Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Material science: The Effort post II
..Hopefully keelin will take a gander at this...

I've gone and done a good bit of material research in my procrastination free time, and I've compiled a bunch of (hopefully) solid suggestions that will improve metallurgy and material science as a whole.
As most of ye know, material science has been in WIP for quite a while now, and it's rather a grey area with most people on what does what and if x stuff behaves like y. I've researched every material I could get my hands on (meaning gold and rare stuff like iridium and starstone is not included) and put it in this pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/zKHEmjNh
Some following things to take note, these are observations that I noted when researching it, which goes towards my following suggestions. I'm putting it in a spoiler to manage the amount of room on my post:
-Quality prefix does not effect ore stats whatsoever. A poor quality uqill will be the same stats as a good uqill. It does effect smelting somehow, in that it will "crumble" or turn to goop after smelting but this appears randomly. The quality variable in the stats is dependent on what chemical is applied, but chemical application is bunched..
-Alot of stats are low and cannot be put any higher. For example making some armor to replicate sec armor: uqill/koshmarinite armor (the best combo there is) will have high toughness and reflect-ability but will mediocre bullet damage and shit sheer strength. Currently there's no real way of raising these stats, no matter how much smelting you do.
-Some stats are just done in such a manner that there's no way to actually make a functioning spacesuit, if you read the pastebin link. There's also nothing that gives off luminosity, the most explosive ore (which also is so rare a drop it never appears) erebite will only have about 50% power rating. Other stats are just so obscure that it almost begs to be replaced with something more useful, such as superconductive strength.

So what would be good way of approaching material science? What needs to be done when it gets done? Here's a bunch of suggestions from what I gathered while toying around with it:

1. Remove the Material Recombobulator entirely.
Too much shit has chemistry in it these days and material science has the potential to be unique rather than just being kuru shovels as it once was. I'd rather see more unique ores and smelting properties, than ores effected by chemical know-how. Chemistry should stay in chemistry, and metallurgy should stand out in its own right. Not only that, it would be easier this way, as the amount of chemicals and effects would require so much tweaking and balancing when combined with ores.

2. Fix quality prefix, make items matched with items on the station (technical babble incoming)
Currently smelting takes the average of stats. While this is good in some cases, it can be counter-intuitive in others. Read the paste-bin and you'll realize there's no real functional way of making a spacesuit, or replicating bomb suit armor or replicating a biosuit. The whole idea of metallurgy was that you could, after time, make your own armored spacesuit, but that's not an option with the variables that are currently. Quality prefix variables in ores should vary the desired quality of the ore.
For example, uqill which stands out with in toughness, should also stand out in sheer (explosive) strength. The range of this should vary between 70-100% toughness and 40-70% sheer strength, dependently entirely on the quality of the ore. That said there should be an ore with 100% sheer strength (better explosive resistance than industrial armor) but with shit stats that you'll have to balance out with the appropriate smelting ratios.
While, koshmarinite, that stands out reflectibilty (of laser projectiles) and tensile strength (bladed damage) should vary the same.
This way, you could smelt both ores, and continue smelting to get the right ratio for an armor that suits you. Currently it's somewhat like this, but the percentages are far too low, and there's no variation in them. An armor that you spent 20 minutes on should match if not be better than the standard sec armor.

3. More ores! New stats!
Some stats are ... meh. Some ores are .. meh. Viscirite and char just tends to clog up the ore satchel.
First off, make erebite drop. I don't know if the % rate of it dropping is very low, but after 2 hours of mining unless I was exceptionally unfortunate, I still dont see it.
Secondly make cytine come in various colors. See the post below to see why.
New ores could have funky new effects and add in stats in other ores.

ORE: Honetite [SPRITE PENDING] is a honeycomb ore that is has luminosity (no ores have luminosity, even though it's a stat). It's a precious ore that will sell well to the right trader (bzz), has stats similar to cytine, but is otherwise treasured for the fact that it glows. Other ores that could have luminosity are erebite and cerenkite, but honetite is more deserable for the fact that it is neither explosive nor radioactive. It will glow white, unless smelted with a different ore.

STAT: Acuteness. How sharp the ore is, or can become if manufactured.

STAT: Weight. Simply the weight of the ore. Could be used to balance out stuff, such as an armor which is significantly robust may also be quite heavy causing the player to walk slower.

STAT: Electrical Capacity. How much energy it can store. This has obvious effects.

ORE: Predesteel Chunk [SPRITE PENDING]. Material used by the forerunners, this silvery metal unnervingly floats. It is a rare ore drop. Its an anti-gravity material, having negative weight. Could be used to combat weight issues. If the weight stat is in negative, wearing negative weight armor will cause the player to float akin to a revenent, meaning the player can move quite fast.

