Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supervillain serum for geneticist traitors
While geneticist traitors can be very dangerous, it takes a lot of time and setup, or some great luck, to become a threat. As genetics is also a high risk area that is often targeted by other antagonists, you're not always going to live long enough to do anything with your super powers.

This idea is intended to give traitor geneticists a way to get an edge earlier in the round, while still making use of their unique department and genetic abilities:

Super villain serum: You get an implanter that gives you a positive mutation, but also a negative one. Essentially, you're getting a super power, immediately, but you also get a weakness.
This would work best if new mutations were added e.g. You get eye lasers, but are now more vulnerable to fire damage. The mutations in these implanters would also have to be combined as a single mutation, so that you can't just have a mind slave remove your negative mutations.

It would be best if the mutation list it picked from was tiered, so that getting a minor mutation like x-ray vision gives you a minor negative one, something that you could hide or explain to avoid suspicion. A better mutation would have a bigger downside, so hulk might leave you deaf, or turn you into a visibly mutated creature, like a lizard or cockroach, making it obvious what you are.
Alternatively, have a better good mutation give multiple low level bad mutations, as the high end bad ones are so debilitating no one would use the item if it carried that risk.

There could also be some mutations unique to the implanter, similar to unique poisons from poison bottles. If you have a mind slave you could end up with two guys flinging electricity, yet taking burn damage from water (including the janitor's wet floors).

I realise adding new mutations for this would be a lot of work, but even an item that gave you a good and bad mutation from the current ones could still be useful, as long as it's limited to non-lethal mutations. It's TC cost would depend on what mutations it's possible to get.
I kind of like the concept, but just applied differently. I don't think you should get a debuff mutation. Most of them are pretty bad, and even having laser-vision wont help you from having seizures every 5 minutes.

However I think it'd be cool if traitors (maybe genetisist traitors) would get a DNA injector with just a random positive one (maybe one that's not too OP). Then you'd get a super power early like you said, without having to spend 15-20 minutes (or longer) trying to get good super-powers. Have it be pretty costly, though.
Most of the job specific weapons favor rampages. e.g vuvuzela gun, butcher knife, red chainsaw.

A super villain serum would be cool if it worked like superpower stimulants, bunch of crazy powers until the serum wears off and you suddenly become a deaf blind mute.

Alternatively, maybe a pen that draws blood, copies the dna, and the person injected changes into the other person. Basically a identity theft pen you can use to pin crimes on people. Maybe it would need a limited number of uses, but it would be far funnier if you could futurama it and just keep changing identities and injecting people with neurotoxin pretending to be a ling.
Sleepy pen which gives mutation(s) instead of stunning? Reload it using injectors and attack. Maybe worse than the sleepy pen.
Most mutations give a message when you get them, which would undermine a sleepy pen equivalent, though not getting a message about who injected you could be enough to make it viable.

Part of the idea of having tiers of mutations is that not all of them would be rampage oriented; x-ray vision doesn't give you any advantage during a fight, but a way to get the element of surprise on people wandering alone, or a warning that security are chasing after you.

I should have specified that the implanter's description will say what mutation it has in it, just like the ones from the genetics scanners. You wouldn't be gearing up for stealth only to discover you had turned yourself into a berserk hulk.

Alternatively, if I've misunderstood you atomic1fire, and you're saying that you want geneticists to get a rampage item, then making it a super mutation stimulant would be great, but it would need to include immunity to genetic instability...

Huh. If it's decided that immediate mutations aren't an option, and geneticists still have to work for them, then giving traitors an implant or wearable item that negates instability would bring back the possibility of ice flinging psychic antagonists while still preventing regular geneticists from becoming unkillable vigilantes.

I'm guessing it would also be a lot easier to implement than my original idea, as it just involves letting one player go back to the old system, instead of adding a new one.
I was pretty much saying I'm for a genetics rampage item, but it should either be really obvious or come with some limitation.

Maybe a genetics super suit, essentially an item that says "I am a rampaging geneticist with superpowers" by making it really obvious.

Removes instability but has to be worn to prevent meat cubing. you could be a tk xray laser eyes hulk but as soon as someone removes the suit you lose all your stability.

You still have to research a lot of powers, but you don't need to do any stability balancing when the suit is worn.
After reading your comment, I had a better idea: the sleepy pen geneticist version gives you the message ~5-10 seconds after you are hit
atomic1fire Wrote:I was pretty much saying I'm for a genetics rampage item, but it should either be really obvious or come with some limitation.

Maybe a genetics super suit, essentially an item that says "I am a rampaging geneticist with superpowers" by making it really obvious.

Removes instability but has to be worn to prevent meat cubing. you could be a tk xray laser eyes hulk but as soon as someone removes the suit you lose all your stability.

You still have to research a lot of powers, but you don't need to do any stability balancing when the suit is worn.

That would be a much better way of doing what I wanted the implanter to do ie turning you into a cheesy supervillain. Bonus points if you get to pick a villain name with the suit, just like clowns. It would still leave the option of choosing how powerful you want to be, as a traitor might want some negative mutations to ensure losing the suit isn't a death sentence.
You know, I really think there should be a secret/hard to acquire and addictive chem that increases your genetic stability while it's in your system.

If such a thing were around, a traitor geneticist could just get a large batch of it for free.
A large amount of that chemical + injector belt would basically be my suggestion, but you'd eventually run out of stabilizer. My idea is just a super suit to make a geneticist rampage in stability and evil style.
For 8 to 6 telecrystals, you get a box containing the following injectors:
  • 1 Primal Genetics injector. Turns you into a monkey. Unlike standard monkey injectors, this gives you a random monkey name.
  • 1 Minor Disability injector. Gives 10 stability worth of random defects.
  • 1 Moderate Disability injector. Gives 20 stability worth of random defects.
  • 1 Major Disability injector. Gives 30 stability worth of random defects.
  • 3 Superpower injectors. Each gives you 1 Body Type Genetics gene and then random beneficial genes until your stability becomes negative.