Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unknown Admin, October 2013, LLJK1
Admin name: No idea
Server: LLJK 1
Date/Time: October 2013
Synopsis: So this happened ages and ages ago but I only actually figured out what was going on now. I spent about a year namebanned on LLJK1. I made an appeal, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2285, and was told that I wasn't banned and it was probably some kind of bug. After about a year it apparently magically went away on its own. I figured, hey, it's BYOND, stranger things have happened.

And then today an admin shows me my notes and this is in them:

(DEL) Oct 21 2013 12:09pm | Submitter: #### | Server lljk 1 us | Player Key: dauntasa
Note: Name banned until player learns that name recognition is just e-cred circlejerk bullshit.

Huh.
Since it's awfully quiet I'm going to go ahead and say what's on my mind. v

I'm not okay with this at all.
In terms of me deserving this, I know full well it why it was put in place. I did not play SS13 much at all during late 2013. I may not have played for the entire month of October. I had moved to a different country and was very busy. BUT at around this time I did get into an argument with an admin on SA in which I said that namebanning was stupid.

But to be honest that's not actually the thing I'm complaining about. I'm pretty sure that the person who put this in place is the person I was arguing with, and I haven't seen them around in a very long time, so that's not why I'm actually making this complaint.

I'd like an explanation for why, when I made an appeal, I was told that I wasn't banned and that it was a bug.
Wonkmin Wrote:Two trains of thought here:

1. There is no note on the account for the jobban being applied; normally it would say "jobbanned by NAME" when this has happened AS WELL AS the personal note written by the admin. Perhaps the admins in question thought that there was no ban in place and didn't check the actual panel as there were no notes?
In that case, how was the ban reversed? Surely someone had to have spotted it for that to have happened.

Quote:2. It's been suggested by another admin that I told people to keep it quiet from you. I honestly can't recall this at all. I can't see the two admins that responded to your appeal (drsingh and Gorilla) going along with this willingly, nor this happening without someone else on the admin staff being willing to speak up. Ultimately I can't remember. It's possible; looking at some threads around there your attitude horrifies me. Seems over the top, though.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific and decisive with this. We've looked at IRC logs and all sorts from then and there's just nothing concrete I can point a finger at and go "aha - here's what happened and why".

Fair enough. It has been a long time. But I know at least one of the admins who responded to my appeal is still active. I've seen them around recently. I'd like one of them to weigh in on this, since now that it's been established that the banning admin has left they are the actual subjects of my complaint.
Wonk, I would have thought if it was you you woulda been straight honest about it. Don't think i've seen you cover up/lie about bans before.
Hi, turns out I set the nameban way back when. Also the way it was set was done in a way that most non-developer admins weren't able to see and/or identify, which may have caused some of the issues. I'd forgotten about it when asked because it was like two or three years ago. Sorry for the confusion. Hope this clears things up for you.
Pants Wrote:Hi, turns out I set the nameban way back when. Also the way it was set was done in a way that most non-developer admins weren't able to see and/or identify, which may have caused some of the issues. I'd forgotten about it when asked because it was like two or three years ago. Sorry for the confusion. Hope this clears things up for you.

Thank you for setting things straight. There are some things that I don't quite understand but it's been so long that it really isn't that big a deal, and I don't know if there'd even be any way to figure them out after this much time. I'll consider this closed.
I'm surprised you're letting it go this easily. Far as I can tell on what a nameban actually is, I'd be outraged. Pants is basically dismissing this as a non-issue when you've had the name ban for so long. I'd think a simple 'sorry' wouldn't be good enough. But then I don't know how long it's been since anyone actually logged into LLJK 1.

I know, uh, peanut posting(?) is bad but this is kind of ridiculous.
Valorian Wrote:I'm surprised you're letting it go this easily. Far as I can tell on what a nameban actually is, I'd be outraged. Pants is basically dismissing this as a non-issue when you've had the name ban for so long. I'd think a simple 'sorry' wouldn't be good enough. But then I don't know how long it's been since anyone actually logged into LLJK 1.

It's kinda dumb to try and be offended for other people who clearly aren't upset.
Valorian Wrote:I'm surprised you're letting it go this easily. Far as I can tell on what a nameban actually is, I'd be outraged. Pants is basically dismissing this as a non-issue when you've had the name ban for so long. I'd think a simple 'sorry' wouldn't be good enough. But then I don't know how long it's been since anyone actually logged into LLJK 1.

It's been such a long time and the person responsible is essentially no longer an admin, and now that that's been established I don't really see what continuing to press on this would actually accomplish.
I'm not trying to stir up trouble and I'm not trying to be offended for someone else's sake (wtf?). People always assume the worst of me for some reason. It's just reminiscent of something that happened to me like 5 years ago.

I had gone to Damascus as a US citizen and had a layover at Saudi Arabia. I brought booze for a friend of mine I knew in Damascus. Little did I know that I'd get arrested and thrown into prison even though I was under the limit of carrying alcohol as a foreigner. I got released after a bit with the embassy. a year or so ago, they decided it was high time to send me an apology in the form of a letter and a pass to visit the UAE. I threw it out.

Obviously this is not near the scale and seems like a complete accident, but I really couldn't understand why someone would let that happen and walk it off with good nature. I guess I'm vindictive.

But then I remembered it's a game so who gives a shit. My opinion doesn't matter.
Valorian Wrote:a shovel (for digging)

Since you felt the urge to peanut post and add your completely unneeded worthless 2 cents on a resolved issue and then clutch some pearls to make yourself feel like the victim with a completely unrelated sob story, I feel the urge to peanut post the following:

Fuck you, nobody cares, stop posting.