BaneOfGiygas: HoS Edition
Usual Character Name: Andreas Feithiti as a human. As an AI, my name is Porygon followed by whatever alphanumeric character comes to mind first.
BYOND Username: BaneOfGiygas
Recommended by: TheCheat over on the IRC seemed encouraging, if that counts.
Times Available: 4PM-10PM M/T/Th, 2PM-10PM Wednesday, 2PM-Whenever I go unconscious on Friday, whenever the hell on Saturday, and noon-8PM on Sunday. Times are vague and unspecific due to school and such, but those are the general guidelines.

Reason for Application: Security is a unique job out of all of the available station positions due to their relationship with antagonists. Antagonists are meant to provide interesting and entertaining opposition to station goings-on, while security is meant to provide interesting and entertaining opposition to antagonists and their endeavors. Even though the two forces are pitted against each other, they still enter a strange sort of cooperation in that they both exist to make the job of the other interesting. A security with no antagonists is a bored security, and an antagonist with no security is usually free to curb-stomp the station due to the lack of organized resistance, leading to an empty and hollow victory. In addition to this, security typically serves as a role model to many players of the game, Heads of Security especially. An effective security force inspires awe from their comrades and grudging respect from their enemies, and can make a good round absolutely fantastic. However, the inverse is unfortunately true as well. Due to their pivotal role in the flow of the game, a terrible security team tends to make a round terrible for all those involved. The job of security is to protect the station and it should be their number one priority, yes, but Space Station 13 is still a game and is meant to be played for fun, not to live out your fantasies of dictatorship. In addition to their relationship with antagonists, security is also in charge of general upkeep of the station; this means that non-antagonists can sometimes find themselves in trouble as well. Troublemakers should, of course, not be treated on the same level as antagonists unless they are an equivalent threat to the station, and it is up to the security team to make sure that no greyshirts or particularly rude clowns ruin anyone's game with uncalled-for beatings and other nasty things. As mentioned before, security is not a dictatorship, but they are still in charge of enforcing the rules, and the rules are there to ensure that everyone has a good time playing this 2D spaceman game.

What does this all mean for my application? In spite of my relative newness to the server, I feel that I have a very acute understanding of the relationship between security and antagonists as well as the rules, and like to assist the other members of the station during most of my rounds. Being a helper figure who points new people in the right direction and sets an example for them to follow is effectively the MO of the Head of Security, and when I was first starting out, the HoS was like this unattainable figure that occasionally graces you with his armory access and badass skills to knock some antagonist heads. I've aspired to reach that level of mentorship throughout my time in Space Station 13, so I played the game, learned the game, helped people, applied for mentor, fucked up, applied for mentor again, and have contributed to the community in the form of truckloads of forum posts. As time goes on, I've realized that my preferences have a notable lean towards being an authority figure who assists others rather than the random folks who do their own thing independently of others. Don't get me wrong, I love sowing fear and chaos as an antagonist as much as the next guy, but I usually try to find some way of incorporating the crew instead of being totally separate from the station. The Head of Security is among the most connected to the station events, so becoming one would bring me one step closer to achieving the same authority and level of knowledge I saw in those before me. It would also give me another chance to lead my fellow spaceman in yet another way, as a public figure whose trustworthiness and reputation are always second to none. That is my goal, and so I send this application in the hopes that I am able to reach it.

