Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
give the telelab teleporter a cooldown
a bunch of people have figured out how to make a dwaine script that instantly teleports people places by quickly teleporting twice. this is getting run into the ground and is generally unfun for everyone except the guy doing it. just put a 3 second cool down on it or something.
while normally I am all for preventing shit that could be considered unfair, getting killed by this script requires standing still for long enough for it to work. It can also be countered by either taking out the power in telescience or simply cutting the AI cameras. Both can be achieved with basic tools, no fancy rare counters are needed. Dwaine is rarely used enough as it is, some cool scripts existing shouldn't be taken away.
Dr_Bee Wrote:while normally I am all for preventing shit that could be considered unfair, getting killed by this script requires standing still for long enough for it to work. It can also be countered by either taking out the power in telescience or simply cutting the AI cameras. Both can be achieved with basic tools, no fancy rare counters are needed. Dwaine is rarely used enough as it is, some cool scripts existing shouldn't be taken away.
This put all of the points I'm trying to make into a nice and concise statement. The situations in which these scripts can be used to lethal effect rely on a lot of factors such as antagonist cooperation and the antagonist in question being able to both run the telesci tests for you (since the AI can't view GPS readouts) and get you into an SU on DWAINE. Furthermore, these sorts of things are almost always perpetrated by the AI, who has a nice and immobile base of operations you can raid. Foiling the plan is as simple as being able to reach the terminal for long enough to hit the "restart" button.
hipBEE Wrote:a bunch of people have figured out how to make a dwaine script that instantly teleports people places by quickly teleporting twice. this is getting run into the ground and is generally unfun for everyone except the guy doing it. just put a 3 second cool down on it or something.
there already is a telelab cooldown but I think using DWAINE bypasses it. I think the cooldown actually just stops you from using the console so if you're not using the console it doesn't trigger.

if you made it actually apply to the pad that'd probbly fix this, assuming it is actually such a problem considering that it doesn't really seem any more effective than just starting a plasma fire on the telepad and teleporting people into it
Also I don't get why people treat Telescience like the giant fuck you hand coming down from the heavens to smite you when you can completely foil any intrepid telescience dork by wearing magboots or moving occasionally
Honestly, I don't like the fact that the AI can do a click in an external tool and get the coordinates of anyone.
Marquesas Wrote:Honestly, I don't like the fact that the AI can do a click in an external tool and get the coordinates of anyone.

Yep. Fuck this noise.
hipBEE Wrote:a bunch of people have figured out how to make a dwaine script that instantly teleports people places by quickly teleporting twice. this is getting run into the ground and is generally unfun for everyone except the guy doing it. just put a 3 second cool down on it or something.
Are you sure they're actually being teleported twice? I vaguely recall someone revealing a single teleman command that did this; maybe it's just time for that command to be nerfed.
Yep, it's the relay command in telesci. As far as I'm aware, relays already have a cooldown, it's just that there isn't a cooldown between the two teleports. If you want to add a cooldown there, you might as well axe the command entirely.
It's easily avoidable if you are moving, wearing a space suit, or wearing magboots, all which counter the effect(which you'll be doing if you're taking down the AI.)
Putting a cooldown on it is also pointless because it won't stop a nefarious AI.
Telescience is one of the few tools the (competent)AI has left to being able to actually fight back, rogue or not.
Hacking dwaine is required and isn't exactly well known knowledge and as long as it stays that way it won't be a problem, and it's as easy as disabling the mainframe to stop it.
I normally just trap people on the telepad using canisters, so a cooldown wouldnt really make a difference