Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Help Rick Gibbed not be deaf' fund
Hey!

So if you remember a while back, Dr.Cogwerks ran into some home troubles. The community managed to all come together and give him a helping hand to get back on his feet, and it was really awesome!

I just heard today that Rick's (host of all the LLJK servers) hearing aids recently broke. He's unable to get new ones in a reasonable timeframe, which is a real shitty situation to be in. I suggested maybe he should set up a page for donations.

Apart from the occasional donation, Rick has been hosting goonstation out of pocket since April 2008. He's supported us for 7 years straight, no questions asked. I'll just repost what he posted on his gofundme page:

http://www.gofundme.com/rc8gwg

Quote:Hello, I'm Rick. You might also know me by the alias gibbed.

I've had borderline severe/profound hearing loss since birth, and have been wearing hearing aids since.

The pair of hearing aids I was using up until just recently have stopped working. Due to their age, it's not likely I will be able to find any way to get them repaired for a reasonable cost. The hearing aids I were using were made available to me in 2001, for nearly 15 years they functioned very well, which is surprising, since most will tell you that hearing aids have an average life expectancy of 5 years.

Unfortunately, I am currently self-employed as an independant contractor, and do not make nearly enough money to pay for new hearing aids out of pocket within a reasonable timeframe.

Hearing aids are expensive, and the severity of hearing loss that I have does not allow me to consider many lower-end models of hearing aids. I've recently discussed with an audiologist my options, and I am looking easily at around minimum $1,000 per hearing aid that will help with my hearing. This would be for the absolute bare essentials that could work.

Sadly, I applied through CareCredit for $2,100 and was declined. This doesn't leave me with many options.

I'm hoping to raise funding for new hearing aids, and appreciate any help that you can offer.

While $2,100 is the bare minimum I would need, this is paying for hearing aids that are essentially what I was wearing 20 years ago. With $3,800 I would be able to pay for more modern hearing aids, which would be much more beneficial in the long run.

Please give if you can guys, every little bit helps!
In absence of money, I will instead give Rick both my deepest sympathies and also a really big damn signal boost. I've had ear problems on and off for a really long time, it isn't fun. I'll pass this around to some of my more financially available friends in the hopes that they'll toss something over!
I donated.

The amount of money raised so far is really amazing.
Goal reached in 11 hours! that's impressive!
Whoa, he is often in a stream I frequent and I never really realized it was the same Gibbed. Neat. Grats on the successful campaign
The super goal has been accomplished in 11 days, thank you to all who donated.
That's amazing guys, great job!