Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antag type: Hardmode traitor
Traitor sans telecrystals. Appears in mixed, traitor, and possibly a new gamemode featuring nothing but hardmode traitors. Costs less "antag budget" than other antag types, if that's a thing, so there will be more of them.

Good things: Encourages more creative and devious playstyles. Possibly leaves the station more functional than normal, allowing continuation of gimmicks rather than turning all effort into survival in a shattered, burnt-out metal husk.

Potentially bad things: Everybody piles into toxin/chemistry to make bombs. More adminhelps generated when people wonder if their killer was actually an antag without any obvious traitor gear.

I think it would be fun. You learn to set your sights a little lower, maybe just do your job unbelievably badly rather than try to kill the whole station. Or aim for the stars!
I am not against this.
I like this. I—and you're free to disagree with me—have always viewed the "load up on sabers/guns/whatever and start shooting everyone in sight" method as a bit of a cop-out as far as traitor strategy is concerned, and I always love facing off against the more devious and underhanded types.
Why not call these guys traitors and the ones with equipment (undercover) syndicate agents?
salix_catus Wrote:Why not call these guys traitors and the ones with equipment (undercover) syndicate agents?
Because "syndicate agents" are typically the name given to the redsuits who try exploding nukes or something. It's not their technical name, sure, but when someone shouts "SYNDIES" you're gonna know exactly what they're talking about.

Maybe something a bit more mundane. Anarchists? Rapscallions? Disgruntled employees?
Miscreants.
Sounds like it would be a good thing to mix up rounds.
A related idea could be to have a shifting number of traitors in a traitor round, with telecrystals portioned out accordingly.

i.e. 1-3 traitors get 12 tcs each, 4-6 get 9, 6-8 have 6, 8-10 have 3 (would you want more than 10 in a round?). Possibly with a way to transfer telecrystals between agents if people want to pool together for a better item. In some ways it involves more subtlety, but also encourages cautiously testing crew members to see if they're mutineers too.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:
salix_catus Wrote:Why not call these guys traitors and the ones with equipment (undercover) syndicate agents?
Because "syndicate agents" are typically the name given to the redsuits who try exploding nukes or something. It's not their technical name, sure, but when someone shouts "SYNDIES" you're gonna know exactly what they're talking about.

Maybe something a bit more mundane. Anarchists? Rapscallions? Disgruntled employees?
Psychopath? Mafia? Sleeper Agent?
Hard mode traitor becomes the new traitor.

Traitor with telecrystals becomes infiltrator.
Why don't we just make miscreants the hardmode traitor? Just lower the number of miscreants a round can have and add a clause of don't make big holes in station.
Nah. Miscreants have their own place.
Miscreants are not antagonists and get no additional leeway for their actions over any normal crew member. Any normal non-antag crewmember may also attempt miscreant goals regardless of whether they are actually a miscreant as well.

They're just suggestions representing the breadth of stupidity you're allowed to willfully pursue.

Giving miscreants actual antag status with the nebulous "don't fuck things up too badly" stipulation opens up a whole can of worms about how much is too much. Is antag-miscreant Woodrow Thrillson allowed to robust the shit out of the entire crew one by one, or does he have a head limit? Plasma fires - maybe? Is the one human module and ensuing borg revolution kosher?

Just let miscreants continue to be what they are.
Oh cool, a game mode where you play as your average staff assistant v
Personally I think the rounds right now are a little unbalanced in the traitors favor.
12 telecrystal traitors, 4-5 on a ~30 crew if I recall the scales correctly. That can be quite chaotic to the station, even if 1-2 of those traitors are robust.

I think including this would certainly mix thing up a bit. Substitute 1 hardmode traitor for another vanilla traitor in a ratio of 1:3

So in a ~30 player round, you could have 2-4 12 tc vanilla traitors and 1-2 hardmode traitors.

Yes.

Call them Insurgents or Dissident. Just another synonym for rebel, but sounds cooler.