
We could explicitly disallow black as we played with text sizes on the forums. We'd have to account for a lot of shit. Maybe 0,0,128 is still too dark but 64,64,64 works? Do we want to disable half the color range just because of visibility? Should we just throw in a list of preset colors and listen to whining about that? It's not actually that simple to solve this.

Proposed solution: enforce a minimum of 32 in all color components (automatically corrected to this when deploying) and make the nucleus a light source.
Marquesas Wrote:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:

Sure thing...

...if you actually can code this for me without being literally old paint.

Here's the issue with black.
We could explicitly disallow black as we played with text sizes on the forums. We'd have to account for a lot of shit. Maybe 0,0,128 is still too dark but 64,64,64 works? Do we want to disable half the color range just because of visibility? Should we just throw in a list of preset colors and listen to whining about that? It's not actually that simple to solve this.

Proposed solution: enforce a minimum of 32 in all color components (automatically corrected to this when deploying) and make the nucleus a light source.
compliments are colors that add up to white. organcolorRGB(x,y,z) is the inverse of blobcolorRGB(a,b,c) where (x,y,z) = (255-a, 255-b, 255-c)

so a blob of color 50, 200, 75 will have organs of color 205, 55, 180

and a black blob of 0,0,0 will have organs of color 255,255,255 aka white