Security Experience: When I first played on Goonstation, being a security officer absolutely terrified me. I was intimidated by the level of scrutiny that officers faced, and tales of the legendary greytide spooked me out of the job for a while. I played some occasional rounds as a detective and chipped into security discussions, but was ultimately never involved in the thick of crime and its solving, out of fear of severely fucking it up. However, I started easing my way into the position and found out that it actually wasn't as bad as I had previously thought. Sure, you occasionally had to deal with some rambunctious assistants and you got your ass handed to you every now and then, but I didn't let this bother me. Over time, I became more sure of my judgments and was more capable of justifying my actions to those who asked. I'm fair and tolerant, but I'm never afraid to lay down the law if there is law that needs to be laid down. One of my core principles as an officer is the idea of proportionate retribution; the punishment to an antagonist should only be as severe as the damage they have done. This means that the rampaging chainsaw murderer gets shown no respect and is beaten to death or thrown into the gibber without mercy, but the goofball throwing around banana grenades and malevolently twirling his mustache gets a ceremonial stunning followed by a fart to the face, or maybe a dramatic un-mustaching to reveal his "true identity". Of course, the nature of crime is not so black and white, and there are many grey areas that lead to tough decisions, but ultimately, I seek to make decisions that are fair to both parties involved. My level of robustness can probably be qualified as good but not great; I'm notJay Wolff, but I know my way around a firearm and can handle myself competently in a fight. I am also quick to chastise unruly and overly aggressive (or overly passive) security officers, though as pacifically as is possible.

Some experiences relevant to this application are those as an AI or Captain, particularly the former. As a Captain, I tend to serve as an auxiliary to security, particularly in the lack of a Head of Security, but ultimately understand that security isn't my department and that my role is mainly to call the shots and provide some heavier firepower if needed. There's a difference between being security and helping security, and I usually keep my involvement as Captain to the latter instead of the former unless shit's really hit the fan. As for being an AI, it's without a doubt my primary position and one of the jobs I enjoy the most on the station. You see, playing as an effective and fair AI tends to involve the same sort of mutual cooperation with antagonists as security does: you're trying to help the station but you also don't want to be a supercopping no-fun overlord. When you go rogue, the inverse occurs, with you trying to follow your laws but at the same time giving the station a chance to fight back. I actively encourage interaction with the crew as an AI and have the courtesy to keep quiet when someone's uploading a law into my upload, because I know that they might be trying to upload a law that makes the round a helluva lot more interesting, and denying that seems like a very rude thing to do. There are some things beyond my control and I always do what I can to actively fight things that might detract from the round's enjoyment (sneering at assistants who think that Law 2 means I can let them into security never gets old), but at the end of the day, sometimes you get told to do really shitty things and don't have any way around it. However, I always try my best to avoid personal culpability in these instances and make up for it when/if I get reset. When it comes down to it, an AI's job is very similar to that of security: Using special tools available to them to cooperate with the crew and oppose the people who would do the station harm. Like I said before, it might not be totally applicable to this, but I think it's definitely something to consider.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc): The introduction of the brig visitation area actually provides a neat lobby space for folks who want to talk to security, which has the potential to be much better than the open hallway security usually stares out into. With a bit of alterations to make it more open to the front desk area, I think it'll help streamline civilian interaction with security and reduce the likelihood of miscreants barging in and trashing the place. On a similar note, the fact that the normal path of the Secbots/Guardbuddies sometimes goes straight through the front door of Security seems like bad design and invites nothing but trouble every time it happens, so giving them an alternate method of entrance would be vastly preferable. As for the brig itself, a medium must be reached: On the one hand, escape needs to be possible so it's not a permanent stuck-here-forever zone, but it should still feel like a punishment and not be insanely easy to break out of. Right now, the fact that prisoners can break the brig windows by banging on it a few times with their shoes is absolutely ridiculous, so some alternate method of keeping prisoners inside the brig should be implemented. You know those shielded walls with the windows that are in some telesci areas like the Solarium? Maybe make the brig walls something like that so people can still be able to look into the brig while knowing that the prisoner won't be able to break out by slapping the windows with a pen a whole bunch. Making a brig easy to break out of means that you need a security officer there to make sure it doesn't happen, which is a job no one wants. There's a reason why we don't have Wardens like over on /tg/. Giving the officers a PDA message in the event of a prison break might help alleviate this.

Previous Bans: Absolutely none to speak of, unless I got banned in a past life or something.

