HoS Application - Michael Laneous
Usual Character Name: Michael Laneous
BYOND Username: Michaellaneous
Recommended by (if applicable): TheHman3, two others which name I just forgot
Times Available: Usually european afternoons and nights

Reason for Application:
<cogwerks> you seem to be a chill guard
(I am just quoting this here since cogs actually gave me the courage to finally apply.)

I always noticed that security was a job that can be pretty gruesome to a lot of people; you don't get a lot of praise for your work, have to do the dirty things, and a lot of people hate you for simply doing your job. I decided that I would set myself a little challenge and actually try to improve that by actually doing the job in the most brutally reasonable matter possible.

At first at had my doubts. While I am not completely unrobust, I am able to defend myself. But seeing that sec can actually work together if someone asks for it in the command channel, and actually most of the others player help if they see a guard being knocked out made me appreciate that teamwork quite a lot.

Which actually brings me to the main reason I want to apply - the HoS and your beret are quite the impression on the other guards, and it is a lot easier to group them together and make them quite the capable fighting force. Whenever I see the HoS at least I try to listen to what he has to say, stick around him for a bit (not only to envy that sexy beret of his).

In the end I am not wizard. I will probably not be able to make security a better place in the matter of a few rounds - nor will I be able to improve the public opinion of the redshirts that much. But I sure as hell can try, and do my best every round. I enjoy talking to people, and I also enjoy solving those little issues that are not just murder and death. Walk around, ask if everything is okay, see if there are any small problems that I could solve with some authority.

It also saddens me a bit that forensic analysis is a bit underrated. While yes, that is the Detectives job, it helped me out a few times straight up revealing traitors and locking them safe and secure in the brig.

So yes, overall this is why I want to become HoS:
  • Improve the public opinion of security
  • Try to get sec work together as a team
  • Make sure that redshirts actually help solve the petty crimes of life as well

Security Experience:
I decided to put security officer on my standard roles and it has been working out pretty great. I know my way around brig, know the little kinks of the place. I can use the different kind of cells to their advantage. In my opinion, capturing and locking up people alive is much more satisfying than killing them. Searching them for contrabands, putting them in evidence boxes and then locking them away is quite the joy - and makes sure that I can always defend myself if someone calls me shitty security again for "randomly" locking up people.

I know how to use the tools that are presented to security to my advantage. If I can not be robust at least I can use those to help me a lot. I used flash-bangs to great success if necessary, and the tasergun is always my last resort weapon in my backpack in case someone steals my baton.

On a few occasions I managed to sniff out traitors by using fingerprints on obvious things like the captains ID lying in HoPs office with the bridge being emagged. Not sure what the traitor thought would happen, but he probably did not except someone actually checking fingerprints.

As mentioned above, my main job is not always to go out and try to find any traitor or other antagonist and capture them. I walk around the station, ask people if they are doing okay, and managed to actually disengage a few situations that could maybe have led to much worse.

Overall I enjoy playing security quite a lot now. I had a lot of positive response from people - after the round, even when I locked them up. My experience is maybe still a bit lacking in playtime, but the fact that I have been doing so great lately kinda make me looking positively at the features. Besides, playing AI and observing how security is doing generally is helping as well.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):
Cells: The fact that people can simply break glass and grills with their handcuffs is something that always gives me headaches. While it does not happen often, especially people who think they are wrongfully imprisoned tend to cause a lot of damage.

Tools: Security needs to get some latex gloves, or otherwise. Finding my own fingerprints on stuff does not help all that much. And while it never happened, it would be nice to keep in serious in the sense of forensic integrity.

Healthcare: I think for what security has to do, the medical supplies are a bit sparse. A single medkit is not enough. While I understand that the medical department needs some jobs as well, it would be nice to see a bit more stuff to heal ourselves and captured people with.

Segway: I am not sure why they even exist, other than to cause chaos and confusion by people who are not security.

Entry: The entry-hall is kinda cramped, and some sort of lockdown ability would be nice. If not that, a double door system would be neat.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): Nope

Final words: It would be nice if I could become HoS. If it does not work now, I would just play some more as sec and gather experience to make it work. Thanks.
I can't recall you ever playing security, but you have a well written app and I like you're moxie. Go ahead and beret him. cooler than being cool
Never seen you as sec, sorry, and a well written app doesn't warrant an automatic pass from me.
Well I did play a round with you recently where I was the Head of Security. You seemed to walk around with your baton out and lost three of them. And you kept asking if you could kill prisoners.

Not a great first impression, though I'll keep an eye out for you.
Conor12 Wrote:And you kept asking if you could kill prisoners.

My apologies, but I will have to withdraw my previous statement at this time. I had no idea that you were this inexperienced. I certainly won't make this mistake again.
Conor12 Wrote:Well I did play a round with you recently where I was the Head of Security. You seemed to walk around with your baton out and lost three of them. And you kept asking if you could kill prisoners.

Not a great first impression, though I'll keep an eye out for you.

Okay, in my defense. I did not walk around with my baton around. I had it out because a few people got assaulted by the guy. I locked him up, he destroyed the prison, locked him up again, and so on.
And I did not really intend to kill anyone. I should not have said it.
I realized this app was put out too soon, I am sorry for that. I would like to withdraw it until people can form a solid opinion.
That prisoner sure did cause you a lot of trouble. But hey, you were actually using your security headset to keep everyone informed.

Ali0en Wrote:A well written app doesn't warrant an automatic pass from me.

Yes, personal experiences with applicants are far more useful than judgements based on the application itself!

Michaellaneous Wrote:I realized this app was put out too soon, I am sorry for that. I would like to withdraw it until people can form a solid opinion.

Alright.