Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bring back the filler jobs
Yes, because there has to be a "million" filler jobs to make it work. :roll:

Simply making existing roles into jobs is enough. A barber, lawyer, clown, and a couple others that have proven fun or interesting through gimmickry and trial and error, is all that people are asking for. At this point, I really am wondering exactly why there's so much opposition to adding them in. All I've seen in this thread against adding in filler jobs is "Because Ugh, that button...".
The only job I am against adding is clown. Why, because clowns ate evil. FACT!
epicdwarf Wrote:The only job I am against adding is clown. Why, because clowns ate evil. FACT!
*are
neogeo0823 Wrote:Yes, because there has to be a "million" filler jobs to make it work. :roll:

Simply making existing roles into jobs is enough. A barber, lawyer, clown, and a couple others that have proven fun or interesting through gimmickry and trial and error, is all that people are asking for. At this point, I really am wondering exactly why there's so much opposition to adding them in. All I've seen in this thread against adding in filler jobs is "Because Ugh, that button...".
No. We do not want a lawyer job. That would be more useless than an engineer in most rounds. What we (read: I) want is for Staff Assistant as a start-of-round pick to have a chance of spawning the player as a barber/lawyer/clown/princess/mailman/owlsuitperson, or possibly a different color of assistant (medical assistant with no medical access sounds fun) at the start of the round. This doesn't fill up the job selection screen with pointless copies. It gives some much-needed variety to the most popular job.
neogeo0823 Wrote:stuff

The jobs you mention in your post are more useless than useless and it is pointless to add jobs that are only made for one thing and will only be interesting if you do one said thing. There are like three different colors of jumpsuits in the arrivals shuttle for goodness sake, if a person wants a different uniform or id then the options are there and plentiful.
Tell me frontline, how useful is the medical doctor? How useful is the detective? How useful is artifact research?
It does not matter if a job is useless. It only matters if it is fun.
If the job has only one use that works if everyone else wants to do it, like a lawyer holding a trial or a Boxer actually having boxing matches, then it means that every other time its going to be like a renamed assistant. All current jobs have uses that allow the person who holds the job to have actual things to do every shift.
What if we give these filler jobs more to do?
I'd like to see engineering expanded upon just as much as science, Face it, Engineers have nothing to do after the singularity is up.

Miners can at least go fart around in space if no one needs minerals, but unless there's a massive explosion and the doors to EVA fling open, engineers get bored quickly.
atomic1fire Wrote:I'd like to see engineering expanded upon just as much as science, Face it, Engineers have nothing to do after the singularity is up.

Miners can at least go fart around in space if no one needs minerals, but unless there's a massive explosion and the doors to EVA fling open, engineers get bored quickly.
this was already fixed in cogmap! smile the engine is now a fire that has to be stoked
UrsulaMejor Wrote:what you guys don't see is that most of the jobs on station are filler jobs, and the only reason you refuse to think of them that way is because you like them. if we gave medical doctors access to genetics, we could get rid of geneticists entirely. if we gave engineers access to electrician's, we could get rid of electricians, too. the rd doesn't actually do anything except take over chemistry and get high, and the hop is just a shitty gimmick generator that hands out all access IDs. and besides flavor/backstory reasons, what's the legitimate purpose its science?

if you got rid of every "unnecessary" or "filler" job, all we'd have is captain, security, medical doctor, engineer, and staff assistant.

filler jobs are what make the game fun.

because, again, you people just don't get it.

it's an emotional thing. a fucking EMOTION. not something you can define in strict terms. the difference is subtle, but it IS a difference, and you guys are just in denial because you like YOUR filler jobs, just not ours.
[quote="FrontlineAcrobat4"][/quotes] have you ever played barman or chef and enjoyed it? how would you feel if they were removed? (guess what, they are!) because those are filler jobs, and no one is arguing as to why we have them. why? because the coders think they're fun to play.

I think clowns and lawyers are ridiculously fun to play, personally. traitor clown is probably the single most fun experience I've had on station. I think a lot of people agree with me. why is it that what some people find fun is agreed upon by you weirdo 51% majority to be more legitimate than what we find fun? just because I hate playing chaplain doesn't mean I want it removed, because I know that some people have fun with it and I know it wouldn't be the same for them if they had to make a gimmick out of it.
I don't like this idea, honestly. Let's just take Clown as an example.

Clowns basically just run around, trip, and mess with people. This is literally what a Staff Assistant can do in 1 minute with the clown suit in Crew Quarters. The HoP will hand him a Clown ID 9/10 times. People will probably refer to him as "the clown" on sight.

So why not have someone spawn as the clown and save that bit of time? Because all you're doing is setting someone's gimmick out FOR them. I like to run around popping Hyperzine dressed as "MAIL CLOWN" and "delivering hilarity." That's a gimmick I do when I feel like it. But if I spawn in as the clown without actively wanting to be a clown, I'm just going to flush my clothes down disposals and get a job change, because I don't want to be a fucking clown. If I want to be a clown, I just have to rush crew quarters for the outfit. There's just no reason to have people spawn in as the thing. Just because you're the ACTUAL Space Lawyer instead of just an assistant dressed like one is not going to make people any more likely to listen to you. There is no filler job gimmick you can't pull off as an assistant that you could pull off if only your ID started set to the filler job.

Not only that, but people are used to wanting the special outfits for their own gimmicks/vanity purposes. If you make people spawn with them on, they're going to get knocked out and stripped in about 2 minutes.
Just explain to me what makes the barman or geneticist any more valid than the clown.
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:But if I spawn in as the clown without actively wanting to be a clown, I'm just going to flush my clothes down disposals and get a job change, because I don't want to be a fucking clown.
It was previously suggested to make it where you would only get said role if you choose it in your preferences.