Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combine chem dispenser and reagent extractor
Both machines should be combined and the Chemicals should be limited to a certain starting amount that could be user refilled.(or bought with money ~ different chems have different prices) All objects should have inherant reagent values. Like metal and things made from it should have iron and other metal reagents in them. Glass and glass things should have silicon in them. Gases can be extracted from containers It would create a thing where people do chemistry by first melting down objects and extracting chemicals from them. It would make chemistry a lot more interesting and balanced. It would also make botany so much more valuable. Botany would still have a plain reagent extractor though. The scientists would still have the edge when it comes to making chems as the chem dispenser would create individual resevoirs of any chem you put into it. Basically botanists have a good source of reagents and scientists have the good technology to quickly make chems
salix_catus Wrote:Chemicals should be limited to a certain starting amount that could be user refilled.(or bought with money ~ different chems have different prices)
Um. No.

Removing the infinite storage of chemicals basically neuters any room for experimentation, which is kind of half of the entire point of the chemlab. This wouldn't make chemistry interesting and balanced, it would make it tense and frustrating.

Extracting chemicals out of minerals and such is a bit cool, though redundant in the case of things like iron and silicon.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:
salix_catus Wrote:Chemicals should be limited to a certain starting amount that could be user refilled.(or bought with money ~ different chems have different prices)
Um. No.

Removing the infinite storage of chemicals basically neuters any room for experimentation, which is kind of half of the entire point of the chemlab. This wouldn't make chemistry interesting and balanced, it would make it tense and frustrating.

Extracting chemicals out of minerals and such is a bit cool, though redundant in the case of things like iron and silicon.
Limited starting chemicals. You'd be able to add an infinate amount of chemicals to that starting amount. By buying them or extracting them from objects. Most chemicals would have easy to obtain sources anyhow. it'd literally be a case of taking 5 mins to gather the materials and then you're set. Each object would have a lot of reagent in them. For example 1 sheet of metal would give you a hell of a lot of iron. Oh! Here's the best part. The Chemicals you make can be stored in the chem dispenser.
Hmm actually i'm probably not going to get anywhere with this idea if it includes limiting unlimited chems.
In that case.
Upgrade the reagent extractor to store chems like a chem dispenser.
I'm not really seeing why this needs to be a thing. Aside from 'they're both chemistry related' neither of those two machines really have all that much to do with each other and I'm not sure what combining them would do except save you a couple seconds of walking. The reagent extractor already has a hefty internal reservoir so I'm not sure what your idea of 'storing chems' is.

About the only thing I wish the extractor could do is isolate/remove chems but that's about it.
salix_catus Wrote:
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:
Um. No.

Limited starting chemicals. You'd be able to add an infinate amount of chemicals to that starting amount. By buying them or extracting them from objects. Most chemicals would have easy to obtain sources anyhow. it'd literally be a case of taking 5 mins to gather the materials and then you're set. Each object would have a lot of reagent in them. For example 1 sheet of metal would give you a hell of a lot of iron. Oh! Here's the best part. The Chemicals you make can be stored in the chem dispenser.
For the record, I understand what you're saying, and my point still stands. A lot of scientists already have to run around the station to fetch some of the more obscure ingredients, but compounding that with adding a requirement to fetch BASIC shit without any adequately explained reason as to why doesn't strike me as a good idea.
Yeah, I take this idea back, It was supposed to only be about the reagent extractor but i got carried away.
Here are the two real ideas:
  • Expanded Reagent extractor.
    Being able to put something into the reagent extractor
    which would then be filtered into individual reservoirs per chemical,
    would make botanical chemistry so much less annoying.
    would also make it a lot nicer to get chemicals from ??? pills and vending machine food.
  • Making almost all objects extractable.
Being able to split chemical mixtures by chemical instead of having to isolate just one and lose all of the other ones would be a rather nice convenience, yes.

As for extract-able objects, I also approve of this because it gives more room for hobo chemistry (i.e. Chemistry performed without use of the chemlab or any contents therein, relying solely on vending machine junk/food/floorpills/etc.) which I always love doing.
chempiler that could dispense chemicals would be the kind of broken I'd like to have