Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artifact Lab Equipment Doesn't Scan
In the new Artifact Lab, there's a X-ray scanner, heating pad, electrical testing apparatus, automatic pitching machine, and an impact sensory pad.

Apparently how the gameplay works is that you place artifacts into or onto the various equipment, activate the machines to induce a stimulus (electrical shock, heavy impact, heat, radiation, whatever) and tweak the settings of the machines until the artifact activates. You can also scan the artifact with the machines ("gptio read <machine ID>") in order to figure out if it's reactive to the current machine's type of stimulus, or figure out what the artifact does.

This function used to work on the 'electrical testing apparatus', according to another player, but is currently only available on the X-ray scanner and impact sensory pad, making it unavailable on the heating pad and electrical testing apparatus.

This would appear at first glance to be a deliberate feature, indicating that those machines simply don't possess artifact-scanning capability, but that's apparently untrue. When you attempt to scan an artifact with a machine which isn't designed to scan artifacts but instead to provide stimulus, such as the pitching machine, using 'gptio read <machine ID>', it notifies you that the machine does not have scanning capabilities. When you attempt to scan an artifact with the heating pad or electrical testing apparatus, however, the out put is "loading..." for a few seconds, followed by "Timed out."

These factors make me think that the electrical testing apparatus and the heating pad are supposed to be able to scan artifacts, but miswiring, misconfiguration of the default network status, or a game code-related bug is preventing them from producing the artifact's analysis output before it times out.
I checked and apparently the GPTIO command list was missing a "sense" command that would take the readings that "read" was supposed to fetch. Furthermore, because there were no default readings to return, the scanner would just whine into the void and time out. This should be fixed now (???).
"Sense" a sensor and then "read" to see what it found.
There is also no apparent way to attach artifacts to the heating pad, or else it is returning false readings regarding the artifact's temperature.

I've tried dragging artifacts onto the heating pad with my cursor, as with the electrical testing apparatus, along with interacting with it in all other conceivable ways. When an artifact is placed onto the heating pad, then the heating pad is activated, the 'sense' and 'read' commands return an 'ERROR' for the artifact's temperature, which would seem to indicate that there is no artifact attached to the heating pad, or that it is not collecting readings properly.

This may also be the case with the impact sensory pad, but I have no idea what's up with that thing.