Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Buff the chemicompiler
(10-29-2018, 03:56 AM)aft2001 Wrote: In particular, I think the biggest thing that needs to be added if the CC were to be buffed would be an internal reagent synthesizer/finite (but very large) repository for the base chemicals (Probably excluding welding fuel). The handheld version of course would have a very limited amount of reagents it could synthesize before running out and requiring a refill from somewhere, maybe deep space?

The thing is utterly useless, as it's so much faster and easier to just make the stuff by hand in a chemical dispenser. It's 10x harder to use than any other piece of equipment in chemistry, and yet it's a lot less useful. Even if it were buffed to have an internal synthesizer, it would still take a lot of effort to make programs for it, so your average pubby wouldn't be able to make hellchems with it (they'd just use the bar's chem dispenser, anyways). The CC would probably just help make the complex medicines that chemists can't be bothered to make since they're making hellchems, like atropine and salbutamol ((salbutamol is seriously underused by the way, if you have an IV drip of it you just don't need to breathe anymore, and it has no downsides to it)).
i agree with the idea that the stationary chemicompiler should have a large pool of basic reagents (not infinite maybe, instead have 3-400 and use a refill cartridge you can order from QM maybe) and each reagent should have a number value. (1-30? idk how many basic reagents there are)
the handheld compiler should probably have no internal synthesiser, since its portable!

i dont agree with the idea for a faster transfer rate, though. ive messed around with making loads of critters with the compiler before, and it happens plenty fast and doesnt need a buff. 

and i think that you should maybe be able to set the heat rate, since my main gripe with the compiler is that heating does take forever! maybe allow it to either automatically move on to the next step when a heat/cooling reaction takes place, or add a seperate criterea for the temperature heating rate as well as the temperature target?
Maybe it could use an adapter hose that links up to a chemdispenser, preventing its use while connected, but allowing the chemicompiler to draw reagents as needed. Maybe even let it use chem groups, as it could be really useful to have it work more as an automatic beaker mixer than its current use as a reaction spammer.

Would be great to sacrifice one of the chemdispensers to make an automated salb manufacturer. Or a nitroglycerin plant.
(08-06-2016, 02:48 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: The problem comes from them being so Copy&Paste-able. It'd eventually wind up where you slap in a few beakers of the missing reagents, paste in a code some dude gave you, and bam -- as much -insert bad chem- as you want. No learning or practice involved.

@Vitatroll: We have that now and it didn't break the world, you fuckwit. :downs:

Internal access to base chems is fine. Faster heating and cooling is fine. Fast transfer a no. Foams, smokes, and explosions should be nullified on the non-traitor version.

I'd like to see the CC promoted from useless nerd gizmo to slow but reliable chem factory.
further idea: feed the CC with punch-cards.

With it would be a small box with a few important chems punched in, like salb, atro, etc- and a few blanks.

Blanks can be filled in the same way as the current CC interface, except you could, say, fill one out with a code you know/wrote, hand it to a chemist, and that chemist can use your card as needed for the round. The cards would be write-only, as far as the interface is concerned, so you can keep your cool brainfuck code secret but let someone use it.

Also would let you swap out one set of code for another and go back again.
I like that and it gives an excuse to make hole punchers as items that can be found in office supply lockers
thatd be really cool actually, i love the idea of the "this technology is reliable so why spend money to upgrade it lol"
A summary of listed ideas so far that people seem to agree on (This is for the sake of any coders who are looking through this thread but don't wanna read EVERY post)

Things to be changed in order from highest to lowest necessity:difficulty-in-implementing ratio:
  • Internal access to a reagent repository (limited quantity, <1000 units of each chem, or synthesizing <2000 units of various chems)
  • OR the ability to disable a Chem Dispenser so it can supply the CC directly without manually transferring beakers of reagents
  • Faster heating/cooling rates (Perhaps targeting values of 1000 or 0 respectively and completing the step when the desired temperature is reached)
  • Explosions/smoke/foam not having any effect if detonated in the non-traitor CC
  • Having write-only instructions that can be inserted into the CC but cannot be read by players, only used or created, to limit the copying of one's hard work and to allow for pre-made instructions for a few chems, such as salbutamol or atropine. 
Things to not be changed:
  • Transfer rate of chemicals
  • The ability to create and use custom programs
  • Instructions being coded in Brainfuck
  • Having 10 slots in the CC which require beakers to be used

Further notes:

If an internal reagent synthesizer/repository was added and not connecting to a chem dispenser, then being able to refill it would be nice.

Personally, I think that CC programs should be treated like Secret Chem recipes. If you know one, great! Have fun! But, DO NOT SHARE IT, and DO NOT ASK FOR THEM.