Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Radio "Supplementary channel" codes permanent.
Frank_Stein Wrote:
UrsulaMejor Wrote::g for guard, :s for silicon
I like this option best, since :g is already used on command sets and no one has to retrain with :s
I disagree. Security is a more commonly heard word than synthetic. The radio codes should be easy to remember. Dont base it on what you are used to, think about new players. The most comonly heard a: word is AI.
You're thinking about new players, who will have to learn something either way. You should be thinking about returning players and whether or not we will inconvenience them.
It doesn't matter which kind of player it is, new or old.

It wouldn't take 1 week to learn the new permanent codes and for the old codes to be a distant memory.

Some guy joins, what is my job? Security. Oh right yeah my codes :S ..

It couldn't be more simple.
Quote:Some guy joins, what is my job? Detective. Oh right yeah my codes :d

wait, no it isn't

stay closer to what's known. the designations don't all have to make perfect sense and the new guys will be confused no matter what
Jean-Luc_Picard Wrote:I couldn't be more simple.

FTFY v

In all seriousness though, I don't see the reason to completely reorganize what's known. The less a regular has to relearn, the better.
Marquesas Wrote:

FTFY v

In all seriousness though, I don't see the reason to completely reorganize what's known. The less a regular has to relearn, the better.

I guess change can be scary for some. wouldn't want to make things easier for newcomers. gotta keep the cliquishness, right?
I vote adding an emergency channel that everyone has. to help break up the big green wall of radio text a bit.
salix_catus Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:

FTFY v

I guess change can be scary for some. wouldn't want to make things easier for newcomers. gotta keep the cliquishness, right?
things will be equally difficult for newcomers no matter what specific set of letters you use.
Gonna toss my hat in the ring for :s for security. It just makes more sense.
salix_catus Wrote:I vote adding an emergency channel that everyone has. to help break up the big green wall of radio text a bit.
I think this is a good idea too. Maybe not solely for emergencies, but any official request related to jobs, trying to get a hold of someone, etc.

Just as long as it's not used for extended conversation and general bullshit.
Personally, I think robochat sees more use that secchat so I'd prefer it staying the same, although I'll agree the codes are fairly arbitrary and anything works if there's some level of justification for it. I think :h should still default to whichever private channel your job gets access to, though.

As for the emergency channel, I dunno how useful it'd be. Isn't that what the 'message dept/person' option on the PDA is for? It seems if people aren't paying attention to chat, they're not going to pay attention regardless of what colour it is.
Roomba Wrote:As for the emergency channel, I dunno how useful it'd be. Isn't that what the 'message dept/person' option on the PDA is for? It seems if people aren't paying attention to chat, they're not going to pay attention regardless of what colour it is.
True, but not everyone holds onto their PDA and they can be lost from bombers. Plus, it's a lot easier to send out a radio message than it is to PDA message someone. Playing Sec, I know that even if I'm not paying attention to the radio channel completely, seeing red text in my peripheral vision will make me look over. Hopefully, a strictly business/emergency channel would work the same for others.
It's worth mentioning that the colors for the medical/research/command radios are all both rather similar and very dull, muddy colors. Not exactly something that catches the eye very easily. The medical and research colors specifically almost blend right into each other.
Secchat in particular has no reason to be easy for newcomers, because newcomers shouldn't be playing sec. Honestly, I feel it should default to the "Unwanted" column the same way all traitor roles default to disabled.

There's also an especially large cost to changing the meaning of :s, because AIs and borgs have more reason to use their chat and more need to keep their chat secret than sec does. Not everyone reads the changelogs or the start-of-round popup text, and borgs don't have headsets to examine, so changing the silicon channel will inevitably lead to a lot of law violations.
Paineframe Wrote:Secchat in particular has no reason to be easy for newcomers, because newcomers shouldn't be playing sec. Honestly, I feel it should default to the "Unwanted" column the same way all traitor roles default to disabled.

There's also an especially large cost to changing the meaning of :s, because AIs and borgs have more reason to use their chat and more need to keep their chat secret than sec does. Not everyone reads the changelogs or the start-of-round popup text, and borgs don't have headsets to examine, so changing the silicon channel will inevitably lead to a lot of law violations.
Forget what is already in place. Prentend that radios are a new thing. Would you really assign :s to the AI chat? People use the words AI, Cyborg and borg FAR more. Synthetic makes no sense to use when you could use :a and :b. What's even more odd is how security gets :g. if you heard someone shout "guards!" on the radio you'd be confused.... Give security chat :s and AI chat :a.