Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revamp spy 2015 thread
Okay i going to start out by saying that i LOVED the idea of spy, A spy master's getting a group of elite spy-nerds and them waging a spy-war by using stealth and sneakery to find out who's the other spy masters are. The problem is that this NEVER happens. The spy's just mindslave people and proceed to hunt down and kill everyone they see, This in turned resulted in spy being shut down for being shit.

Now i thought of a way to make spy 100% better while still keeping the original theme of sneaking and stuff

Round start-

2-4 spy masters are spawned on the station.They start with 1 mindslave implant and a special Device/Pda feature. This pda has 3 or so features to it

Features-
1-The ability to request missions, completing these missions will give you points to spend in the shop
2-The shop, contains useful Items and tools containing toward your mission
Shop items-A random traitor tool
Mindslave implants
First letter of a Spy masters name
A special Headset that contains a unique FREQ for that spy team
3-The ablity to see what missions the other spys are working on

Now number 3 is what makes this unique, By using number 3 you can have one mindslave snoop around and see if anyone is completing those objective and then he can report to you who is potentally a spy

Now i bet your asking yourself what is stopping them from rampaging and killing everyone? Well The syndicate want to find out who is the best spy and not the best murder so they set a condition if they kill a civilian the other spy's get a random letter of their name

How the round ends

The round ends when either there is one spy left OR the shuttle is called and arrives. If the shuttle passes the point of no return the spy's will be instantly alerted of who the other spy's are for one more fight to the death
You know what I think would be interesting for spy mode? Something where there were multiple spy teams, and every single person belonged to one at round start, but they don't know who is on their team. Maybe give certain people goals to help them find one team member, and then pool what they know to find the rest.

Round ends when one team remains.
Frank_Stein Wrote:You know what I think would be interesting for spy mode? Something where there were multiple spy teams, and every single person belonged to one at round start, but they don't know who is on their team. Maybe give certain people goals to help them find one team member, and then pool what they know to find the rest.

Round ends when one team remains.
People would just rampage. If you are the last person alive, you are the last team alive.
My own personal suggestions: Spies don't get kill objectives, or actually lose points from high casualties.

The only time they actually get points from killing is if they've killed another spy leader and maybe a little bit for mindslaves. Ergo they can chose to kill somebody but they better hope they were right.

Maybe completing objectives gives them clues as to the identity of a fellow spy leader, so they get a few really good murders they have to plan out, while trying to avoid getting caught because they don't want to kill anyone else.

Target's name is D**k J****c*
I wasn't around during Spy mode's heyday, but the main issue with it was that is basically turned into a station-wide deathmatch due to any stealthy recon work phasing out in favor of "blast/stab everyone not on your team" strategies. Spy needs to have more of a focus on spying and less on out-and-out murder in order to be successful.

Therefore, I think that Spymasters should not have murdergear specific to them like the dagger. If the point of being a spy is to outfox and befuddle your opponents, giving them a slightly-scaled-down butcher knife is completely counterintuitive. If they want to rampage, they're going to need to outsmart the people storing the weapons (security, QM, captain) to get there.
Spies are often depicted as well-trained agents capable of doing ridiculous shit. So how about in return for not getting any special gear, spies are given the ability to do things regular crewmembers can't with tools available on the station along with a few passive perks? These could include..

Being able to switch power cells in energy guns on the go.

Starting with the function of each door wire in their notes, because spies do a lot of breaking in.

Tossing knives for moderate bleeding damage (no stun)

Becoming invisible to right clicks when inside bushes.

Being able to flip over tables without the wrestling belt.

Being able to see one square further in the dark.

Greater chance of landing devastating punches.

Resisting out of handcuffs faster.

With a very well timed flip the spy can dodge a projectile, which will float through when it would normally hit. The timing is intended to be hard enough to make it impractical, but in turn you look really cool pulling it off. Now you can be just like that guy from the computer place.

Flipping over people without a grab, spies sure do a lot of flips.

Throw a stun baton, there's a 50% chance it stuns whoever's hit by it, otherwise it just bounces off of them.

The ability to catch thrown weapons the same way you would catch regular thrown objects.

Shortening fuses on grenades, making them detonate as soon as they're primed.

Welding the barrels of firearms shut. This can be noticed by examination. Attempting to fire a weapon in this state will cause it to explode similar to a zip gun.

Creating zip guns that do not run the risk of exploding.