I'd also like to say that, during the course of this application, I am accepting and actively encouraging specific critiques/comments about your experiences with me. I understand that I probably don't have the level of veteranism (that's a word now) that some other HoS applicants have and therefore might be lacking in the clout department, but if you're going to deny me your vote, knowing why would really help so I know where to improve as a security dude, or just tell me that I need to be a security dude more. Similarly, feel free to tell me what I'm exceeding in so I don't have to worry about it quite as much! Don't hold back, but please be as constructive as possible. I'm mainly just testing the waters, so any feedback is appreciated!
Levelheaded and knowledgeable. Have a hat.
...wait, does the whole thing about not posting in other people's apps when you have an app open for yourself still apply if you post your app after the fact? If it does, I've accidentally fucked that up for the second time in a row. I really need to stop submitting these things godawfully late into the night.
give hat imo, he seems pretty cool ^_^
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:...wait, does the whole thing about not posting in other people's apps when you have an app open for yourself still apply if you post your app after the fact? If it does, I've accidentally fucked that up for the second time in a row. I really need to stop submitting these things godawfully late into the night.

Looking at the times I think it was far enough between your application and the posts in the other applications for me to beat you up over it. You're in the clear at the moment.

:toughguy:
I'd say he needs some kind of rocky esque training montage to become more robust, but I think he's at least at the minimum standard necessary for becoming and HoS. Give him a paper hat.
I was coming in with a no before reading your post, as like you said, I didn't believe you were experienced enough, as i've yet to see you preform much in security. This may very well be due to timezones though.
After reading through your epic of a post, I feel like you do have a grasp of the right and the wrong in security. That and you've been quite pro-active on the forums and contributing significantly to the wiki.
But as others said there's a level of toughness that comes with hos. There's little point in becoming hos if you'll find that your beret is missing 2 minutes into the round because some naked dude out of the cloner has stolen it. Then again, robustness doesn't always mean defeating an opponent on your own. The best of hos' are the ones who know to keep a tight group in sec, and know the power of information.

Basically what it boils down to:
Is this a well written, thoughtful post that highlights what i'd like to see in a hos? Yup
But
Can this well written post translate to their actions as a HoS? That i'm not certain, as i've not seen enough.
So it's not a no, but an encouraging maybe. Play more sec and i'll keep your name in thought.
Quote: but the goofball throwing around banana grenades and malevolently twirling his mustache gets a ceremonial stunning followed by a fart to the face, or maybe a dramatic un-mustaching to reveal his "true identity".

Denied, the very minimum to be expected of an officer is to ensure that any and all fun is destroyed. This is a level of shit security worthy of a ban.

While I do feel you could use a little more experience I'm going to approve. I feel that by the time this application would be approved you'll have gained that experience.
You most definitely have a grasp on the concept of being the HoS.

My one, ONE critique is simply that I haven't personally seen you as sec that frequently, and because of that I have no way of judging your robustness. It's not the penultimate requirement, but it's most certainly important to it. We don't want HoS's getting taken down by some random staff assistant and getting their stuff stolen.

However, on that, I have seen you a few times recently, and I'm pretty sure when I was new I saw you quite frequently but never payed particular attention, and what I have seen isn't bad and I've never seen you be shit. I'm willing to say yes, but you better not turn out to be a scrub.
Last time you posted, I believe I vouched for you then.
You as a HoS? Possibly.
Personally, I don't see you as a sec officer often, but then again I have a really strange schedule.
However, I can vouch for your personality and experience. You were one of the first people to actually introduce me to Goonstation.
On top of that, you taught me about basic medic stuff and ran me through borging.
Possibly needs more experience as sec, but you definitely have the attitude for HoS.
Like others have said you have the right mindset the only issue I see here is that not many people see you around playing security enough. I chalk this up to timezones and what not. From what rounds I vaguely remember playing with you on security are nothing bad and I don't think I ever had a bad encounter with you. At the moment I'm leaving it at a strong maybe. I'll keep a eye out and hopefully we can play a few rounds together so I can see you in action.
You are HoS Material.
beret he, is a good sec man
Y
E
S

(A)
Having played with him I'm going to have to say yes.