Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How come AI's lost VOX?
Upon further consideration, I think I'm starting to agree with Sundance. Too much of a good thing can be bad, and too much VOX will probably end up being bad.

I wouldn't disagree with the idea of mechanics-operated text-to-speech components though, a la Microsoft Sam. To be perfectly honest, what with sound synthesizers, I was surprised when I found out it wasn't already a thing.
Ed Venture Wrote:I feel like a player controlled VOX would get run into the ground very fast. Regardless of any restrictions
this is what they said about announcements, and we were all pleasantly surprised. I think this merits at least a chance
I was not against announcements because there was a easy way to tell the difference between admin announcements and player announcements. With VOX that's going to be alittle harder to do. Even with a time restriction on it there will be alot of people who will watch the timer and say whatever they want whenever they get the chance. Don't tell me this won't get annoying whenever it happens. Sure people will get job banned for it but it will still happen
UrsulaMejor Wrote:I think this merits at least a chance

Ai had VOX before and lost it for a very good reason.

Sundance Wrote:This this this.

Time to piss all over the Vox brigade.
I dunno about AI Vox. Vox is funny, and tbh the admins can actually use it in such a manner (barring that round when SOMEONE C&P "shit" into it too many times and the round had to be restarted) that's funny and not tiring. When I hear vox, I think admin. And honestly I prefer it this way. I dont want clown johnson every round, just like I don't want macho mann every round. It's less about "my immersion" and more about whether something goes stale or not. And this would make vox very stale. And that would make me sad because i love vox.

What would be cool though is a mechanic based system that spits out vox noises. This would mean you'd have to know a bit of programming, the crew could play with it, as could the AI. It would be a reward for people who do a bit of work, kind of like the paint machine, but maybe not as buttshit hard.

Pretty much what sundance said on the matter is how I feel about it.
Ed Venture Wrote:Ai had VOX before and lost it for a very good reason.
What, because they said Johnson and it's only for admins to be gimmicky with?

I just don't understand how all the other server branches can have VOX and everything is fine there with it, but here it's inherently impossible.
That's my two cents on it. I'm not here to argue and I'm not here to say who is wrong and who is right. We've went down this road before and I think history would repeat itself. Of course I could be wrong, though I hope we all can see the pros and cons to having a player controlled VOX.
The two biggest pros is that if VOX is used right it can turn out to be loads of fun and it gives Ai another toy to play with. The two biggest cons is that there would be no way to tell the admin VOX over a Player VOX and that some people would be super annoying with it and abuse it to the point to where it becomes stale.

Ali0en Wrote:What, because they said Johnson and it's only for admins to be gimmicky with?

For the record I never insinuated any of that. If I recall right it was removed because people would say one statement and have it repeat over and over again for a long while. Course that could be fixed with restrictions but as I said above I feel like it would still get old fast, let alone annoying. These are valid points just don't shoot them down and say their wrong cause you really want something in the game. This is a discussion so we should be pointing out the pros and cons with each other and voicing our concerns as well. We should not be attacking each others opinions.
Naba talked about recording alternate vox sounds if Haine/whoever were okay with adding them. I'm sure someone would be willing to sit there and record new vocals for every VOX word, or perhaps a limited subset of words (sans the words uguu and haine and marquesas, for example) so that AIs could have a distinctive Vox voice which is clearly not the admins.

This would help curb abuse, as it will be readily apparent when the AI is speaking versus when the Admins are speaking.

And, to be frank, the playerbase has matured a bit since the time Vox was removed, as weird as that sounds. If people are bad with it, just ban them from playing AI.
I've said it before (even in this thread) and I'll say it again:

To EASILY distinguish between Admin VOX and AI VOX, simply make the AI's VOX send a huge red line in chat that CLEALRLY indicates that it's the AI using its VOX.

"IBM Piece of Shit activates its intergrated voice synthesizer and makes an announcement!"

Add to that a 2 minutes cooldown, a maximum word count of 15-20 words, AND GIVE THE CREW THE ABILITY TO TURN THE VOX OFF VIA A CONSOLE/COMPUTER/SWITCH IF THE AI IS BEING A GIGANTIC NOISE BEAST.

The things I've stated above are more or less already present on a -very- large amount of popular servers and it works just fine.
By word count I mean the maximum amount of words you can make the VOX say per lines of text you input, of course.
You two have changed me opinion on the matter. I do think it merits a chance now.

UrsulaMejor Wrote:the playerbase has matured a bit since the time Vox was removed

Your right it has.

I've been thinking on it since last night and I do think the pros outweigh the cons. That and I think the AI needs more toys to play with. If admins are up to recording new voices for it then it may be awhile before we see it, But I look forward to seeing a test run of a player controlled VOX in the future.
We could also pitch-shift the AI vox to be either helium-esque hilarity or deep and broody.

Edit: This doesn't require any mass-re-recording of lines which is never going to happen with the sheer amount of effort + words required.
Wire Wrote:Edit: This doesn't require any mass-re-recording of lines which is never going to happen with the sheer amount of effort + words required.
I heard this was already something that might be planned for a later date anyways, so it just seemed like a neat way to incorporate it into the suggestion
Could we maybe also have a VOX-mute button? I personally find VOX in general to be one of the more obnoxious station noises when I'm running around with the sound on. It's also less terrible overall if abusable sounds can be effectively ignored.
Jean-Luc_Picard Wrote:having the ai's Vox have an added BING BONG at the start, like at an airport before the speaker starts talking.

as long as the vox is completely unintelligible afterwards, just like at the airport.

Besides, no good admin vox ever starts with anything other than WOOP WOOP (even ones congratulating you for blob-clearing using welding fuel explosions) so you can distinguish them that way big grin
Played a round today, and AI got VOX.
Immeadiatly blew it by spamming the fuck out of stupid shit.
AI did not have VOX anymore.

I think this examply timely explains why VOX has been removed.