STAT: Radiological protection. How much radioactiveness it protects. An armor with high tensile and this stat could resist a radbow to the chest. Armor with high radioactivity and this stat could walk around radiating everyone without repercussion to themselves.

4. Add in a new machine to replace the recombobulator: An electroplater [SPRITE PENDING]
The electroplater basically makes use of ores that gives a desirable look, but without the stats of an ore, and also you get more out of the desirable ore.
For example, adding in gold into the electroplater, and then dipping in uqill armor will create gold-plated uqill armor. The armor will have the properties of uqill, but be shiny like gold. With the above suggestion you can do this with cytine, making various different colored armors, or make a red cytine+gold+honetite smelted ore to make a shiny armor that glows red. The ore that is used to plate can get x amount of uses, meaning that you can make various plated objects from the one ore (a nod to real life electroplating)

crossarms
I made a thread earlier about traitor items based around using material science, like chem grenades rely on chemistry. I was told this would have to wait for material science to be finalised, so I'm very much in favour of these ideas.
Especially removing the material recombobulator, I'd rather have smelting as a separate thing too.
I should also say that material science would also help diversify pod loadouts and pave the way for custom-made fighters with a whole bunch of special properties. Uqill-armored pods for maximum defenses, viscerite-armored pods for the laughs, erebite-armored pods for an alternative (or addition to) the S.E.E.D...
There's still a bunch of weird things with parts of the station not having a material type set. Cutting grills and rwalls will give you a null material rod, and when you lift up a floor tile (which is steel by default) and plant it back down, you've instantly darkened the area. While that's great for making a repaired area look obviously distinct, maybe steel's colour should be lightened to the default wall/floor/material colour, and everything that's already "made" of it should have that material flag set?
Anticheese Wrote:There's still a bunch of weird things with parts of the station not having a material type set. Cutting grills and rwalls will give you a null material rod, and when you lift up a floor tile (which is steel by default) and plant it back down, you've instantly darkened the area. While that's great for making a repaired area look obviously distinct, maybe steel's colour should be lightened to the default wall/floor/material colour, and everything that's already "made" of it should have that material flag set?
Yeah, that bugs me how mauxite seems to be the default metal but doesn't match.
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Anticheese Wrote:There's still a bunch of weird things with parts of the station not having a material type set. Cutting grills and rwalls will give you a null material rod, and when you lift up a floor tile (which is steel by default) and plant it back down, you've instantly darkened the area. While that's great for making a repaired area look obviously distinct, maybe steel's colour should be lightened to the default wall/floor/material colour, and everything that's already "made" of it should have that material flag set?
Yeah, that bugs me how mauxite seems to be the default metal but doesn't match.

I'm glad to see that this bothers other people besides me.
I don't know how i missed this thread until now.

I agree with some of the stuff you mentioned.
Problem right now is that everyone wants the material stuff to conform to their vision of it.
I tried to make everyone happy for a while but it's not possible.
I, too, would also rather not tie chemistry into this. It's too much trouble unfortunately.

Ore quality was meant as a means to provide the overall quality for a resulting item - not the stats of the ore.
I do like the idea of having ore quality determine the stat ranges of the ore though. Will have to take a second look at that.
The ore stats in general are not even close to final. That is neither the values nor the range of different stats we have.

The recombobulator will probably continue to exist in the form of a pure research computer.

Anyhow, I'll see what i can do and i appreciate the feedback - i'm just not sure how to solve this all yet.

Edit: If you have links to other material related stuff you want me to read just drop the stuff in here.

I'm not entirely sure why mauxite was moved to steel. Looking into it, it seems mauxite and steel are two complete separate entities (as when you load them up into a general manufacturer, mauxite and steel are seperate) but to produce metal sheets, it'll default to steel. So everything on the station is mauxite, and you can only make steel due to some weird coding.
Not only are the items of a darker color, but as you said light behaves oddly around it, as if it "blocks" light. Then after a while, the light will "turn on" on the tile, but only to about 80% or so. It's odd, and it bugs me too.
Keelin Wrote:I don't know how i missed this thread until now.

Problem right now is that everyone wants the material stuff to conform to their vision of it.
I, too, would also rather not tie chemistry into this. It's too much trouble unfortunately.

Ore quality was meant as a means to provide the overall quality for a resulting item - not the stats of the ore.
I do like the idea of having ore quality determine the stat ranges of the ore though. Will have to take a second look at that.
The ore stats in general are not even close to final. That is neither the values nor the range of different stats we have.

The recombobulator will probably continue to exist in the form of a pure research computer.

Anyhow, I'll see what i can do and i appreciate the feedback - i'm just not sure how to solve this all yet.

