Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweaked Modes; Vigilante and Apprentice
I was thinking about some modes that would add some colour into a mixed match, something that wouldn't take much alteration or coding to do, just tweaked versions of modes that are already there.
Here's what I've come up with:

You are a Vigilante
Nanotrasen security have proved to you that they are incapable of controlling the station, time to take matters into your own hands.
Eliminate criminal scum by all means necessary.

These are your objectives:
Objective 1: Find and assassinate the Traitor(s)
Objective 2: Do not harm or kill any civilians through your actions.
Objective 3: Capture Max Power, the Head of Security, alive to bring back to Centcom.

Type 246 Omega into your PDA ringtone to unlock your equipment.
Furthermore, killing any more than 3 civilians will result in your implant to be detonated.
Do not let us down. Good luck soldier.

This a tweak of traitor, but the kind of traitor that targets other traitors.
You start off not knowing the traitor, so like any vigilante you hunt for him, prowling through the station like a bad cop on drugs. The problem is: Nobody likes you. The crew just see you as another traitor, although some may sympathise with you, many just want to rob your of your shit.
The cops don't like you because of your violence attitude, that and one of your objectives is targeting their boss (or the captain, depends who's there on the round)
The traitors definitely don't like you. It ain't easy being a vigilante.
Your equipment is different than the average traitor: It's lacking bombs, poison, mind slave implants, emags, etc. All those are for causing chaos, not your style.
It contains more lethal in-your-face-holy-shit-vigilante stuff like Spacker shotgun + ammo (or other guns), infra-reds (because you don't want to beat down the detective to get it), TURD armor, stun mines, stun gloves (the longer lasting kind), muli-frequency headset, stimpacks, etc.
This is less about assassinating and secrecy and more about kicking down a door and charging at someone with your rifle. Refer to The Comedian from The Watchmen. You're him.

You are an Apprentice
The wizard federation has set the following operation as the final test to be accepted within the higher ranks. Work with your team to complete your objectives for glory and power.
These are your objectives:
Objective 1: Corrupt 60% of the station
Objective 2: Assassinate the AI and cyborgs
Objective 3: Assassinate all Heads of Staff

Use your spell book to select your spells. You currently have 2 points.
Failure will lead to certain death or ridicule.

This is a tweak of wizard, only this time there's 3 on a team. Unlike the wizard who starts off with magic missile and phase shift, you don't. You need to spend your points on it. Another thing is you only have 2 points, so you would have to have a small talk with the other apprentices on what they are picking so that you can think of a strategy with your powers. All in all, you have 6 spells between you.
The different strategies you could employ are endless, that's why I think this could be a really good game mode. You could have one apprentice who has knock and blind running into a room and casting it, followed by another apprentice who ran through the door that was opened using fireball, while the other apprentice keeps that meddling security guard at bay with a quick spell of warp. That's just off the top of my head too, I'm sure other people could be more creative.
Sundance Wrote:Vigilante.

nananananan Batman
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:Vigilante.

nananananan Batman

Possible armour option along with others. Would fit nicely into the mode too.

Also, with the apprentices, obviously to distinguish them from other wizards is a pink sparkly robe with the pink apprentice hat and a shorter beard, so you look hilariously lame as hell.
These are pretty cool, but I have to wonder if people would really resist the Vigilante if his gear was unique to him. I like the idea, but if he's out to kill traitors, and only he can get a Spacker normally, would people really attack/freak out about him if they saw him blasting away at the RD or something with his Spacker? Sec might consider him an asset if he waltzed in and spawned something that proved his role. Hell, they might hand him all access and a taser. I guess his assignment to capture the HoS/Captain would put a damper on that a little, but I think he'd really have to have more serious bad objectives to encourage him to not get caught. Then again, if he's all about being loud and dangerous, that's not that easy of an option, so....ugh. It's cool but I don't think it would really work in practice.

The apprentice one is pretty funny though, I like to see Wizards working together. The tight limit on spells and lack of the Wizard's basics would reduce the hell out of their survivability though. Can't really see Blink, Phase Shift, or Teleport working well in a team setting, since they'd take half your slots and only affect you. Maybe they would deserve a few special spells that assist them in working together, like a spell that phase shifts all the apprentices within a certain distance, or a spell that heals all the nearby apprentices for a bunch of damage and makes them tougher for a while.
Vigilante is a dumb idea. Antagonists are there to cause chaos so having a guy who gets an antag role but has to stop other antagonists is dumb. Traitors don't need a superhero hunting them, most of them have enough trouble with a couple of rent-a-cops.

Apprentice is alright, though.
I rather like both vigilante and apprentice, but vigilante seems hard to balance. I could only see it working of sec also hunted any known vigilantes, as well as traitors. But even if it becomes a rule to arrest them, I can see sympathetic/lazy secs releasing him to go catch the traitor due to incompetence/laziness.
I also don't like the idea of giving them special equipment, they should simply grab their trusty fire extinguisher/chemical/jury-rigged pipebomb and go to town on any traitors they suspect.

I especially like the fact that, since he only gets 3 civilian kills, he'll have to be careful as fuck about who he decides to murder, less he suffer a painful fiery death.

Apprentice mode is nice in theory, but I'm predicting a 99% fail rate, since they're fucked if even one member of the brethren dies. If you give them much more, they'll be horribly overpowered and would demolish the station within minutes.
Maybe you could give the wizards a normal amount of spells, but have them weakened even in full gear. If they lose a piece of gear, then their spells will become even weaker than they already are. If they lose all their gear and foolishly try to cast a spell, then the spell would backfire. (fireball would target the wizard, shocking grasp would blow him up, teleport would teleport him to space, etc).