Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimmick Job idea: Psychologist.
I got this idea learning about rorschach tests.

Basically a doctor (maybe with chemistry access cause drugs) who has a deck of "rorschach cards" and can show people them to determine (e.g makeup as you go along) their personality and mental disorders.

Same idea as tarrot cards but with a medical setting.

Bonus would be if the medical bay had a private practice type area with shutters, so you can claim people are either sociopaths, are obsessed with chickens, or have brain cancer all round and every round.

Might be a bit too arpee, but compared to baystation's job I think it would be a role with room for funny.

tl;dr get people to say dumb things while looking at cards and prescribe them LSD. Claim they miss their mom.
[Image: 300x169-139042159_10.jpg]
Only if we get his glasses.
Also only if there is a change in the effects of LSD. the current LSD needs to be relabeled Datura. And then make the new LSD have trippy effects but also lets you see cloakers and other hidden stuff. and if you get hurt shit gets scary and you have a bad trip.
If you want drug prescriptions, I think you want a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist.
BabaYaga Wrote:If you want drug prescriptions, I think you want a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist.
Actually, I'm pretty sure psychologists are allowed to prescribe drugs as well as psychiatrists, it's just that psychiatrists tend to be more specifically related to the medicinal side of therapy than psychologists, who are typically geared towards counseling and such.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:
BabaYaga Wrote:If you want drug prescriptions, I think you want a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist.
Actually, I'm pretty sure psychologists are allowed to prescribe drugs as well as psychiatrists, it's just that psychiatrists tend to be more specifically related to the medicinal side of therapy than psychologists, who are typically geared towards counseling and such.

It's just that a psychologist is a PhD while a psychiatrist is an MD, so I figured the right to give prescriptions would go to the guy who went to medical school. I could be wrong though.

However I feel a psychiatrist fits better with the medbay setting, making him a medical doctor, albeit specialized, among medical doctors.
Lets face facts guys, spacemen need someone to talk to about all the horrible traumas they endure.
BabaYaga Wrote:
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:

It's just that a psychologist is a PhD while a psychiatrist is an MD, so I figured the right to give prescriptions would go to the guy who went to medical school. I could be wrong though.

However I feel a psychiatrist fits better with the medbay setting, making him a medical doctor, albeit specialized, among medical doctors.
I seem to recall hearing that it's literally the exact same psychological training, but psychiatrists have additional medical training on top of it. Also, I was technically incorrect. Psychologists cannot actually perscribe medicine themselves, but what they can do is send reccommendations to perscribe medicine, which might as well be the same thing.
Vunterslaush Wrote:Lets face facts guys, spacemen need someone to talk to about all the horrible traumas they endure.

We have confession booths and a chaplain. crossarms
Anticheese Wrote:
Vunterslaush Wrote:Lets face facts guys, spacemen need someone to talk to about all the horrible traumas they endure.

A Pope culture icon.

Still put psychologists in though.
If anything, add the rorschach cards to the MD's office.

Also a prescription pad, similar to the ticket system.

"You've been diagnosed with sass mouth. Here's a prescription for 5 slaps across the face."
thehman03 Wrote:
Anticheese Wrote:

A Pope culture icon.

Still put psychologists in though.

Clearly the chaplain should have a psychologist sweater and glasses.
Crew Objective: Get murdered by a crewmember wearing a welding mask
Reward: Skeptic badge
[quote="Vunterslaush"]Lets face facts guys, spacemen need someone to talk to about all the horrible traumas they endure.[/quote

I've made crewmembers psychiatrists/ombudsmen before for precisely this reason, and it usually results in fun. Psychiatrists saying that 'ling sightings are signs of schizophrenia, demanding traitors are released for medical treatment, etc.