Edit: If you have links to other material related stuff you want me to read just drop the stuff in here.

hmm, well there's not really much else I can add that I haven't already said. My vision of material science is very open ended, I don't really have a vision as such other than I would like it to stand out to be a separate science not influenced by any other science. Some may argue that this is goes against cross-departmental research (something that should be encouraged) but it's more than I suppose i'm a bit tired of chemistry having a monopoly on stuff. I'd rather see material science effecting each department rather than each department effecting material science, if you catch my drift.
I think it would would stand out better this way, it would pave the way for more stuff in the workbench. What could help each department with improved metallurgy, and how? Higher capacity this, more resistant that, better strength this, etc.

Another ideal (but perhaps unrealistic?) approach would be to have all items on the station be made out of some material which can be scanned. That doesn't mean replace all existing items with stuff like "mauxite/steel fire extinguisher", having a material prefix on every item would be over the top. Leave items exactly the way they are. But items should be able to be scanned by a material scanner to spit out info on what the general stats of that item is. For example, a fire extinguisher would be made of mauxite (although it wont state this on the scan) but will state all the mauxite variables. Other scans may surprise a player. A scan of a jumpsuit would find it would have the same stats of cloth, but a scan of shoes would find that its stats are between rubber and cloth. A scan of an e-sword may spit some crazy results out.
But why?
Two reasons:
1. It'd be super interesting and add a new dimension to things
and
2. It'd act as a compass when people are making their own items through metallurgy and looming. For example you may have the appropriate materials for making a spacesuit, but you're not sure how and to what ratio. Scanning an existing spacesuit would tell you what variables would be good, and how you could make your spacesuit better (for example reducing the weight)
Sundance Wrote:
Keelin Wrote:I don't know how i missed this thread until now.

hmm, well there's not really much else I can add that I haven't already said. My vision of material science is very open ended, I don't really have a vision as such other than I would like it to stand out to be a separate science not influenced by any other science. Some may argue that this is goes against cross-departmental research (something that should be encouraged) but it's more than I suppose i'm a bit tired of chemistry having a monopoly on stuff. I'd rather see material science effecting each department rather than each department effecting material science, if you catch my drift.
I think it would would stand out better this way, it would pave the way for more stuff in the workbench. What could help each department with improved metallurgy, and how? Higher capacity this, more resistant that, better strength this, etc.

Another ideal (but perhaps unrealistic?) approach would be to have all items on the station be made out of some material which can be scanned. That doesn't mean replace all existing items with stuff like "mauxite/steel fire extinguisher", having a material prefix on every item would be over the top. Leave items exactly the way they are. But items should be able to be scanned by a material scanner to spit out info on what the general stats of that item is. For example, a fire extinguisher would be made of mauxite (although it wont state this on the scan) but will state all the mauxite variables. Other scans may surprise a player. A scan of a jumpsuit would find it would have the same stats of cloth, but a scan of shoes would find that its stats are between rubber and cloth. A scan of an e-sword may spit some crazy results out.
But why?
Two reasons:
1. It'd be super interesting and add a new dimension to things
and
2. It'd act as a compass when people are making their own items through metallurgy and looming. For example you may have the appropriate materials for making a spacesuit, but you're not sure how and to what ratio. Scanning an existing spacesuit would tell you what variables would be good, and how you could make your spacesuit better (for example reducing the weight)
On a related note, every item should have material values and chemical values. For example, I want to be able to break down a toolbox into either mauxite material or iron chemical.
Hey keelin been messing around with the materials system update, here's some stray observations as I was working with it:

1. Quality now varies the stats of a material. But my issue is the max values are not consistent whatsoever.
For example, you have two pieces of rock of the same material but different quality, in this example we'll say Awful Bohrum and Great Bohrum.
You'd think the max toughness value for both ores would be 100 (or whatever the max value is), and ores would just have different base toughness.
But no, the max toughness is different on both ores. Awful would have 32/67 toughness and Great would have 50/120 toughness. So the max values means absolutely nothing. It should be 32/100 and 50/100 instead. Currently it's rather difficult to know if the ore you got is actually any good.

2. Following that, the quality stat is rather funky. You might getting magnificent clarentine and the quality variant would read: 40%. I've rarely seen ores of above 65% quality. Ores often dip below 0 too, being negative qualities. Be uniform with the quality system. Rank it between 0 (being shit) to 100 (being perfect).

3. Ore quality also depends on asteroid quality, which I think is bad. This means, you pull in an asteroid, only to find that the entire asteroid is of shit quality ore. Then you have to wait because of the cooldown, and hope the next asteroid you pull in is not of shit quality (which it often is). This is frustrating.
Instead, completely randomise the quality var on drop. For example 1 asteroid containing like 30 pieces of mauxite should have ores ranging from shit to perfect quality, instead of all shit or all perfect quality. This would mean miners could set aside great quality ores for smelting, and use the poorer quality ores for selling or using in a fabricator.

4. The material research computer looks very promising as does the scanner. I have my own thoughts on what could go into it, but i'll keep that to myself until this project is more complete.