Allura's Head of Security application
Usual Character Name: Clare Quilty (mostly as security officer) or Puddle Jones (exclusively as detective)
BYOND Username: Allura
Recommended by (if applicable): TheHman03
Times Available: Weekdays 2 PM - 12 AM, Weekends 10 AM - 12 AM

Reason for Application (300 word minimum): To put it simply, I've been around on Goonstation for a little more than 3 years now. For the first two and a half years I was unreasonably inactive because I liked to hop between several servers weekly, although my go-to job has always been security. I never felt like I was really "worthy" of the job because I was scared that, as someone who rarely played, I really didn't know what it meant to be security. About four months ago I really began to try and make a difference, playing exclusively Goonstation, and I've been stuck here since. Today, after joining a round as security and realizing that I basically had a routine for a round playing as security, I thought maybe I should apply for the beret.

Something that I admire about the HoS position is that it usually evokes a strong sense of maturity from players who normally enjoy goofing around. Whenever I begin a round as security and see the HoS in their office, I feel like they're an actual authority around the department. Usually both I and other officers seem to go out of our way to make sure the HoS feels proud of us and isn't in a bad mood. They're the truest leader of the entire station, because you want to listen to them and do what they say. Any regular security officer probably wants to command this authority, it's just that being around a skilled HoS makes you think that you might not be ready yet. Now I feel like I'm ready.

Simply because of how much more important you are and the fact that you can sometimes determine the outcome of a round makes this job attractive to me. Were I to be the Head of Security, I would be given an actual job on the station that I can't decide I want to quit randomly, and that job is making sure people are having fun. Coming to finally feel that I am ready to help my department both have fun and remain in line, making sure that everyone ELSE is having fun? I think that makes me more than deserving of the job.

Security Experience (300 word minimum): I've spent loads of rounds as security, both here and on other servers. Playing as security offers a learning experience as you adjust your playstyle to go out of the way to maintain a station, not structurally, but culturally (for lack of a better word? aheh). I've spent many, many rounds defending a station with my co workers over the silliest things and I've enjoyed every last one of those occasions.

I've enjoyed it so much because I feel like I understand the strategy to the job: not being so individualistic as most other jobs would demand but focusing on teamwork and communication. Being sure that you have a squad of competent, flatulent friends that will eliminate threats (or, instead, slap them upside the head and make them a more fun threat for everyone to enjoy) to keep people having fun.

A good trait that I exhibit, one I've observed from many other amazing officers and heads of security, is that I don't go out of my way to end the round of a traitor or someone playing mean-hearted pranks as a miscreant/non-traitor. Instead I like to offer different, humorous punishments that both entertain me and the person who is being "punished". Why would I space the cryo-grenade tossing clown when I can make him box with me, or have a fun rap battle? Loser gets brigged for a couple minutes, of course. This is a mindset that I think definitely shines in the best heads of security, and I'm glad to have learned about it and practice it.

Of course, with the time I've spent playing as security, I've gotten one of the most important traits, and that's that I am a good player, for the most part. I think I can handle most combat oriented situations fairly well and I can keep it together, not letting my anger get the best of me. Being a good player means that I have a higher understanding of what a nice round or a nice security force is, and that's one that demands one thing from you: to have a whole lot of fun. Does that make me a softie? I don't think so, because if you decide you want to keep other people from enjoying the game, you'll take a long walk outside the station thinking of what you've done.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc): Something that's great about our security is that it, like most of the station, is built around silly accidents. It may be weak and not entire structurally sound, but that's nothing but a good thing. Security is a great place for fun to happen, and though a large part of that is the action of players, the genius of the layout makes sure that you won't have any issues come the need to perform a dashing escapade with your friends.

The biggest flaws are things like the fact that you can't get your ship back into the security hangar, the department is totally tucked away and hardly exposed to maintenance for various break ins, and the hilariously easy to enter armory.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): Nothing I know about, unless I was banned years ago. I don't think I've been job banned either, and I've never been admin PM'd unless I was asking a question.
quiltyquilty Wrote:Recommended by (if applicable): TheHman03
Cackling Aloud With Gusto

You did get through the whole app without mentioning tg station so I guess that's something
Jerkops Wrote:
quiltyquilty Wrote:Recommended by (if applicable): TheHman03
Cackling Aloud With Gusto
The fuck does that matter, anyways, quilty seems like a pretty good person for the job.
thehman03 Wrote:The fuck does that matter
That is a good question, you're right, it doesn't matter. Please ignore my post, sorry for shitting in your thread quiltyquilty. Best of luck in your app.

