Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bring back the filler jobs
Some other servers have lawyers, and even on some serious RP stations the lawyers are ignored 50% of the time by security. That's with a playerbase that follows regulations to the letter. If we had a lawyer job here on Goonstation, security would just tell the lawyer to fuck off every single round the moment he opens his mouth, and would just get the HoP to demote him to Staff Assistant before he frees a traitor or some bullshit.

Honestly if I'm playing security and an assistant in a lawyer suit comes up requesting to help a criminal I let them. It's a gimmick. It's not there every round, so I'm more inclined to listen to them. If Lawyer was a job I might abide them for a few rounds, but it would get pretty old pretty quickly, and then we would just reach the point where everyone ignores them simply out of habit.

Idea incoming:

That being said, I'm a little conflicted on the idea overall. While these filler jobs are basically shoehorning someone into doing one particular gimmick - which is unfun, there's not a whole lot to be lost by adding them to the mix. Maybe make a new group in the job selection screen titled "Filler" and have a "Be Filler" option at the bottom near "Be Captain," Be AI," etc. It would default as "No." This means people who don't want to be a filler job never have to be one, and people who do can put those in their preferences.

Everyone walks away happy, as people who want to play filler jobs get to, and people who don't will never have to if they don't want to.
even if you set your preference not to be something, you still have a chance to become the job.
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:even if you set your preference not to be something, you still have a chance to become the job.
Step 1: Fix that
Step 2: Do this
Speaking as a relative newcomer, I think adding in any more jobs to the selection screen is just going to scare off new players. It's already kind of a steep learning curve, and with more jobs listed at the start, it will look that much steeper.
How about these jobs become prestige jobs, sort of like the HoS, and only people worthy of the job are allowed to pick them?
Why would adding jobs that only maybe 20% of the players can use will make filler jobs interesting?
V12US Wrote:How about these jobs become prestige jobs, sort of like the HoS, and only people worthy of the job are allowed to pick them?

hahaha no
h3half Wrote:Idea incoming:

That being said, I'm a little conflicted on the idea overall. While these filler jobs are basically shoehorning someone into doing one particular gimmick - which is unfun, there's not a whole lot to be lost by adding them to the mix. Maybe make a new group in the job selection screen titled "Filler" and have a "Be Filler" option at the bottom near "Be Captain," Be AI," etc. It would default as "No." This means people who don't want to be a filler job never have to be one, and people who do can put those in their preferences.

Everyone walks away happy, as people who want to play filler jobs get to, and people who don't will never have to if they don't want to.
This actually is a good idea, and is quite a simple fix.
I still like my Job Roullete idea,

Mostly because you could take random words and make new gimmicks out of them.

e.g Billy Mays has entered the station as an owl activist, Old man Jenkens has entered the station as a Cake salesmen. Etc.
atomic1fire Wrote:I still like my Job Roullete idea,

e.g Billy Mays has entered the station as an owl activist, Old man Jenkens has entered the station as a Cake salesmen. Etc.
Don Boyland is a owl cake sales activist.
add job roulette as a random job option in preferences. Would probably be really annoying to code. Just re add filler jobs there's no drawbacks to it
I like the idea of a filler or not filler option.

Parts of job roulette could just be borrowed from gang name code maybe (I could be wrong in fact I probably am)

I mostly suggest job roulette as a thing because it's not just a reason to get a free costume, and it adds filler jobs without being totally boring, once someone plays boxer or clown a few times, they could get bored, or use it as a ticket to grief. If someone chooses job roulette and enters the station as a Monkey tamer and has a cool hat, they'll want to pick a random job again, and possibly end up as something really dumb, or really awesome, without playing the same filler role twice.

This is pretty cool. Could probably just use the gang naming code with new names, and give the guy a random cool costume (or perhaps make the costumes associated to words in the job title, so if you get "monkey safari guide" you'd get a green jungle-explorer-whatever-coat that is associated with one of the words in the job).
V12US Wrote:How about these jobs become prestige jobs, sort of like the HoS, and only people worthy of the job are allowed to pick them?

that is so much work dudes

Timelimit Wrote:

This is pretty cool. Could probably just use the gang naming code with new names, and give the guy a random cool costume (or perhaps make the costumes associated to words in the job title, so if you get "monkey safari guide" you'd get a green jungle-explorer-whatever-coat that is associated with one of the words in the job).

this would be more.

p much let people order clown cars and omj can shut up
Okay, I'm picking a side, I think this thread is dumb, I mean, does the barman usally get noticed at all? Does anyone really go to the bar that much anymore? That's (to me) some proof that filler jobs won't get much use at all and is useless.