The idea focuses on giving the spy a whole lot of nifty little tricks. So please do post any abilities you might think of.
Bologna Prime Wrote:snip
This kind of stuff is exactly what I was thinking of. This would give Spymasters the ability to MacGyver their way to victory while still retaining a few useful perks in order for them to stand a chance against security/other Spymasters. However, now that I think about it, the ability to passively pull off all of this stuff might make the Spymaster much more easily detectable because holy shit that guy just Matrix'd away from a taser shot. Maybe giving it some sort of toggle so you can assume a "civilian" identity and don't have to worry about your sweet automatic weapon-catching abilities giving you away would help.
A spy clicking on someone with the grab intent while holding a wire in their primary hand should execute a cool looking choke move, which doesn't leave any prints but involves quickly wrapping the wire around the target's neck. Of course there should be a risk of the wire snapping after prolonged use so it's not over done. Also you could accidentally click someone doing this in public, accidentally revealing you're a spy.

thrown sharp objects should have an chance of embedding, like TG. Removing them causes bleeding, leaving them in causes brute damage over time and stunned movement. Use this with glass shards for a quick distraction.

Spies can use bottles with fabric to make Molotov cocktails. Of course unless you have an actual plan throwing a giant red flag that you're a spy at someone is a terrible idea. Of course you could fill all the nearby fire extinguishers with welding fluid in advanced. That would work really well as a distraction.

Grabbing someone and using *snap results in an instant neck snap, Forensics will show corpses with snapped necks. someone with a broken neck can't be over snapped, and snapping should be just loud enough that you don't want to do it in public or near people.

Accessing the centcom terminal in bridge gives you access to "secret files", which are instantly printed out. These contain anything from a secret recipe for cupcakes, to badly drawn rendition of the death star plans. This is a bonus objective entirely designed to be stupid, risky, and funny.
I'm going to be blunt here.

I'd rather have rev back than fiddle with spy.
Marquesas Wrote:I'm going to be blunt here.

I'd rather have rev back than fiddle with spy.

I can see why seeing how the player destroyed the good image of spy by being rampaging dicks every round.

If we make it so spy's have objectives to do to unlock clues and mindslave implants and a way for other spy's to see what objectives they have PLUS knowing that killing civilians punishes you in the fact that part of your name is revealed can make it so that less people rampage. (Plus they don't start with two really good murder items and a pda full of traitor shit they can buy for free)
The hesitance to mess with spy mode is definitely understandable given its reputation, but I definitely think it's possible to work into a functioning game mode, it just takes a shift in focus from mass murder to actual spying. Of course, I think that was what spy mode was originally trying to do in the first place, so I dunno. My lack of personal experience with spy mode isn't doing me very many favors, here.
there never were any mechanics implemented to allow actual spying though. I think I managed to figure out a spy through PDA packet sniffing once. that was it. otherwise it's just nothing happening until a rampage starts.
My only memory of spy is of starting as a miner, when it was still a separate, off station thing. Another miner mindslaved the entire department before I even got to a mining locker, and the round immediately descended into chaos. The multiple use, infinite mindslave never made any sense for what was supposed to be a stealthy traitor. If spies were brought back, it would need to be a completely different game mode, as the old one just seemed like a variation on rev/gang, with no stealth at all.

I like the idea of a new traitor type, with special training instead of unique equipment. No instant kills though, giving them powerful murder methods that can't be disarmed would be even worse than the syndie dagger. Starting with notes on which wire does what in doors would be cool. Maybe start spies with things like the chameleon jumpsuit and voice changer, and give them an objective similar to the do no harm one doctor's can get.

Alternatively, just add that as a possible traitor objective to encourage regular traitors to use all the stealth items they have. This might just lead to even more traitors ignoring their objectives though.
Spies with free permanent mindslave implants should never, ever be a thing. Each new permanent mindslave is basically an extra traitor, with all the chaos that implies.
the biggest issue with spy and the thing that made it "rev but with 6 teams" was the fact that every spymaster got 5 permanent implants. That means that in any given round there were on the order of 25 people with a license to kill. That's a recipe for chaos and rampages, even if you take the rampage items out of the PDA. What happened every round, basically, was that for the first 10-20 minutes the spies would build a team, and then the teams would deathmatch.

Here's my suggestion: If the spymaster wants permanent mindslaves he can buy for 6 crystals like everyone else. What he gets for free is a kind of Manchurian Candidate stealth brainwashing thing.

Let's disguise it as a pen, because I'm lazy and can't think of anything else right now. So you click on the pen and you get to set 2 things: 1 is an item or codephrase that will activate the implant later, and 2 is an action that you want the implantee to perform. Then you go poke someone with it. Nothing happens to them until they see the item or get the codephrase. When they are activated they become a mindslave for 5-10 minutes with the only goal of completing the action they were programmed to. You can't give them more orders, they are only a mindslave to performing their preprogrammed action. And while you could program them to "follow every order Joe Schmoe gives you" then they know who you are and when the very short duration of the implant wears off they will be shouting your name to the whole station.

also there should be limited charges on it I guess but if you're unfortunate you should be able to have multiple spies brainwash you and then activate you for different things at the same time because it would be funny

I think this would lend itself more to Spy Vs. Spy type fuckery rather than "get 5 buddies, give them lasers and shoot every motherfucker you see"