Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas for Space pod/Space centered jobs
There is a lack of jobs that deal primarily with space(Odd seeing as it's a SPACE station).
Some people's favorite thing to do is to go off into space.
Instead of having normal crew shirking their responsibilities and going off into space, why not have one or more jobs where this is actually part of their job description?
I'm sure there's plenty of ways to do this in a manner that fits in with everything else and adds more fun.

Here's an idea to get started:
Space Coastguard(obviously would need a better name)
  • Would be kind of like a space coastguard/search and rescue.
  • Similar in feel of job to janitor and detective in that there's only one and you have a unique role that isn't in a fixed location.
  • Their job would be to Monitor pod activity around station, patrol the debris field,search for spaced bodies and give any found items of value to the appropriate departments.
  • They'd have a little office and private dock next to the main pod bay, which would be open to access to all heads.
  • They'd have their own pod which would be an unarmed heavy pod.
    It would have a collection device on the front that could catch bodies and transfer them to the cargo hold.
    The reason for this is that often there are high speed corpses that will explode if you touch them.
    It won't accept the living unless emagged.
  • They'd also have their own spacesuit.
  • The antag version of this job would be interesting. (imagine if you were a vampire).
    Your objectives would likely lead you on the station and you would attract suspicion by being on station rather than in space.
    You would have a distinct advantage in space however.
  • the job would be dangerous because you'd be isolated a lot of the time and be generally targeted by antags for making space less of an easy killing ground
Realistically, one guy in a pod is not going to be able to keep the entirety of space safe. Unless you catch someone in the act of spacing a guy, then most of the job is largely going to be fruitlessly floating around the debris field looking for corpses which may or may not be there. If people already know where the corpses are and can be arsed to collect them, sec already has pods and can bring along a crate/closet to stuff people in.
Roomba Wrote:Realistically, one guy in a pod is not going to be able to keep the entirety of space safe. Unless you catch someone in the act of spacing a guy, then most of the job is largely going to be fruitlessly floating around the debris field looking for corpses which may or may not be there. If people already know where the corpses are and can be arsed to collect them, sec already has pods and can bring along a crate/closet to stuff people in.
The point isn't to keep the whole of space safe. same way, realistically the janitor can do little to keep the whole of the station clean. the point is more to fill in a gap in the job roles. imagine if there was no janitor or detective. you'd get some engineers trying to pick up trash left around and cleaning up spillages and you'd get some sec officers trying to piece together evidence to catch criminals. The job would be about creating an official presence in space. If someone reports a body being spaced, they'll go look for it. If someone is stranded or is dying and calls for help over the radio or pda, they'll go pick them up and bring them back to the station. if science or cargo wants some items from space, they'll them to go look for it.there are different playstyles for this role. someone might want to just patrol the station and help security.
Sec already has two pods for that, though. And anyone who grabs a pod from the hangar can do the same. I don't think it's a job role that really needs filling.
A new job... Even if this is only an idea, I like it! Traitor items for this job: Pod number 13, the only pod looking exactely like a drone, fooling drones (they don't chase and kill you,) shooting like a normal pod, exists in a small and big version; Spacesuit number 13, the only spacesuit fooling drones, can be combined with a body armor to make it more resistant. <--- suggestion for this suggestion
tbh I like this, it would be really fine if you could have a guy jumping in to save you when you shout "im being spaced" as opposed to now where no one will give a single fuck
giving them a special radar that can tell you if there's bodies around would make it hecka useful

also this could finally be a use for the tractor beam
Roomba Wrote:Sec already has two pods for that, though. And anyone who grabs a pod from the hangar can do the same. I don't think it's a job role that really needs filling.
How often do you see sec use those pods? sure they are useful if there's a rogue pod, or for taking on the syndicate pods in nuke, but they rarely get used. besides isn't it better to give security less reasons to leave the station? Just because a task is possible with current jobs doesn't mean it will get done as it's not a responsibility. what I'm proposing is the opposite situation of, say, chemists getting merged with scientists for example. that was to limit chemical craziness by making chemicals less of a priority. this is to increase the priority of space rescue/ patrolling/ etc. by making someone responsible for it.
icarus Wrote:giving them a special radar that can tell you if there's bodies around would make it hecka useful

also this could finally be a use for the tractor beam
Pods already have this function built into scanners, I guess have one with a larger range?
I like this idea, and I don't see why it couldn't at least be added as a gimmick job as a test to see how well it works out. Just give them access to the pod hangar and EVA and some pod equipment in their bags to install into one of the existing pods.
Make a salvager pod (Or a mod for pods that lets it salvage) Add a salvage job that can fly around and collect all that shitty useless debris in space and smelt it into useable or sellable refined materials. Bingo. Space job.
Rather than that, why not make it possible to load bodies into pods directly? There've been a few times where I found a spaced body while flying around in a pod and just not bothered to pick it up because, frankly, it's a HUGE pain in the ass to retrieve a body in deep space. You need to have a spacesuit and either a crate or a jetpack to even attempt it, and I don't usually have those when I go on space joyrides.
Why not just add more things to do in space and maybe one explorer/thief gimmick job.

TG has an ultra hard vault to hack into, I kinda think it would be neat if there was a space vault in the asteroid belt that would be just as hard to crack. There's a few safes you can crack into, and a vault with sec drones in it, but more space crime is fun.

Like add some AI turrets, and maybe some security bots, and a bolted door. Throw some cash/drugs/whatever behind it and challenge people to crack it open.

Crime of the century.
atomic1fire Wrote:Why not just add more things to do in space and maybe one explorer/thief gimmick job.

TG has an ultra hard vault to hack into, I kinda think it would be neat if there was a space vault in the asteroid belt that would be just as hard to crack. There's a few safes you can crack into, and a vault with sec drones in it, but more space crime is fun.

Like add some AI turrets, and maybe some security bots, and a bolted door. Throw some cash/drugs/whatever behind it and challenge people to crack it open.

Crime of the century.
I agree. There's lots of things you can do over on the mining z-level, sure, but the vast majority of them are either giant question marks that may or may not have cool stuff but are almost entirely useless until someone figures it out (e.g. the drone corpse) or are just alcoves in the middle of nowhere with some cool stuff and abandoned crates. There's variety in setting, but significantly less variety in content, or at the very least content readily usable by the common explorer. More places like Hemera, sprawling and hostile places filled with dangers but considerable loot, would be a welcome sight.
Someone hasn't been to Mars.
Anticheese Wrote:Someone hasn't been to Mars.
Mars is too easy. It's not even a prep things, you just need an extinguisher.

For a proper vault,