Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Job Names at beginning of round
or give the HOP a portable title changing device
Its called a labeller.
Is the idea here that you start with a splash menu saying: "Choose Your Title" and some options? Or a renaming thing like the clown/AI? I can see the latter having room for traitor shenanigans, which may or may not be a good idea.

Also how would this affect the crew manifest?
franfoer Wrote:Is the idea here that you start with a splash menu saying: "Choose Your Title" and some options? Or a renaming thing like the clown/AI? I can see the latter having room for traitor shenanigans, which may or may not be a good idea.

Also how would this affect the crew manifest?

There would definitely be a list of options that deviate from the original job title so we don't get something completely whacky where nobody can tell what your original job was.

In regards to the crew manifest, the original job name could be there just for reference.
Sounds like a fun idea, but I don't think we should give the HoP yet another reason to not be at his/her desk.
BruiseCruise Wrote:Sounds like a fun idea, but I don't think we should give the HoP yet another reason to not be at his/her desk.
There's a good reason why HoPs are rarely at their desk. If there's no one coming in and asking for ID changes, there's just about fuck all you can do in your office aside from fiddle with the bank accounts/security records, which doesn't do much and tends to make people angry anyways.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:
BruiseCruise Wrote:Sounds like a fun idea, but I don't think we should give the HoP yet another reason to not be at his/her desk.
There's a good reason why HoPs are rarely at their desk. If there's no one coming in and asking for ID changes, there's just about fuck all you can do in your office aside from fiddle with the bank accounts/security records, which doesn't do much and tends to make people angry anyways.

Ah, right! Let me rephrase a little: I don't think we should remove one of the HoP's responsibilities/jobs, especially when talking to him allows the player in question to change their job name to whatever they please and bypasses this proposed feature. The HoP already has so little to do and putting something in like this removes some player interaction. Sorry about the vagueness!
if people are able to choose a custom title at round start it will be abused and removed a week later; if people are ever able to choose titles at round start, it should indeed be from a fixed drop down list.

also, I'm not so familiar with the skin things gotten from achievements, but this could also be a source of titles for this list, who knows (If i'm saying bullshit due to my ignorance, disregard that, thank you in advance)
I would love to choose a custom jobname on joining, but I agree with splatpope on this. If it were freeform it'd make things a spot more difficult for sec. If it were a choice between titles, it'd kinda defeat the purpose of changing jobnames for me.

I could definitely see it as a medal thing where it's a reward for extreme awesome/idiocy, but I would personally stop using it after a few times unless it changed the ID's look, access, or was really difficult to obtain.

As someone stated earlier, my current job-name change device is a labeler. Works well.
I'd just like to emphasize that this would absolutely NOT be freeform. There would be a set list for each job (or almost each job) that you can choose from that relate to the original but may slight deviate from the original role, such as changing from Medical Doctor (working in Medbay) to Paramedic (running around the station healing dudes).
Maybe give each head a pda app that lets them assign job titles for their department. (would go nicely with the new ability to fit cards into pdas.) woul give the head of department more of an in charge feeling. HoP has an special version of the app that lets them give custom job titles as well as ALL the default ones.