Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How come AI's lost VOX?
People said the same thing about bridge announcements and they're fine.
Ali0en Wrote:People said the same thing about bridge announcements and they're fine.
The difference here is that it's very easy to tell a bridge announcement apart from a full-blown command report.

This would not be the case with AI vox; it'd be indistinguishable from admin vox. There's no simple way of separating these two things in a fun way.
As a result I'm not a fan of the idea.
Spy_Guy Wrote:
Ali0en Wrote:People said the same thing about bridge announcements and they're fine.
The difference here is that it's very easy to tell a bridge announcement apart from a full-blown command report.

This would not be the case with AI vox; it'd be indistinguishable from admin vox. There's no simple way of separating these two things in a fun way.

What about allowing the AI to use something like the bridge announcement computer, except on a longer cooldown and built into the AI's commands?
I'm not sure about the amount of work, but it could be possible to allow the AI to create a vox message that both produces a similar announcement that comes from the bridge computer (with the vox words) and then also produces the message verbally. Dunno how "unfun" that would be though.

This ^

Haine Wrote:After a bit more discussion Spy and I've now moved to the negative side of "maybe", so don't hold your breath on either of us adding it atm

A point that was brought up in-game by Grayshift and that SpyGuy agreed with was that players would probably mistake the AI vox for an admin telling them to do stuff.

What I propose is that everytime the AI sends a message through VOX, it sends a large red announcement in chat saying something along the lines of " The AI activates its integrated voice synthesizer to make an announcement" or something along those lines just so that everyone will be able to tell AIs and Admins apart.

Besides, if the AI vox has these limitations implemented, I doubt that it will be abused (or at least much less than you silly badmins abuse it Smug) :

1)2 min cooldown.
2)A decent word count limit (perhaps 15 or 20)
3)An actual switch somewhere on the station that allows the crew to enable/disable it.

We already punish bad AIs by uploading limiting laws (or worse) when they are being dumb with other things:

Why would it be any different with the VOX ?
Forget limits or whatever, just make VOX a module the crew has to install and can remove at any time. Somehow make it require another human somehow, no shell or cyborg shenanigans. Good AIs will get it, bad AIs won't, terrible AIs will get warned and then banned from AI, same as anything else.

Considering the failure of pretty much everything anyone ever made that required at least two people to cooperate for ten seconds I think this would be plenty.
magic mountain Wrote:Forget limits or whatever, just make VOX a module the crew has to install and can remove at any time. Somehow make it require another human somehow, no shell or cyborg shenanigans. Good AIs will get it, bad AIs won't, terrible AIs will get warned and then banned from AI, same as anything else.

Considering the failure of pretty much everything anyone ever made that required at least two people to cooperate for ten seconds I think this would be plenty.
I like this plan. VOX isn't really a thing the AI explicitly NEEDS to function; it's just a fun little thing that's nice to have but is in no way required.

Also, this means that traitors can subvert the AI and discreetly upload VOX to spook the crew with scary messages, and I like that.
Maybe have two versions of vox, one slightly higher pitched, one slightly lower. Admins get one, people making a vox computer get one. not sure which way round. would admins have higher or lower voices?
salix_catus Wrote:Maybe have two versions of vox, one slightly higher pitched, one slightly lower. Admins get one, people making a vox computer get one. not sure which way round. would admins have higher or lower voices?
Admins would have the ominous, lower-pitched VOX, obviously.
Here's an idea. What if

LISTEN

What if we made Haine do the VO lines for AI vox?
Ali0en Wrote:Here's an idea. What if

LISTEN

What if we made Haine do the VO lines for AI vox?

No, i require naba's tones or it's not truly vox.
it requires*
Spy_Guy Wrote:This would not be the case with AI vox; it'd be indistinguishable from admin vox. There's no simple way of separating these two things in a fun way.
yeah but nobody uses admin vox for anything but dumb shit anyway

i've literally never seen an admin announcement come down except through OOC or Command Reports. VOX is just shit about radioactive clown johnsons, admin or no.
Dauntasa Wrote:
Spy_Guy Wrote:This would not be the case with AI vox; it'd be indistinguishable from admin vox. There's no simple way of separating these two things in a fun way.

i've literally never seen an admin announcement come down except through OOC or Command Reports. VOX is just shit about radioactive clown johnsons, admin or no.

This this this.

Time to piss all over the Vox brigade.
I dunno about AI Vox. Vox is funny, and tbh the admins can actually use it in such a manner (barring that round when SOMEONE C&P "shit" into it too many times and the round had to be restarted) that's funny and not tiring. When I hear vox, I think admin. And honestly I prefer it this way. I dont want clown johnson every round, just like I don't want macho mann every round. It's less about "my immersion" and more about whether something goes stale or not. And this would make vox very stale. And that would make me sad because i love vox.

What would be cool though is a mechanic based system that spits out vox noises. This would mean you'd have to know a bit of programming, the crew could play with it, as could the AI. It would be a reward for people who do a bit of work, kind of like the paint machine, but maybe not as buttshit hard.
Sundance Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:

This this this.

Time to piss all over the Vox brigade.
I dunno about AI Vox. Vox is funny, and tbh the admins can actually use it in such a manner (barring that round when SOMEONE C&P "shit" into it too many times and the round had to be restarted) that's funny and not tiring. When I hear vox, I think admin. And honestly I prefer it this way. I dont want clown johnson every round, just like I don't want macho mann every round. It's less about "my immersion" and more about whether something goes stale or not. And this would make vox very stale. And that would make me sad because i love vox.

What would be cool though is a mechanic based system that spits out vox noises. This would mean you'd have to know a bit of programming, the crew could play with it, as could the AI. It would be a reward for people who do a bit of work, kind of like the paint machine, but maybe not as buttshit hard.

If you could some how make a vox that works like a tts engine, I think giving it to mechanics would just end up with someone eventually copying moonbase alpha.

It would be funny but eventually run into the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B488z1MmaA
Just a quicky, you could separate the admin Vox from the AI Vox by having the ai's Vox have an added BING BONG at the start, like at an airport before the speaker starts talking.