I am not qualified to give input since I haven't seen much of you in-game.
Jerkops Wrote:
thehman03 Wrote:The fuck does that matter
That is a good question, you're right, it doesn't matter. Please ignore my post, sorry for shitting in your thread quiltyquilty. Best of luck in your app.

I am not qualified to give input since I haven't seen much of you in-game.
Don't worry at all. I understand my behavior in IRC tends to be a very annoying or grating one, and my understanding of that is exactly why I try to avoid being bad in game. If you're around now, I'll be playing soon so maybe you'll see me! Thanks.
You seem like a decent person from your forum activity and your application, but I either haven't seen you at all in-game or you just haven't stood out in my brain from the wave of spacemen. Consequentially, my vote is a noncommittal shrug until/unless I get more evidence to work off of.
From my personal experience, I have to say absolutely not for HoS. A large majority of the time if I see you sign up for sec you go braindead shortly afterwards when someone refuses to race pods with you, that is if you even leave the arrival shuttle. Also you seem to hold some bizarre grudges and generally have an obnoxious or poor attitude to a lot of people.
Fresh Lemon Wrote:From my personal experience, I have to say absolutely not for HoS. A large majority of the time if I see you sign up for sec you go braindead shortly afterwards when someone refuses to race pods with you, that is if you even leave the arrival shuttle. Also you seem to hold some bizarre grudges and generally have an obnoxious or poor attitude to a lot of people.

I have to agree the last two times I saw you as security today you killed yourself within a short time of spawning. That and I hardly see you around and hardly see you as security.
Ed Venture Wrote:
Fresh Lemon Wrote:From my personal experience, I have to say absolutely not for HoS. A large majority of the time if I see you sign up for sec you go braindead shortly afterwards when someone refuses to race pods with you, that is if you even leave the arrival shuttle. Also you seem to hold some bizarre grudges and generally have an obnoxious or poor attitude to a lot of people.

I have to agree the last two times I saw you as security today you killed yourself within a short time of spawning. That and I hardly see you around and hardly see you as security.
i played security today and i "comitted suicide" as in, killed myself and immediately healed myself just to see if i could do it. other than that i played normal rounds.
I'm gonna have to agree with Lemon ad Ed on this one. I have only ever seen you sign up on server one and go braindead, or get angry at people for not doing whatever you wanted to do. Look at that guy puke
I observered you play two rounds as security under HoS Elder Butt Muffin, and you did nothing almost the entire around, both times. crossarms

It wasn't braindead off doing IRL stuff, you were just sort of faffin' about in security chatting here and there.

Because you don't really do anything as security, not even being a doorman,which is so god damn useful, I'd have to say no.
Well since it's obvious this app is in the can, everyone can take the time, before this is closed, to give me your criticisms. I'd like to improve as security if I'm not as good as I thought I was.
quiltyquilty Wrote:Well since it's obvious this app is in the can, everyone can take the time, before this is closed, to give me your criticisms. I'd like to improve as security if I'm not as good as I thought I was.

You seem plenty nice from what I've seen. I've been holding up on posting here because every time I see you spawn in the lobby I hope to see how you play sec and you never really do much. Therefore the only criticism I can give at the moment is that you need to get up and do stuff more often, which is what everyone has been telling you.

cgrn10 Wrote:HoS Elder Butt

QQ
I see Clare play Sec a lot but I have never seen her actually do anything Sec-related other than arresting people who are interfering with whatever gimmick she's doing.
I knew that I had a problem being in sec often, but I didn't know people thought I did gimmicks. Could you please elaborate? I've never intentionally tried to do one.
Additionally, I'd like to know who thought I had a grudge on them. If I have ever seemed to have one against you, I'm sorry, and I didn't mean to.